Post-Game Talk: Bloos @ Capz preseason 10/3/16 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovi has to be in better shape due to WCH preparation. Nothing strange there. Will see if he can peak again in May.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Oshie is still absolutely ridiculous in shootouts. Good game tonight, we could've ended it before OT with all those chances but Hutton was sharp in nets for the Blues.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Goalies really need to rethink how they handle Oshie in the shootout. Maybe they need to go completely unorthodox, and shade to one side. Try to bait him.

Playing him straight up? They are flat out getting embarrassed. They cannot do any worse than playing it by the book.

Last edited:

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
I like what I see from Sanford so far when it comes to skill. He makes some poor decisions at times but he has all the tools and the size to play in the top six some day.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Very impressed with Sanford and the 4th line. They won lots of battles, and Sanford made some really nifty plays, created some chances (breakaway for Bura) and looked defensively solid. Sill and Carey were good on the PK, played most of their shifts on the Blues zone and Walker was good aswell with his speed. The 3rd line (Winnik-Beagle-Connolly) were pretty bad in this one.

Lots of heat on Winnik, Connolly and Galiev after this one IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Galiev ended up on the waivers.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I cant see the game here. Did Galiev play badly v the Blues?
He didn't play but I think Carey is making a case to be a more effective NHLer while carrying the same minimum cap hit. It's entirely possible Carey clears waivers so not making that move could keep their depth more intact but it's also entirely possible Galiev clear waivers if he goes the entire pre-season pointless. (Not that many players are putting up points so far. They've yet to score more than two goals or more than one even-strength goal in a game.)

If the bar was high on Vrana to produce then the heat should be on both Connolly and Galiev to do the same. Connolly and Walker at least provide some energy and finish their checks. Galiev did some decent things with Vrana but they didn't finish. Waiver-exemption and being more of a name player shouldn't keep Galiev from being in direct competition with Carey IMO. Carey has had a better camp so far, even aside from the goal.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't "get" Galiev. He's been around for years and years and still hasn't shown any sparkle. Has he ever even killed it in a preseason game? :squint:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I have zero fear of Galiev getting claimed on waivers and definitely feel he needs to play if he is ever going to develop so would prefer he gets sent down to Hershey. Part of me wonders if he is sent down if he will ask for his release so he can go to the KHL though.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Nathan Walker just seems like a very similar option as Stan Galiev, but he's much more visible in games. Both are fast players that can put up some points, but Walker seems like a much better player on the forecheck and along the boards. Plays with more grit too.

This time of the year there are much better players than Stan Galiev clearing the waivers. No way they should fear that now. Not that it would be a big loss anyway.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
With no clear picture with meh guys they better go with safe path for youngsters with higher potential (Vrana, Sanford). I dont mind anything for Galiev, Walker and Carey.

From the past, I thought Carey provided some energy and physicality in his time here. Galiev is meh for ages already, that's right.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The other consideration is that Carey isn't going to be at a great loss if he doesn't regularly play (whereas it's a detriment to Galiev's development), and that Carey can PK. Galiev doesn't PK, and isn't going to get any PP2 time with Eller, Burakovsky, Kuzy, Williams, Orlov, Niskanen and Sanford all competing for power play time.

Waive Galiev - if he gets claimed, maybe he'll get more of a chance on another team. If he clears, he gets far more reps and playing time in the AHL and remains an NHL call up with a low cap hit.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The only real "unique" asset Galiev brings is being Ovechkin's stand-in on the powerplay should Ovechkin get hurt. Otherwise there are other players competing for spots that do many of the same things he does and have a more well-rounded game than he does.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'd say about once every other game, Galiev would have one moment, create one opening that another fourth liner would never have the skill to create, but they weren't converted, and I don't know that he's worth wasting a useful spot for that alone. He's not even that bad at other things like defensive positioning or stickwork, it just might not be enough to make him worth a sweater.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The only real "unique" asset Galiev brings is being Ovechkin's stand-in on the powerplay should Ovechkin get hurt. Otherwise there are other players competing for spots that do many of the same things he does and have a more well-rounded game than he does.

He's never done that, I can't recall him scoring a single PPG for the Caps in that manner. Granted, Ovechkin is rarely ever injured or even too tired to skip a PP. Frankly, if Ovechkin were to get hurt, I think we could have a decent PP by using Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and maybe even Bowey at the point.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Orlov-Niskanen seems to be the full time PP2 pairing this season, so I'd imagine it would be Orlov-Carlson on PP1 if Ovi wasn't playing. I'm guessing it'll be Orlov-Schmidt in the event Niskanen isn't on PP2.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orlov-Niskanen seems to be the full time PP2 pairing this season, so I'd imagine it would be Orlov-Carlson on PP1 if Ovi wasn't playing. I'm guessing it'll be Orlov-Schmidt in the event Niskanen isn't on PP2.

I wonder how long that lasts, Ov not playing the full pp? If Orlov's pp time is based on Ov being on the bench, I am not thinking he gets a lot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He's never done that, I can't recall him scoring a single PPG for the Caps in that manner. Granted, Ovechkin is rarely ever injured or even too tired to skip a PP. Frankly, if Ovechkin were to get hurt, I think we could have a decent PP by using Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and maybe even Bowey at the point.

Galiev played that spot in Hershey during his one good year in the AHL. Playing the left circle on the powerplay was fairly instrumental to him saving his career after bouncing between the AHL and ECHL for two years.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I wonder how long that lasts, Ov not playing the full pp? If Orlov's pp time is based on Ov being on the bench, I am not thinking he gets a lot.

Trotz clearly stated he is going to get power play time, and I can't see them repeating the mistake of having Orlov on ice as the sole defender because of the risk of a breakaway leading to a short handed goal. Otherwise preseason would be the time to try him out again as the PP RH defender next to Ovi, wouldn't it?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Galiev played that spot in Hershey during his one good year in the AHL. Playing the left circle on the powerplay was fairly instrumental to him saving his career after bouncing between the AHL and ECHL for two years.

Yes, but can he execute on the PP at the NHL level? I doubt it, we've seen more skilled players like Oshie completely fail to score from the Ovi spot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You don't need to be a highly "skilled" player to execute from the Ovechkin spot. You need to have a quick release and be able to create seams. I think Galiev can do that, especially given that he already has experience doing that.

That being said, that skillset alone likely isn't worth keeping him on the roster.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You don't need to be a highly "skilled" player to execute from the Ovechkin spot. You need to have a quick release and be able to create seams. I think Galiev can do that, especially given that he already has experience doing that.

That being said, that skillset alone likely isn't worth keeping him on the roster.

Indeed, if that's the only thing Galiev can bring to the team at this point, might as well put him on waivers. We have two right handed Ds who can handle the point if Ovi were to get injured.

How is Connolly's shot BTW? Does he have a good one timer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad