TOR GETS:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson (D)* with a long-term extension agreement negotiated
- Max Domi (LW)

ARI GETS:
- William Nylander (RW/C)
- Jake Gardiner (D)
- Dmytro Timashov (LW/RW)
- 1st round pick, 2018 (25)

The Leafs finally get their high-end D piece in Ekman-Larsson. OEL becomes a huge, minute-eating defenseman and improves the Leafs PP to one of the best in the NHL. Toronto finally has (2) young, high-end defensemen in Rielly and Ekman-Larsson. They are a more balanced team.

The Leafs also get a young forward who is the son of a franchise favorite. Domi has bounce-back potential, after a couple of down years, and has the talent to thrive in a market like Toronto. The fans would have a chance to watch another Domi in blue and white for the foreseeable future.

Even though the Leafs break-up one of the 'Big 3" they land their prize on the blue line and get a forward who can replace some of Nylander's offense.

The Coyotes get a high-end, young, talented forward in William Nylander to go with their young forwards. A Keller-Nylander combo could be one of the most exciting tandems in the league soon, and the Yotes get back a much-coveted piece like Nylander in an OEL deal.

The Yotes move Domi, after much speculation, and bring in an offensive defenseman to soften the blow left by OEL's departure. While Gardiner is not as good all-around as Ekman-Larsson, he has the ability to put up similar offense, at least within arm's reach.

The Yotes also get back another quality forward prospect who can play either wing, and another 1st rounder in a fairly deep draft.

With their pick at 5, the Yotes focus their attention on the dynamic blue liner, Quinn Hughes, to eventually replace OEL as their #1 ace. Gardiner, Chychrun and Hughes give the Coyotes 3 point producers from the blue line to go with a dynamic, young forward core.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
If real life, most likely. In this trade scenario, no, that would be Arizona, but they would have his rights.

I think it's unfair when Toronto gets extended OEL, whereas, Arizona doesn't get extended Nylander. I mean, it's not as Max Domi is a small addition to this trade.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think it's unfair when Toronto gets extended OEL, whereas, Arizona doesn't get extended Nylander. I mean, it's not as Max Domi is a small addition to this trade.

Well the difference is OEL will be an upcoming UFA and Nylander will be an RFA, so the Yotes still have his rights, just need to agree on a deal. The Leafs couldn't move Nylander and Gardiner to see OEL walk for nothing in a year. Big difference.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
More quality less pieces, that is Arizona answer. Gardiner Timashov and the first dont do much for them. Dermott is a must, so they get a real replacement for OEL.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Well the difference is OEL will be an upcoming UFA and Nylander will be an RFA, so the Yotes still have his rights, just need to agree on a deal. The Leafs couldn't move Nylander and Gardiner to see OEL walk for nothing in a year. Big difference.

Fair enough, but I heard Nylander might take over 2C. If he's gone, shouldn't there be a center coming back as well?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
More quality less pieces, that is Arizona answer. Gardiner Timashov and the first dont do much for them. Dermott is a must, so they get a real replacement for OEL.
Asking for Dermott is one thing. But you talk about quality pieces. You get a young stud winger that is coontrolled for the next 6 years and a number 3 defenceman who like OEL has one year left. ++. This sounds like a pretty even trade to be honest.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Asking for Dermott is one thing. But you talk about quality pieces. You get a young stud winger that is coontrolled for the next 6 years and a number 3 defenceman who like OEL has one year left. ++. This sounds like a pretty even trade to be honest.
But the hole OEL leaves is much bigger then Nylander fills. Wingers is not the problem for Coyotes, their biggest problem is centers (until Strome steps up) and defence. You weaken the defence and does not fix the other problem. Gardiner is not a number 3, you are doomed if he is that. He is a lefthanded Myers who should play on the third pair and PP, he does to many misstakesto let him play 20+ min.
So yes it is trash for Coyotes, they dont need prodpects and pick.
How about this, switch Nylander to Marner and let Arizona add, ( even if he is a winger he his much better then Nylander)
Would you do it?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
But the hole OEL leaves is much bigger then Nylander fills. Wingers is not the problem for Coyotes, their biggest problem is centers (until Strome steps up) and defence. You weaken the defence and does not fix the other problem. Gardiner is not a number 3, you are doomed if he is that. He is a lefthanded Myers who should play on the third pair and PP, he does to many misstakesto let him play 20+ min.
So yes it is trash for Coyotes, they dont need prodpects and pick.
How about this, switch Nylander to Marner and let Arizona add, ( even if he is a winger he his much better then Nylander)
Would you do it?
1. Gardiner is a number 3 with some defensive lapses

2. Talking about what holes it would create if you did trade OEL had nothing to do with what I was talking about. The person I responded to basically said it was a quantity deal and not a quality deal. Which isn’t true.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nobody, not even AZ can negotiate an extension with OEL until 7/1 as it's against the CBA rules, so including a 2018 pick in a deal for a player with a pre-negotiated extension is HF fantasy. I know people like to think they can do under the table deals outside of the CBA, but I don't buy it. Any agent worth his salt wouldn't touch that.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton would certainly like to acquire OEL. If Leaf fans would rather hold on to Nylander and Gardiner ... that's cool.

Reactions: Jakey53

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Jeezuz Cripes no.
Thiiiiiis. Thank God Dubas isn't this dumb.

Can this be locked based on the impossible premise of OEL being signed before the 2018 draft, seeing as OEL can only sign after July 1st?

And holy f***ing shit no rational Leafs fan gives a shit about Max Domi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad