Proposal: Blockbuster between TOR and ARI

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Raanta wasn't going to get the #1 goaltender spot on a contending team, OEL will get the #1D spot on a contending team if he wants it. Not saying that it's a given that he's gone, but those two guys' situations are not the same thing

Their situations are similar enough: they're two talented guys on an "organization [that] is the absolute worst. They can’t seem to do anything right" and where players bolt the first chance they get.

Furthermore, I'm very certain Philly, Toronto, and New Jersey would have been very interested in Raanta if he hit the market. Perhaps they would not have guaranteed the starting spot to him, but they would have given him the opportunity to win it in camp/preseason.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Their situations are similar enough: they're two talented guys on an "organization [that] is the absolute worst. They can’t seem to do anything right" and where players bolt the first chance they get.

Furthermore, I'm very certain Philly, Toronto, and New Jersey would have been very interested in Raanta if he hit the market. Perhaps they would not have guaranteed the starting spot to him, but they would have given him the opportunity to win it in camp/preseason.
seems like you're still a little flustered because of something one poster said

I'm a Toronto fan, we would have no interest at all in Raanta unless he was coming as a backup for backup money on a backup term. I would guess the same for NJ who has Schneider as an established guy with pedigree and Kinkaid who seems to have taken the reigns

Raanta might get a chance to win a job with a good team, that doesn't come with 3x$4.25 and the catbird's seat to secure the next starter payday. OEL will get that security from a lineup of teams where Raanta gets it from very few and none that are contenders, considerable difference

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It's HFBoards, Original Six fanbases mocking the Coyotes is par for the course. Nothing flustering about it.
well, it seems like you're projecting one fans opinion onto the fanbase he happens to belong to, and making that the point that your responses are revolving around. That's not the opinion of the Coyotes held by every original six team fan, they haven't achieved much but I don't think Leaf fans are in a place to criticize

anyway, OEL and Raanta are not in the same situation, what one did shouldn't be perceived as precedent for what the other one will

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No GM think Gardiner is high value atm after the gongshow he gave in game 7. Atm everyone thinks, if the stakes are high Gardiner poops in his pants. Sure he is okish in the regular season, but many players are, but when it ia game 7, do you want Gardiner play 22 minutes and melt under the preasure or let him play 15-17 minutes and do what he is good at. I know what most thinks, even most Leaf-fans, they dont want him playing 22 minutes or more against top players.... so yes infact, he is not quality.
Swap out Gardiner for Polak. He was plus 3 in the same game. His value to other GMs must be sky high! A plus 3 in a 7-4 loss in a game 7. Zona might want to add. That one game means everything!

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
The Coyotes need to try to win, it’s the only way they will survive. They need more players like OEL to win, not trade them away.

Just because they haven’t been that good at winning doesn’t mean they can stop trying. That’s one thing they definitely have in common with the Leafs.

member 300185

TOR GETS:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson (D)* with a long-term extension agreement negotiated
- Max Domi (LW)

ARI GETS:
- William Nylander (RW/C)
- Jake Gardiner (D)
- Dmytro Timashov (LW/RW)
- 1st round pick, 2018 (25)

The Leafs finally get their high-end D piece in Ekman-Larsson. OEL becomes a huge, minute-eating defenseman and improves the Leafs PP to one of the best in the NHL. Toronto finally has (2) young, high-end defensemen in Rielly and Ekman-Larsson. They are a more balanced team.

The Leafs also get a young forward who is the son of a franchise favorite. Domi has bounce-back potential, after a couple of down years, and has the talent to thrive in a market like Toronto. The fans would have a chance to watch another Domi in blue and white for the foreseeable future.

Even though the Leafs break-up one of the 'Big 3" they land their prize on the blue line and get a forward who can replace some of Nylander's offense.

The Coyotes get a high-end, young, talented forward in William Nylander to go with their young forwards. A Keller-Nylander combo could be one of the most exciting tandems in the league soon, and the Yotes get back a much-coveted piece like Nylander in an OEL deal.

The Yotes move Domi, after much speculation, and bring in an offensive defenseman to soften the blow left by OEL's departure. While Gardiner is not as good all-around as Ekman-Larsson, he has the ability to put up similar offense, at least within arm's reach.

The Yotes also get back another quality forward prospect who can play either wing, and another 1st rounder in a fairly deep draft.

With their pick at 5, the Yotes focus their attention on the dynamic blue liner, Quinn Hughes, to eventually replace OEL as their #1 ace. Gardiner, Chychrun and Hughes give the Coyotes 3 point producers from the blue line to go with a dynamic, young forward core.
I dont hate this idea. Yea, we are giving up a bit but getting key pieces back and I believe Domi just needs a fresh start in a market in which he thrives.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nylander should be extended.

Let's sat this was a deal that both teams were actually discussing. Whether Nylander has been extended or not wouldn't be the end of the world or the thing that caused the trade from not moving forward. Arizona gets him and have time to sign that extension especially since he can't play anywhere else in the NHL.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Let's sat this was a deal that both teams were actually discussing. Whether Nylander has been extended or not wouldn't be the end of the world or the thing that caused the trade from not moving forward. Arizona gets him and have time to sign that extension especially since he can't play anywhere else in the NHL.

Why would he want to play for a low-tier team? Even with OEL and some rookies, the team can't enter the playoffs. He'd rather test FA.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Why would he want to play for a low-tier team? Even with OEL and some rookies, the team can't enter the playoffs. He'd rather test FA.

Please...that's not how the league works. He can't test free agency, well he can but the Coyotes would likely just match any offer.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Do you think he would get an offer sheet? When was the last time someone got one? Like I said him being signed or not has no impact on the trade.

If he gets offered an exorbitant amount, Arizona might not match for him. Simple as that.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Arizona gets hosed in that deal, especially since Toronto already gets OEL locked up long term as part of the deal. Obviously Nylander is a huge piece but he alone is not worth a re-signed OEL and I don't know if I would trade Domi for the other three pieces. Gardiner is a pending free agent and while he puts up points he sucks defensively and a decent prospect and late first round pick isn't exactly high end value.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Ya...OEL's playoff eliteness is what's missing in Toronto.

He'd be your best D, I think TO's missing more of that than Nylander's secondary scoring.

Not saying he's not good, far from that, but it looks like most of the eggs are in the same basket.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Let's see that over a full season please
This is classic coming from the guy who said Boston was the hottest team in the league coming into the playoffs with a 7-10 record. Then disappears to try to find another excuse why the leafs got bounced by team that was sub 500, in the last quarter of the season.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
This is classic coming from the guy who said Boston was the hottest team in the league coming into the playoffs with a 7-10 record. Then disappears to try to find another excuse why the leafs got bounced by tram that was sub 500, in the last quarter of the season.
Who are you and why are you stalking my posts?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He'd be your best D, I think TO's missing more of that than Nylander's secondary scoring.

Not saying he's not good, far from that, but it looks like most of the eggs are in the same basket.
Here's the thing....dum statements like "well without OEL you won't ever see the 2nd round" are just flat wrong. The Leafs could acquire Tanev while keeping Nylander...poof, big upgrade. The Leafs could acquire Hjalmarsson while keeping Nylander....poof, big upgrade. The Leafs don't need to make the big splash. Look at the teams left in the playoffs, other than Tampa with Hedman, they are teams with basically defense by commitee and good team overall defense.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nick Hjalmarsson
for
Andrew Nielson
Calvin Pickard
Jeremy Bracco
2nd

Rielly - Hjalmarsson
Gardiner - - - Zaitsev
Dermott - - Hainsey

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Nick Hjalmarsson
for
Andrew Nielson
Calvin Pickard
Jeremy Bracco
2nd

Rielly - Hjalmarsson
Gardiner - - - Zaitsev
Dermott - - Hainsey
Pass on this. Coyotes get worse in the short term. Quantity over quality. Coyotes need quality.

And they are set at goal. Zero need for Pickard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad