Blashill names Abdelkader new Alternate Captain

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's not unexpected he's in the leadership group. He works hard, been there his whole career, signed for 7 more years, etc.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Why are you narrowing the discussion to Captains? The discussion was about letters. Can guys who wear the "A" not be leaders?

Well I kinda figured that being a captain is a little more important than being an alternate. And I was proving a point that being talented absolutely has an impact on being chosen as a leader. Alternates can absolutely be leaders (and any player on the roster can be for that matter), but IMO their role on the team isn't as significant because they're not viewed as "the guy" and they share the load with the two other guys wearing letters. And even looking around the league at other teams A's there are very few grinders out there with letters, they seem to be the exception.

So again, I think talent is still a pretty important aspect in choosing a leader along with intangibles.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Well I kinda figured that being a captain is a little more important than being an alternate. And I was proving a point that being talented absolutely has an impact on being chosen as a leader. Alternates can absolutely be leaders (and any player on the roster can be for that matter), but IMO their role on the team isn't as significant because they're not viewed as "the guy" and they share the load with the two other guys wearing letters. And even looking around the league at other teams A's there are very few grinders out there with letters, they seem to be the exception.

So again, I think talent is still a pretty important aspect in choosing a leader along with intangibles.

what about toews :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

hes got all the intangibles

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Better than helm, jimmy, and big e. Who were probably the other top candidates.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
I'm fine with this. Abby is one of our hardest workers. He is criminally underrated on this board.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm fine with this. Abby is one of our hardest workers. He is criminally underrated on this board.
Because he's a second line player getting first line treatment? Yeah, how DARE fans underrate him...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Abdelkader was the correct choice.

1.) Hardest worker on the team
2.) Guy has improved every year and grown his role both in the dressing room and on ice seemingly every year.
2.) Consistent guy in terms of effort "everydayer"
3.) Greats expectations, he is almost always excited about whatever challenge is next.
4.) Which is important in terms of he is clearly a vocal guy on the team these days. I think he vacuumed up Cleary's old role as the vocal NA guy. Always willing to do the media and does a lot locally for charities and things of that nature.
5.) Life-long Wing, grew up a Wings fan, left the state to play hockey for just one year of his life in the USHL. Understands the franchise's history and the importance to those around the community. He has a ton of pride in that jersey when they ask him about it in year 6 and 7 and beyond he has always still beamed about being a Wing just like he did on draft night.
6.) For the record Abdelkader actually is one of our better players, I know that isn't very popular.
7.) Plays in all situations, can play all three forward spots. Versatile player that has worked his way into various roles, but can speak about up and down the lineup to the guys.
8.) Defends his teammates

So there are a bunch. Made a ton of sense to make him an A.

For those in the conspiracy of the Swedes running the dressing room, Abdelkader is a lot less likely to go along with that as Pavel. I don't think he stomachs that quite the same way. Since a lot of our young talent now is NA guys, I think them having a voice and a guy to go to bat for them will be big. Guys like Smith might get a better message from him than the three older Europeans we have been going with.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

2.) Guy has improved every year and grown his role both in the dressing room and on ice seemingly every year.
3.) Greats expectations, he is almost always excited about whatever challenge is next.
4.) Which is important in terms of he is clearly a vocal guy on the team these days. I think he vacuumed up Cleary's old role as the vocal NA guy. Always willing to do the media and does a lot locally for charities and things of that nature.
5.) Life-long Wing, grew up a Wings fan, left the state to play hockey for just one year of his life in the USHL. Understands the franchise's history and the importance to those around the community. He has a ton of pride in that jersey when they ask him about it in year 6 and 7 and beyond he has always still beamed about being a Wing just like he did on draft night.
6.) For the record Abdelkader actually is one of our better players, I know that isn't very popular.
7.) Plays in all situations, can play all three forward spots. Versatile player that has worked his way into various roles, but can speak about up and down the lineup to the guys.

For those in the conspiracy of the Swedes running the dressing room, Abdelkader is a lot less likely to go along with that as Pavel. I don't think he stomachs that quite the same way. Since a lot of our young talent now is NA guys, I think them having a voice and a guy to go to bat for them will be big. Guys like Smith might get a better message from him than the three older Europeans we have been going with.

2 and 6 is just not correct. He is not one of the better players on the team. Larkin Danny d and mrazek are better and more important. He actually didn't improve from last year at all

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2 and 6 is just not correct. He is not one of the better players on the team. Larkin Danny d and mrazek are better and more important. He actually didn't improve from last year at all

Kind of, when everybody regressed because of the coaching change, he was one of those who regressed least. So "relatively improved". ;)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There is a whole laundry list of players that wear the "A" in the NHL that aren't even close to being the most talented players on their team. You respect them because they are put in a position of leadership because they are deemed to be good leaders. How can you not respect everybody on your team?

Claude Lemieux would have been a difficult one to respect. Appreciate what he would bring, maybe, but respect...

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Still don't like Abby OR his contract.

You know I bet this is not even true.

1) You hate his contract (makes sense)

2) You don't like Abby's Usage by the Coach maybe?

3) I doubt you hate 3rd line Abby at 1.5 Mil per year. I seriously doubt that.

Because quite frankly everything you hate is Coaching and $$$
There is very little to complain about if those 2 things were not "affecting" your expectations of him as a player.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

This post is the epitome of why Abby is criminally underrated.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Nobody was discussing captains though.

Tyler Ennis, Josh Gorges, Dennis Wideman, Andrew Ference, Derek MacKenzie, Jusi Jokinen, Cody McLeod, Brendan Gallagher, Dan Girardi, Marc Stall, Chris Neil, Chris Kunitz, Martin Hanzal, Ryan Callahan, Tyler Bozak, Matt Hunwick, Alex Burrows, Brooks Orpik. All alternate captains that aren't among the best players on their team. Not to mention players that aren't what they used to be like Jerome Iginla, Kronwall, and Markov.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If leadership is all it takes to be captain then Dustin Brown would still be captain of the Kings. Players want their leaders to be the most talented players on their respective teams. Generally more talent=more ice time. How can you have respect for a captain that's a bottom six player playing <15 minutes a night? I'd rather listen to the guy thats playing 19+ minutes a night and has more of an impact on the actual game

You must have hated Chris Draper being alternate captain then.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You know I bet this is not even true.

1) You hate his contract (makes sense)

2) You don't like Abby's Usage by the Coach maybe?

3) I doubt you hate 3rd line Abby at 1.5 Mil per year. I seriously doubt that.

Because quite frankly everything you hate is Coaching and $$$
There is very little to complain about if those 2 things were not "affecting" your expectations of him as a player.

I normally agree with 99.9% of what you say, Bin. You're pretty awesome when it comes to being a well reasoned fan and it's enjoyable to read your informal+/- thing.

But on this, Abdelkader the player and Abdelkader the contract are inseparable. Just like everyone would have loved Brandon Inge for the Tigers as a 1M reserve infielder who could pop 15 HR in any given year but hated him as a $6M/year starting 3B who would hit .180-.220 with ever decreasing power.

His usage and his contract directly relate to the antagonism against him.

However, there was a not small contingent of fans who DID hate 1.8M Abby, so who knows.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Remember when Drapes was 3rd best on the team? Those were the days.

I can't believe I took so many comments for this to be mentioned. I have no problem with Abby getting a letter. The guy works his ass off, and is a lifer.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I normally agree with 99.9% of what you say, Bin. You're pretty awesome when it comes to being a well reasoned fan and it's enjoyable to read your informal+/- thing.

But on this, Abdelkader the player and Abdelkader the contract are inseparable. Just like everyone would have loved Brandon Inge for the Tigers as a 1M reserve infielder who could pop 15 HR in any given year but hated him as a $6M/year starting 3B who would hit .180-.220 with ever decreasing power.

However, there was a not small contingent of fans who DID hate 1.8M Abby, so who knows.

Justin is a 20/25 goal - 40 point guy that does all the heavy lifting. He is exactly the type of player ALL teams need. I think he's as important as a top pairing defenseman. Players like him (on his level) don't come around very often.

His contact is fair with all things considered. The length doesn't bother me because as we've already have seen, KH is a master at getting bad contracts to disappear. And the cap has never cause KH from missing out on a guy he wanted. Unless you count Parise and Suter as a package "he missed out" because his boss only offered $86 million for one, not both each.

People get too caught up in cap when it rarely handcuffs the team. Remember the Nikolai Khabibulin fiasco?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I think we pretty much agree, its just a matter of wording.

Abdelkader is great at what he provides.
But his expectations have been raised by his Salary.

I suppose its the same for all players.
No one is ever going to REALLY complain about Marchenko when he is not getting paid well.

Meanwhile Z has a bad year, and the abnormally high number of Z haters seem to appear.

P.S. Thanks for enjoying the +/- thing.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Is there any evidence that supports this? How do you know what goes on in the locker room?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad