Blocking shots should be illegal

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Can't be any harder than Goalie Interference...just have it so a player can't purposely sprawl on the ice, and must have one skate on the ground at all times.

Problem there is what if a player falls accidentally? The refs would have to interpret what's an intentional leaving of the feet, and what's accidental.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
Not only would it create more goals, but the fewer injuries are the real reason.

Hate to see skilled guys go down, just because they have to "take one for the team"

so incredibly stupid. Let the goalies stop the pucks !
Idiotic

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Not only would it create more goals, but the fewer injuries are the real reason.

Hate to see skilled guys go down, just because they have to "take one for the team"

I would rather use softer pucks. Softer pucks made of edible Doritos flavored foam that would be designed to explode after the first slapshot. In the center of these pucks would be an extremely powerful hallucinogen (not unlike the one The League of Shadows used in their attempt to burn Gotham to the ground in Batman Begins.) that would quickly disperse into the lungs of both teams and their coaches. But in the pathogen, there's an intended design that co-ordinates to the registered DNA of all coaches and their assistants to activate first in them and then every two minutes into every player on the team in order of importance to the team, usually starting with goalies.

And what these weaponized pucks do - obviously - is obligate each team on the ice and on the bench into good old fashioned donnybrooks. And when the effects seemed to begin to fade, that fractured puck made of edible Doritos flavored foam strewn across the ice would induce as much fish-hooking and slew-footing as could be had until it had been licked clean off of the ice by apparent momentary, millionaire crackheads...

...Look, it's an intentionally exaggerated and silly way of explaining how incredibly stupid it is to suggest blocking shots should be removed from the game of hockey and how I'd rather watch real, unadulterated, physical, potentially very violent hockey as it's been played and as it was meant to be played for a half of a period and have it interrupted by nonsense than watch the proposed, PC version for an entire game.

I think the mainstream sport that doesn't have blocked shots and is competed for on ice, that you're looking for, is figure skating. Great sport.

But it's not NHL hockey.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Might be the most ridiculous post I've read in these boards

Reactions: ArchAngel55

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

Lol I love it

every day there's something new here. Just when you thought you'd read it all...

the entertainment value here keeps getting better and better;)

keep these posts coming guys, they brighten my day

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The gap between Auston Matthews and Iiro Pakarinen is still extremely apparent. The difference is at least Iiro has a chance to negate a couple of high end chances by Matthews by blocking some shots. Does this mean Auston Matthews skillset has been negated for an entire game? Of course not, it just means that Matthews and his linemates will have to move the puck around more to find a shooting lane that is less blocked. I don't understand how this is perceived as a bad thing that should be banned. Everything the NHL does now seems to be to create more goals. More goals more goals more goals. If you want to remove defensive tactics from the game because they prevent goals, then why even have defensemen?

I think it's a question of whether a behavior involves a particular high-level skill, or is simply an attempt to negate someone else's skill. Pakarainen would have a decent chance if he could trip, hold, or hook Matthews, but I think we can all agree that this requires no real skill and serves no purpose although it might be a good tactic (as long as it's not called by an official).

To go to the basketball example again, the NBA actually went 35+ years with zone defenses completely illegal. The reason was that actually defensively guarding someone requires skill, while standing between offensive players and then swarming to be little more than a warm body who could negate a skilled player did not. When Michael Jordan emerged, a standard offensive set with him was to put the other four Bulls away from Jordan, automatically occupying four defenders. Then it would be a 1-on-1 between Jordan and whoever was hapless enough to draw the assignment of guarding him. In order to limit this extreme disparity that favored the offense, the zone defense became permitted in conjunction with the three-second rule that prevents anyone from just standing in the paint.

I'm not saying that the NHL needs to adapt an illegal defense or anything like that, but this is an example of how the NBA forced players to actively defend instead of simply being able to passively do so by being nothing more than a space-occupier.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
it's pretty simple, take away the players shin pads and they probably aren't going to block shots.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not going to read the thread. I can see a how one might want to eliminate shot blocking where players dive at the shooter / drop down to their knees, and even then it'll have too many grey areas like goalie interference, but normal shot blocking would be ridiculous to eliminate.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Shot blocking shouldn't be illegal. Players should stop blocking shots like morons though. I hold my breath every time Pavelski or Couture throw themselves in front of slapshots.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It shouldn't be illegal. Shot blocking is needed in a reflex reaction or at the spur of the moment.

What I don't like is the dinosaur approach that we need players (mostly defensemen) who build their games around shot blocking. It just propagates the idea that it's okay to stay trapped in your zone and play ''Defense'' whenever you're out on the ice. Just make sure you block the shots, clear the crease and take the body and you're doing a good job! The worst is when they go to block a shot from the point that the goalie is gonna stop 99% of the time if it goes in without the botched block turning it into a change up deflection.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Just don't block shot from this guy and you won't be injured :)

CsqXGG4XgAIT8G9.jpg

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
pretty sure I read the OP post after the last Laine injury open ice hitting should be stopped.

Truthfully, anything that goes against Laine's dominance of the NHL should be stopped - obviously!
Nope, open ice hitting is great...... but breaking your ankle because you blocked a shot is just moronic.
You cause yourself pain and your team will feel the pain as well, when they are missing their star players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad