Post-Game Talk: Bleh!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I’m just sad we probably lost our chance at yet another pre-season Championship
No one stood out tonight...the goalies were terrible, the vets were terrible and the players looking for NHL work were terrible

Jones, Persson, Benson were disappointing
McLeod has a weaker game

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Benning thinks they did some good things tonight.

WHAT

giphy.gif

Reactions: Del Preston

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't get Benning. He finally looks like he "gets it" in the tail end of every season then becomes the saddest excuse of a player to start out every year.
He's saving himself for the final push and playoffs.

Dont know ive ever seen a player that starts looking good at the end of the year and then looks like he forgot how to hockey at the beginning of the next.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The Good:
Marody, nice rebound game for him, he needs to continue to build on it to guarantee a spot
Neal, consistently dangerous, hope he can keep this up
McLeod, faded towards the end but definitely created a lot, he didn’t hurt his chances with this game IMO
P. Russell, really solid I’d give him time on the 4th line this year

The Bad:
Every forward not named above
The D-Core what a mess defensively my god

The Ugly:
Matt Benning
Koskinen
Jones and Benson with spots wide open proceed to do nothing with the opportunity. Definitely the most disappointing thing this preseason so far.
Matt Benning

Yeah good post.

Neal looked sharp and it seems that every time McLeod was on the ice something happened. He's creative. I agree that Russell looks like he has earned a spot on the 4th line. The best of the AHL'ers.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think chances that Bouchard makes the team have risen a lot higher.

Still prefer him to begin in the AHL though.

It’s a night and day difference when he’s playing and when he’s not. I wanted him in the AHL this year too but he’s unequivocally one of our 6 best.

He was missed tonight which speaks both to how good Bouchard is and how bad some of the incumbents or guys that should be taking places have played (Benning, Jones).

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Persson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Benning has to be on thin ice. I get giving "vets" slack but honestly there are defenders who have looked better

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Didn't watch. But glad to see the shimmer is coming off of Benning. Shame we couldn't have turned him into Connor Brown last season.

Get ready for some Brandon Manning hockey! :laugh:

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Neal, Marody, Russell, McLeod, Nygard, Samorukov had good games. A whole bunch of "Meh" to "tire fire" for the others...

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I don't get Benning. He finally looks like he "gets it" in the tail end of every season then becomes the saddest excuse of a player to start out every year.
As poorly as he played tonight he somehow managed to come out even. Jones and Lowe went -2 each. Oilers charged with 17GVA tonight. Seemed like more. Maybe just because some of them were so egregious.

Feels like the Oilers were in this game, if not winning, through the first period.
Failing to score on the four minute PP and then giving up the late goal in the first finished them off.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Benning has to be on thin ice. I get giving "vets" slack but honestly there are defenders who have looked better
Yeah the vets who slack are just warm bodies filling up a spot because they know they get a roster spot.

Benning could easily be the spot that Bouchard was talking about taking in his interview.

Reactions: snipes

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Didn’t watch the game but I’m actually glad they are losing games in the preseason. It’s good to have some adversity before the start of the regular season (even though you can’t put any stock into the rosters we are icing at the moment. Can only go off of individual performances of some of the players)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Didn’t watch the game but I’m actually glad they are losing games in the preseason. It’s good to have some adversity before the start of the regular season (even though you can’t put any stock into the rosters we are icing at the moment. Can only go off of individual performances of some of the players)
This team has enough adversity. Losing preseason is taking the one good thing away from us ;)

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad