Post-Game Talk: BLESS YOU BOYS WHAT A GAME! | Leafs Beat Hawks 4-3

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t see a scenario where Borgman isn’t playing full time. He has great edges, great decision making and can shoot the puck. Not to mention he’s the only one on our d core with nastiness

Reactions: TheFuturist

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
One very encouraging sign from the last game was that the Leafs were elite defensively after the first and only allowed 21 shots total.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
One very encouraging sign from the last game was that the Leafs were elite defensively after the first and only allowed 21 shots total.

Did the Bozak line allow 90% of the shots against or what. Anyone have that data???

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
imagine if all players just let the puck go by when they know there is a hit coming and its interference every time?

thats what he did.

If the puck passes by your feet then a hit is ok to me.
The hit was late which made it interference, the puck wasn't in his feet.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
I disagree, but they're close enough that its not that big a deal to me...

It just seems to me like Fehr is more of a winger, who can fill in at cneter... wheras Moore is a true centerman.

Although I see Moore being the better offensive player, and perhaps an edge at the dot (haven't checked stats this year with the new stricter face-off enforcement). I like what Fehr offers in other areas.

I don't think it's a stretch to say Fehr fairs (ha) well and offers great value on the PK largely due to his size and reach and closing off passing lanes. At the rate penalties are being called (especially this year so far) it's become increasingly more important. To quote Babcock "I like the fact he wakes up every morning and he's 6'4".

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The puck was gone he may have or may not have touched it and it was a tad late. In my books it was a legal hit in a men's league, late and a penalty for weak little snifflers and faint heart softies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the fact that Moore's game was the only one where our PK looked bad makes me start leaning towards Fehr in this battle. There's really nothing else I care about from the #4C other than the PK.

Reactions: coupe93 and thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
the fact that Moore's game was the only one where our PK looked bad makes me start leaning towards Fehr in this battle. There's really nothing else I care about from the #4C other than the PK.

You read the game well these days.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Although I see Moore being the better offensive player, and perhaps an edge at the dot (haven't checked stats this year with the new stricter face-off enforcement). I like what Fehr offers in other areas.

I don't think it's a stretch to say Fehr fairs (ha) well and offers great value on the PK largely due to his size and reach and closing off passing lanes. At the rate penalties are being called (especially this year so far) it's become increasingly more important. To quote Babcock "I like the fact he wakes up every morning and he's 6'4".

Moore has a better track history at the PK though... he was arguably Boston's second best PKer behind Bergeron on a league leading PK...

You as much as anybody should realize that you really need a better sample size to make such outlandish claims... if you go by a larger sample... All of last season... Moore was fantastic on the PK...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
all I said was "leaning towards", I didn't draw any conclusions.

I love moore but at his age there's always a chance he's done. I'm happy to see them rotate each game for now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Moore has a better track history at the PK though... he was arguably Boston's second best PKer behind Bergeron on a league leading PK...

You as much as anybody should realize that you really need a better sample size to make such outlandish claims... if you go by a larger sample... All of last season... Moore was fantastic on the PK...

You aren't reading the game well. It is blatantly obvious that Fehr offers superior structure for the 4th. The Goat made the 4th line good over Smith for the same reason. Not rocket science pay attention.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
imagine if all players just let the puck go by when they know there is a hit coming and its interference every time?

thats what he did.

If the puck passes by your feet then a hit is ok to me.
It can be okay to you all you want, that doesn't change the fact it's an illegal hit by the rules and is regularly called.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Nope.

Kadri line was worse.

They were the second best line behind the Matthews line actually, in terms of shots %.

Honestly speaking it was the worst game by this line - both Marleau and Komarov were pretty invisible, however Kadri was pretty involved and was able to generate some offense

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
You aren't reading the game well. It is blatantly obvious that Fehr offers superior structure for the 4th. The Goat made the 4th line good over Smith for the same reason. Not rocket science pay attention.

Okay... if you (of all people) say so... :rolleyes:

I didn't say anything other than track record shows Moore has traditionally been the better PKer... Its TRUE...

I don't think anything is blatantly obvious this early in the season to be honest... but if I were a betting man, I'd suggest Moore will win that 4th line spot AND be one of our best pkers...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The hit was late which made it interference, the puck wasn't in his feet.

Imagine Loov (if he was still here) and Borgman on the back end, those boys are hitting monsters. I simply love Dmen who are bullies and play smart hockey.

I'm looking forward to a Borman /Ovie collision, Ovie might be one of a handful of elite forwards who can take a Borgman hit and stay on their feet.

Call it a hunch but there will be a play this year where an opposing fan base will be calling for Borgman's head for what they perceive a dirty hit. Its almost a guarantee it will happen, my vote is it will be Vancouver's or Montreal's fan base.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Meh... If you just look at the playoffs, Hyman played the same way as he did these first three games...

Haters just keep on hating... thats all.

I have been really impressed with Hyman in the last 2 games(not even all three) and I think it looks like he may have managed to get some NHL caliber puck skills which makes him a great compliment to this line, but its incredibly naive of you to dismiss the valid criticisms of him with "haters just keep on hating..."(as I quote this I realize I am wasting my time)

One other thing, I agree he played terrific in the playoffs and I think he moved much faster and attacked much harder than he had all year which was great...but how do we reconcile "hard working Hyman is our hardest working player every night" with "oh I guess he was saving it for the playoffs"?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Malkin is pretty lazy defensively though...he’s really good that he doesn’t really have to defend much but I’d say it’s much much harder to get the puck off Matthews than it is to get it off Malkin.

Malkin is more explosive whereas Matthews uses his entire arsenal to get points. If there were no numbers on the back of the jerseys, I can still spot Matthews easily. He’s always the guy around the net knowing exactly when to back off away from pressure and get a quality shot.

That's where I digress. I meant that from a purely offensive perspective. Both use their body, but Matthews is stronger down low. And at the same age, I'd say Matthews is a more explosive skater with likely better hands.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
not sure if this has been mentioned so far - our whole D corps did a great job of not getting beat to the outside while also not allowing a lane to the middle by keeping their feet moving and positioning well. There's always gonna be a few breakdowns against a team that good, but I thought it was a great job done of taking plays to the corner to break them up

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I have been really impressed with Hyman in the last 2 games(not even all three) and I think it looks like he may have managed to get some NHL caliber puck skills which makes him a great compliment to this line, but its incredibly naive of you to dismiss the valid criticisms of him with "haters just keep on hating..."(as I quote this I realize I am wasting my time)

One other thing, I agree he played terrific in the playoffs and I think he moved much faster and attacked much harder than he had all year which was great...but how do we reconcile "hard working Hyman is our hardest working player every night" with "oh I guess he was saving it for the playoffs"?

I'm open to criticism... in which way am I being naive...?

I'll acknowledge Hyman had a slower offensive stretch or two last year... but he was fairly consistent year round and if anything, was improving throughout the season... I wouldn't say he burned himself out (Thats what I was arguing about)... His 6 game sample in the playoffs is furthur proof of not burning out..

What he's done now isn't surprising me in any which way... and i think its rather silly to suggest his game will lead towards "another burnout"... when [1] He didn't really burn out last year, and [2] His drive train and skillset he has shown thus far in the NHL shows nothing that will hint to a burn out...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The puck was gone he may have or may not have touched it and it was a tad late. In my books it was a legal hit in a men's league, late and a penalty for weak little snifflers and faint heart softies.

Mr Cherry.. you're wrong...

56.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who restrains an opponent who is attempting to “fore-check.”

A minor penalty shall be imposed on an attacking player who deliberately checks a defensive player, including the goalkeeper, who is not in possession of the puck.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who shall cause an opponent who is not in possession of the puck to be forced off-side, causing a stoppage in play. If this action causes a delayed off-side (and not necessarily a stoppage in play), then the application of a penalty for interference is subject to the judgment of the Referee.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who deliberately knocks a stick out of an opponent’s hand, or who prevents a player who has dropped his stick or any other piece of equipment from regaining possession of it.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who knocks or shoots any abandoned or broken stick or illegal puck or other debris towards an opposing puck carrier in a manner that could cause him to be distracted. (See also Rule 53 – Throwing Equipment.)

A minor penalty shall be imposed on any identifiable player on the players’ bench or penalty bench who, by means of his stick or his body, interferes with the movements of the puck or any opponent on the ice during the progress of the play. In addition, should a player about to come onto the ice, play the puck while one or both skates are still on the players’ or penalty bench, a minor penalty for interference shall be assessed.

The appropriate penalty according to the playing rules shall be assessed when a player on the players’ or penalty bench gets involved with an opponent on the ice during a stoppage in play. The player(s) involved may be subject to additional sanctions as appropriate pursuant to Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline

Reactions: bobermay

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Boy oh boy. Some unbiased analysis of a player when you disregard two plays leading to goals against :laugh: cheers pal.

I'd like to know what two instances these were. If you genuinely include a goal accidentally banked off of him when he was covering the entire passing lane, then I don't know what to tell you. He had a great game. He constantly broke the puck out, was using his skating to break out, and was rewarded with an assist. Y'all are ridiculous. Rielly-Hainsey has been our best pairing so far.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Zaitsev continues to surprise the way he moves the puck and skates, smooth as silk --can't believe has two goals already.. just wow.

How many years do we have him locked up for? I think the Leafs made an awesome move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad