Blocked Shot - Hit Testicle

two out of three*

I wasn't wearing a cup last night.. And I dove out to block a shot, and of course.. Right in the left nut. Its pretty swollen/bruised, but I am not pee'ing blood or anything.. But the pain is still VERY excruciating.

What are some signs to tell if it is ruptured?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Why oh why would you not wear a cup? But yeah, get yourself to the doctor immediately, you're really not gonna get an accurate diagnosis from HF boards.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Something similar happened to me in paintball. I never got it checked out (which was probably stupid, although I've had physicals done and my doctor hasn't noted anything odd down there), hit my left nut. I was in pain for a couple weeks, although I don't know that it really swelled too much.

Could just imagine how much a ice cold puck that's much bigger than a paintball feels. Since then, I never do any kind of activity in which a projectile can come at high speeds toward me without a cup. One time I forgot my cup, and instead of playing without one, I immediately went to the proshop and bought a new one. If they were closed I would have went home. No way I'm taking that chance.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I think an alternate question would be is why would you willingly go down to block a shot knowing that you had no cup on? At the very least when you go down, your hand's gotta be cupping your balls.

BlackDog13

Jun 4, 2010
PA
You've already gotten the best answer several times...

Phone.Call.Doctor.Now.

Hopefully nothing is damaged beyond recovery, next time protect both heads. Helmet up high, cup down low.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
antique-12-trip-gong-pull-bell-for-fire-school-boxing_300496372850.jpg

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
You deserve it.

Anyone that blocks a shot that is hard enough to cause real pain without a cup is a complete idiot. I don't block shots at all unless it's a playoff game. I mean seriously you likely play in a beer league (same as i do ), so what is the point? sacrifice the body for a game that all of about 30 people care about?

It's about intensity, it takes balls (no pun intended) to block shots, especially without a cup. It may not be the smartest thing to do, but it takes a lot of courage and he demonstrated that he is a team player with spirit, beer league or no.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
You deserve it.

Anyone that blocks a shot that is hard enough to cause real pain without a cup is a complete idiot. I don't block shots at all unless it's a playoff game. I mean seriously you likely play in a beer league (same as i do ), so what is the point? sacrifice the body for a game that all of about 30 people care about?

I block shots all the time (no sliding pad stacks though) and it hurts sometimes but it's fun. It's a mild rush to step in front of a guy winding up and if you succeed it feels good. Now, blocking shots without a cup isn't the greatest idea but with a cup on there's no reason you shouldn't if you don't mind a stinger now and again.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I keep an extra cup in my bag just in case. As for your injury, check for swelling, discoloration, blood in the urine. I guess if you don't go to the doctor the least you can do is ice it down, which should feel awesome.

member 30781

If there is ever a need for this emoticon, NOW is the time......

:facepalm:

Not wearing a cup? That's ballsy :naughty:

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
:facepalm:

Seriously, if it's that important of a game where you have to put your life on the line...turn around and block it with your butt.

Jesus Christ, how stupid are people...?

umpft

Nov 19, 2010
A cup is something you only forget to wear ONCE!

I agree!

It's a dilemma. People often have a spare cup, the question is, would you ask for it before stepping on the ice for practice or not?

If you do, good chances are that you're going to get one, but would you wear it? Yuck!

And if nobody has a spare one, then now all your team mates know you're not wearing one and... depending on who your team mates are, it might not be a good thing. :sarcasm:

Parrish

Apr 2, 2004
Decatur; Indiana
It's about intensity, it takes balls (no pun intended) to block shots, especially without a cup. It may not be the smartest thing to do, but it takes a lot of courage and he demonstrated that he is a team player with spirit, beer league or no.

There is a difference in playing with intensity and being stupid. If you are going to block shots be fully geared . . . should be obvious.

At the rink I play (a Canlan) you aren't even able to play organized 5on5 hockey without full gear. They enforce this rule like any remotely well ran facility would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad