Post-Game Talk: BLESS YOU BOYS WHAT A GAME! | Leafs Beat Hawks 4-3

TheFuturist

Jul 2, 2010
Toronto, ON
Martin's contract is certainly up for debate, but his value to the team is based on intangibles. We literally have no one else on the roster or on the Marlies that can step in and fill that role.

Is it necessary to dress an enforcer type role player every game in the current era of the NHL? Probably not, but Babs is old school in this sense, and he wants to protect the kids night in night out.

It's almost a catch 22, because is it necessary to get him in every game? No. However, he is the type of player that you don't miss in the line up until it's too late. So there is a considerable risk in the eye's of our coaching staff with not playing him. And I would assume, that in their opinion, the risk is not worth the potential reward of having Leivo there.

Question: Why do you think none of our kids get pasted like Debrincat did yesterday?

Answer: There's going to be a price to pay. By virtue of simply having him in the line up, whether he is fighting or not, his presence protects our young superstars.

Reactions: Smif and WWB

member 262271

Didn't catch all of the game but was impressed with how the team responded. Great win!

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's almost a catch 22, because is it necessary to get him in every game? No. However, he is the type of player that you don't miss in the line up until it's too late. So there is a considerable risk in the eye's of our coaching staff with not playing him. And I would assume, that in their opinion, the risk is not worth the potential reward of having Leivo there.

Question: Why do you think none of our kids get pasted like Debrincat did yesterday?

Answer: There's going to be a price to pay. By virtue of simply having him in the line up, whether he is fighting or not, his presence protects our young superstars.

Agreed on all accounts.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Chicago were better the first 15 minutes, after that Toronto started to eat them up with both skill and tenacity.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

We've seen players get crushed when he is in the line-up. I don't have an issue with Martin, I think he works well on the fourth line and he gives us a physical edge which I like. His role as a deterrent for cheap shots is greatly exaggerated though.

Reactions: 7even and 43Kadri43

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We've seen players get crushed when he is in the line-up. I don't have an issue with Martin, I think he works well on the fourth line and he gives us a physical edge which I like. His role as a deterrent for cheap shots is greatly exaggerated though.

Kadri is the best deterrent. See Ovi hit in the PO. Martin did squat all series.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

They don't get pasted because they are better, more aware players. I'd be willing to bet Debrincat won't put himself in that position again.

** I like Martin and would dress him every night.

Reactions: 7even

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
What an unbelievable game. I don't recall the last time the Leafs dominated a top team like that. I'm not sure the Hawks had more than 5 seconds of sustained 5 vs 5 zone time in the 3rd period. Plus the Leafs dominance in overtime...it almost looked like the Hawks didn't want the puck.

I haven't been this excited about a Leafs season in more than a decade. It will definitely be a fun year.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I don't know about you guys but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Toews getting kicked from faceoffs all night. #THE BEST FEELING.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't know about you guys but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Toews getting kicked from faceoffs all night. #THE BEST FEELING.

I'm really interested to see how these new face-off rules work this year. Firstly are the refs going to keep up the harsh rule. Secondly how are veteran face-off guys that cheated and stuff going to adjust... I bet we'll see some players have swings from their career norms

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'd feel better about subbing Leivo in for Martin here and there if Polak was still in the lineup. Gotta have one Scarry SOB in there.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm really interested to see how these new face-off rules work this year. Firstly are the refs going to keep up the harsh rule. Secondly how are veteran face-off guys that cheated and stuff going to adjust... I bet we'll see some players have swings from their career norms

So far so good for the Leafs - they are 2nd best in the league with close to 59% efficiency

Moore 100% (9 attempts)
Komarov 76.5% (17 attempts)
Marner 76% (13 attempts)
Kadri: 59.5 (37 attempts)
Bozak: 57.7% (52 attempts)
Matthews: 46.2% (26 attempts)
Nylander 45.8% (24 attempts)
Fehr 47.1% (17 attempts)

Those numbers for Moore, Komarov, and Marner are unreal and that's going to change

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So far so good for the Leafs - they are 2nd best in the league with close to 59% efficiency

Moore 100% (9 attempts)
Komarov 76.5% (17 attempts)
Marner 76% (13 attempts)
Kadri: 59.5 (37 attempts)
Bozak: 57.7% (52 attempts)
Matthews: 46.2% (26 attempts)
Nylander 45.8% (24 attempts)
Fehr 47.1% (17 attempts)

Those numbers for Moore, Komarov, and Marner are unreal and that's going to change

Marner being that high for a guy that young is extremely impressive. Its unheard of. granted its only 3 games, but still that is very impressive.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Marner being that high for a guy that young is extremely impressive. Its unheard of. granted its only 3 games, but still that is very impressive.
Clearly, this "new" faceoff rule favours quick, skilled guys in the dot. Obviously, that absurd 76% will come down, but I bet this is a trend we see going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad