Blake Wheeler one of the most underrated right wingers in the game?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Is Blake Wheeler one of the most underrated right wingers in the NHL currently? One of the highest point producers out of all right wingers in the league. I believe from 2011-2012 (Winnipeg's first season) to present, only Stamkos, Seguin, Getzlaf, Giroux, Ovechkin, Kessel, and Perry out of all right handed shot forwards have outscored him on a point per game pace. Wheeler also is one of the best defensive wingers in the league being a possession driving monster. He has everything, speed, skill, physicality, IQ, intangibles, everything. Only Kessel and Perry out of right handed shot wingers have outscored him during that time period.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I was just about to make this thread but I figured I've used it up

Kismet

Apr 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Is Blake Wheeler one of the most underrated right wingers in the NHL currently? One of the highest point producers out of all right wingers in the league. I believe from 2011-2012 (Winnipeg's first season) to present, only Stamkos, Seguin, Getzlaf, Giroux, Ovechkin, Kessel, and Perry out of all right handed shot forwards have outscored him on a point per game pace. Wheeler also is one of the best defensive wingers in the league being a monster driving monster. He has everything, speed, skill, physicality, IQ, intangibles, everything. Only Kessel and Perry out of right handed shot wingers have outscored him during that time period.

I'd never really thought of him as a monster driving monster, but you may be right.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He is a top 10 winger (since last year) and he is better than Kessel but Kessel always gets drafted higher in fantasy. Not just a bit higher but rounds

also last year

"Laine is the best player on the Jets"

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Might have been underrated in the past after failing in Boston and finding new luck in Atlanta/Winnipeg, but I don't think that's the case anymore since a couple of years.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Bonus: Boston traded this guy when he was nothing special

I think that's where his superhuman possession #s and scoring ability comes from

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
He is a top 10 winger (since last year) and he is better than Kessel but Kessel always gets drafted higher in fantasy. Not just a bit higher but rounds

also last year

"Laine is the best player on the Jets"

Kessel is a player who can carry a line by himself and run the offense, as he did in Toronto. Wheeler has never shown that

Kessel is also a top 10 playoff performer in the NHL, he's pretty much a ppg player there

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Here comes Wheeler, wheeling and dealing, cuts in, scores ! :hockey:

Think it was the Habs announcer who called that, was pretty neat.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Kessel is a player who can carry a line by himself and run the offense, as he did in Toronto. Wheeler has never shown that

Kessel is also a top 10 playoff performer in the NHL, he's pretty much a ppg player there

top 10 playoff performer because he got traded to the Pens and had that Conn Smythe run with the HBK line, sure sure

Wheeler is the better overall player though. You will have a lot of people agreeing with you sure

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
How he is underrated?

Because he's almost never in any discussions regarding top players in the NHL. He is the definition of an elite power forward Superstar in the league. He's currently over a point per game pace, and now holds the second fastest record to 20 points in franchise history behind Ilya f***ing Kovalchuk.

Of course, he also rides shotgun to Scheifele, so he's obviously a product of him. :sarcasm:

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Here comes Wheeler, wheeling and dealing, cuts in, scores ! :hockey:

Think it was the Habs announcer who called that, was pretty neat.

Yea, that was awesome. He called that on a beauty rush by Wheeler who made the Habs' D look like pylons.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Because he's almost never in any discussions regarding top players in the NHL. He is the definition of an elite power forward Superstar in the league. He's currently over a point per game pace, and now holds the second fastest record to 20 points in franchise history behind Ilya ****ing Kovalchuk.

Of course, he also rides shotgun to Scheifele, so he's obviously a product of him. :sarcasm:

I see him all the time. I think he is not underrated. He is very good captain.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
About 5 games ago, HFJets was basically ready to get rid of him :laugh:

A good argument could be made that he's still our best player. 13 points in the past 5 games. :yo::yo:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
one of the most underrated players period. he's a beast.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Another Chiarelli trade classic. You could put together the best top 9 in the NHL with players he gave up for Larsson and some spares.

Hall Seguin Wheeler
Versteeg Aho Kessel
Yakupov Barzal Eberle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad