Blashill names Abdelkader new Alternate Captain

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Eh, seems like more of a leader than most of the rest of the team these days.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On one hand, I like having a guy that plays as hard as Abby every night wear an A.

On the other hand, ideally I'd like to see more talented players wearing letters in Detroit.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
On one hand, I like having a guy that plays as hard as Abby every night wear an A.

On the other hand, ideally I'd like to see more talented players wearing letters in Detroit.

Not sure what your'e talking about. He's a 1st line winger for the team. The coach and organization wouldn't treat him like a 1st line winger if he wasn't one.

:sarcasm:

Chunkylover

Aug 17, 2008
Michigan

Me too, especially if it meant some of our talented players were working as hard as him.

I think there is a lot more to professional hockey than what we see on during the game. At least, Detroit coaches put more stock into things of which we might not be aware. Hopefully rewarding hard work before, after, and during the game will inspire the rest of the team.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I'm okay with this. I think Danny takes over the next letter and the one after that, Larks. Only issue with Abby is when games get out of hand and/or he gets completely frustrated he stops playing the game and is constantly in scrum, throwing unneeded shots, etc.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm okay with this. I think Danny takes over the next letter and the one after that, Larks. Only issue with Abby is when games get out of hand and/or he gets completely frustrated he stops playing the game and is constantly in scrum, throwing unneeded shots, etc.

I also am good with the letter. Not much news when 3 months ago HF Detroit acknowledged Abdelkader would get the A. In the near future I think Nielsen is worth mentioning. He's easily our best forward. Signed for 5 years he could take over for Kronwall. I'm currently not very high on DDK.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Just curious, why would you like to see more talented players wearing letters?

talent ≠ leadership

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

talent ≠ leadership

I'd like the talented players to also be the leaders... ideally.

Like was the case with Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Yzerman, Fedorov, Kronwall, Datsyuk, etc.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'd like the talented players to also be the leaders... ideally.

Like was the case with Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Yzerman, Fedorov, Kronwall, Datsyuk, etc.

I think Larkin will get there, but as long as Z's around, I don't think he'll be taking the reins. And I'm assuming that Kronwall won't lose his until he hangs them up (and I'm guessing that, if nothing changes, that's the one that'll end up with DDK). So while I agree, I think it'll happen once the old guys retire.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Larkin will get there, but as long as Z's around, I don't think he'll be taking the reins. And I'm assuming that Kronwall won't lose his until he hangs them up (and I'm guessing that, if nothing changes, that's the one that'll end up with DDK). So while I agree, I think it'll happen once the old guys retire.

Me too, I think Larkin is next in line to wear the C, and I think he will be the best player on the roster for the foreseeable future. So I'm happy about that. We just also had a stretch there where pretty talented guys were wearing A's, too.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado

talent ≠ leadership

If leadership is all it takes to be captain then Dustin Brown would still be captain of the Kings. Players want their leaders to be the most talented players on their respective teams. Generally more talent=more ice time. How can you have respect for a captain that's a bottom six player playing <15 minutes a night? I'd rather listen to the guy thats playing 19+ minutes a night and has more of an impact on the actual game

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If leadership is all it takes to be captain then Dustin Brown would still be captain of the Kings. Players want their leaders to be the most talented players on their respective teams. Generally more talent=more ice time. How can you have respect for a captain that's a bottom six player playing <15 minutes a night? I'd rather listen to the guy thats playing 19+ minutes a night and has more of an impact on the actual game
Spoken like someone that's never been part of a team in his life.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

There is a whole laundry list of players that wear the "A" in the NHL that aren't even close to being the most talented players on their team. You respect them because they are put in a position of leadership because they are deemed to be good leaders. How can you not respect everybody on your team?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Ideally you want your leaders to be your best players because they can lead by words and by example. But... you want your leaders to be able to inspire your team. Work ethic, professionalism, etc. But you can tell whether a guy is a leader or not.

And whoever said Fedorov... dude was anything but a leader. He hung the team out to dry for 2/3rds of a season. He was a team player in that he'd do whatever, but he wasn't rallying the troops or shocking a team out of its doldrums. He was the most talented player on the ice and knew it.

Lastly, it's not the players that want their captain to be the best player. They want the captain to be the guy they respect the most. In the late 90s, Fedorov and Lidstrom were much better hockey players than "starting to break down" Yzerman. Yzerman was the leader because the team respected the hell out of him. Now, they need to have a certain level of talent because you want your captain playing a bunch and he should be a guy you lean on for heavy minutes, but that's a want not a need.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There is a whole laundry list of players that wear the "A" in the NHL that aren't even close to being the most talented players on their team. You respect them because they are put in a position of leadership because they are deemed to be good leaders. How can you not respect everybody on your team?

Respect the most. You should respect all of your teammates, but if you've been on a team, you know there is the one guy that your team leans on heavier than others. That's the kind of guy who should get the A. Not just the second and third best players on the roster.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Spoken like someone that's never been part of a team in his life.

You'd be incorrect, but your entitled to your own opinion.

To clarify I have no problem with Abby getting an "A". I was more specifically talking about captains, not alternates. I should have chosen a different word than respect. Of course you respect all of your teammates. But IMO some players voices/actions can carry more weight then others. I'm just merely pointing out that being good at what you is just as important as "leadership". When I look around the league most captains are a top 3 player on their team. So either I'm crazy or it's a crazy coincidence that really good players just happen to be good leaders too:sarcasm:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
You'd be incorrect, but your entitled to your own opinion.

To clarify I have no problem with Abby getting an "A". I was more specifically talking about captains, not alternates. I should have chosen a different word than respect. Of course you respect all of your teammates. But IMO some players voices/actions can carry more weight then others. I'm just merely pointing out that being good at what you is just as important as "leadership". When I look around the league most captains are a top 3 player on their team. So either I'm crazy or it's a crazy coincidence that really good players just happen to be good leaders too:sarcasm:

Why are you narrowing the discussion to Captains? The discussion was about letters. Can guys who wear the "A" not be leaders?

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Remember when Drapes was 3rd best on the team? Those were the days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad