Post-Game Talk: Bloody good game

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
I love how Anderson looked all poised and resolute at the start of the game. Then one dirty goal got in, you can see him start to get shaky...and eventually he lost the game in overtime. Classic. And this time you can't blame the defense in front of him.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Even if the Leafs lost last night that was their best game of the season and the most fun to watch. Really well played. Both teams wanting to win for their goalies who played for the opponent the previous season. Let's just hope #34 is okay.
I liked the spanking we gave the Avalanche, 8 _3 was the best

Reactions: ER89

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I love how Anderson looked all poised and resolute at the start of the game. Then one dirty goal got in, you can see him start to get shaky...and eventually he lost the game in overtime. Classic. And this time you can't blame the defense in front of him.

I dunno, I thought both goalies pretty well myself.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

No but this time they're blaming the refs for him flopping around on the OT goal and giving up that horrible rebound to Marner for the tying goal, I'm so happy we moved on from him. That Carolina defence is making him look a lot better than he really is.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021

Yes, I thought myself too. :P

I didn't say they didn't. I just said I like how the game resulted much in the same way Anderson's games usually did. At first he looked like a bloody robot out there and thought he would totally bone the Leafs out of spite or something.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Little surprised at the goaltending comments and makes me wonder about expectations.

Both made some difficult saves, had some luck and allowed a softie you don't want to see every night. It's 3 GA for each in regulation with a goal you can't allow on a regular basis (Mraz -2nd and Fred's 3rd)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Disagree. I've been through decades of this team sucking before Marner was even born so I need it it more.

I've seen so many posts like this, really hope they don't come back to haunt you guys.
Actually, he looked real good the first two periods.
That game really affirmed for me that the competition between good teams is measured in inches. Game easily could have gone either way. Slim margin of error, for both teams.
I feel the same way evaluating goalies, as a rule.
The difference between a backup and a HOF’er is about one save a game.
Glad to have the two points against a top team.

Reactions: banks and Confucius

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Freddy has the ability to be a phenomenal goalie on every given night. I always said his ability to track the play was just not where it needs to be on a consistent basis.

This was the case on goals 2 and 3

That set play on goal 2 was nice execution from the Leafs, but how many f***ing times has Freddy seen that play unfold? in games, practice and team meetings...etc

Auston had half of the net to shoot at, and it was all because Freddy was late on his read. Sure the defending on that play was less than ideal, but it really should have been a routine push off for Fred and in all likelihood a pretty routine save. Auston didn't get all of that shot. But as we saw the last 2 seasons, Freddy fails to make a read on a developing play and subsequently is face down and barely off his right post as the puck sails past his left side. I've seen probably 50-75 goals against Freddy exactly like this where half of the people will say, ahh he had no chance because there was an open net. Yet with even an OK read on that play Freddy could have at least given himself a chance at making a save. (See Exhibit-A below)
upload_2022-2-8_8-42-51.png

Seriously Fred, how have you not even started your push off? the puck is half way onto Matthews blade.

goal 3, Freddy loses track of the puck on the wall, and Timmy makes a great play to just fire it on net. It should have been a simple redirect to the corner, or he even could have ate it with his trapper. Instead, he burps it right out to Marner and that was the difference in that game.

It's always been a tale of 2 tapes for Freddy. He makes a ton of saves he shouldn't, and fails to do the very simple things that consistently would put him in the Vezina conversation year over year. He made some big stops on Willy and Auston early on, and then costs his team the W with shit like this.

Love Freddy, I know he can be better, but this is what you get with him most of the time. I think it works in Carolina because they are so defensively sound in and around the net, but it was a complete tire fire in TOR because of our inability to defend in and around our net

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Freddy’s problem is he wants to play in control and sort of cruise control to success but when things get a little crazy he struggles in the fight. You can see it with the way he has trouble fighting to see the puck in traffic, struggles with the battles in front of the net with traffic, making the extra saves on a scramble. Obviously you can say that’s where most goalies will struggle but I just don’t see the extra fire where he’ll make the desperation, 10 alarm save too often.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
When we see them in playoffs, you may sieze your excitement and comments about Anderson.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
This win was hard. And there is nothing wrong with that. I know some want to see a 7-1 New Jersey game against a team like this. But in reality, every game will be hard in the playoffs so good to get the practice in. Anyone expecting 60-minute mistake free domination, well you'll likely never get it. Gotta take the tough and hard moments with the good moments.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Freddy has the ability to be a phenomenal goalie on every given night. I always said his ability to track the play was just not where it needs to be on a consistent basis.

This was the case on goals 2 and 3

That set play on goal 2 was nice execution from the Leafs, but how many f***ing times has Freddy seen that play unfold? in games, practice and team meetings...etc

Auston had half of the net to shoot at, and it was all because Freddy was late on his read. Sure the defending on that play was less than ideal, but it really should have been a routine push off for Fred and in all likelihood a pretty routine save. Auston didn't get all of that shot. But as we saw the last 2 seasons, Freddy fails to make a read on a developing play and subsequently is face down and barely off his right post as the puck sails past his left side. I've seen probably 50-75 goals against Freddy exactly like this where half of the people will say, ahh he had no chance because there was an open net. Yet with even an OK read on that play Freddy could have at least given himself a chance at making a save. (See Exhibit-A below)
View attachment 505544

Seriously Fred, how have you not even started your push off? the puck is half way onto Matthews blade.

not only all that - but because of his poor lateral quicks, he again has to resort to flopping to get back across, which takes away some of the area along the ice but leaves the majority of the net wide open.

Reactions: stickty111

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Actually, he looked real good the first two periods.
That game really affirmed for me that the competition between good teams is measured in inches. Game easily could have gone either way. Slim margin of error, for both teams.
I feel the same way evaluating goalies, as a rule.
The difference between a backup and a HOF’er is about one save a game.
Glad to have the two points against a top team.

So true. That's why I felt FLA was going to be good this season - I watched some of their games against TB in the playoffs and they were right there with them and we've seen teams win cups after being taken to game 7 OT so absolutely, there's a lot of parity between the top teams.

That's what pisses me off about how we've lost. It's one thing to battle hard and lose a close one, no shame in that. But when you get clobbered year after year in game 7 the way we've been doing, that's hard to take. In our last 4 game 7's, we've been outscored 18-6. The first two period of that we were up 4-3 against Boston but since then we've been outscored 15-2. I just can't get over those numbers, it doesn't even seem possible but it's all in the history books now. It better not happen again this year, it it does I just don't know how I'll get through the summer.

The thing about Freddy is he can play well and still lose you the game. We've seen it time and time again

He's the only big flaw on that Carolina team imo, he's good but not the goalie I think can take me to the cup

I think all the Freddie stuff is overblown and people are too attached to their narratives. I don't think he was to blame for us losing to CLB, him and his .936 SV% were just a convenient scapegoat. Wouldn't shock me if he sucked in the playoffs, wouldn't shock me if he won the cup there either. Goalies are voodoo but he's playing great now after playing not so great for the last two seasons so good for him, he deserves a lot of credit IMO and I wish him well (just not against us obviously).

Reactions: banks

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
They did, but I'm just pissed that Andersen rarely, if ever, gave the Leafs a good start too the season and then did just that for Carolina.

Was it a lack of off-season preparation as a Leaf?

It would only have been more of the same if he didn't move on.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Man how does a rebound bounce out in that direction after a shot like that? Horrific gaffe.

I stopped asking questions about Freddy after that shit he let in, in game 5 vs Columbus. That was worse than the Patrick Kane cup clinching goal.

Reactions: zeke

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

He's trying to eat the puck there which is the right play with Aho already blowing the zone, Martinook face down at the blue line and both of his defenders above the dots. The execution was horrendous. That cannot happen at the NHL level.

Even though playing the puck into the corner would have likely resulted in the Leafs keeping possession, it was the easier/safer of the 2 options.

That all said, he should have been able to play that puck the exact way he did and execute that save with ease. He lost focus for that split second, and that's all she wrote. That was always my knock with Freddy. Those are back breaking goals to allow. They just kill all forward momentum. Far too often we'd see goals like this to start a game and we instantly were chasing the game.

I genuinely believe in Freddy's abilities, and he is still a very good goalie, but I am happy he is no longer a Leaf. For him as well. I hope he continues to kill it in Carolina. They can manage those type of back breaking goals from time to time. Most of the time, they won't matter. In the Toronto market, that type of shit is like a negative cloud that won't go away.

on another note, did anyone else find this weird?

I wonder if there is some bad blood between Freddy and MLSE. In that Amazon series they clearly drive a narrative that Freddy was being difficult with respect to his injury. Almost insinuating he was faking it.

Not sure if it's just Koshan trying to stir the pot or not, but I found it interesting

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dont look now but if we win next game, we number 1 in the Atlantic. Go Leafs Go

I didn't realize that, that is very cool! Incredible that we've had to climb the standings for so long, just to get this close. Damn this division is tough!

Fun fact - last season, LV and COL tied for 1st overall with a .732 PTS% but as of today, our .733 PTS% is only good enough for 2nd in our division and 4th overall. It sure feels like this division is going to be a dogfight until the bitter end, I just hope we save some energy for the playoffs as being well rested and ready to battle is IMO more important than winning the division. Still, would feel pretty good to be in 1st place this late in the season, not sure when the last time was that happened. :)

They did, but I'm just pissed that Andersen rarely, if ever, gave the Leafs a good start too the season and then did just that for Carolina.

Was it a lack of off-season preparation as a Leaf?

It would only have been more of the same if he didn't move on.

He was so bad last year, I don't think anybody wanted him back. It's just so Leafy that he's killing it in Carolina this season.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I liked Freddy while he was here, flaws and all...and he most certainly has his flaws. I can't shake the feeling that he mentally bailed out on this team last year though and that does sour my overall impression on his time here. Canes fans will likely be left disappointed with his performance when they really need him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad