Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler on Situation in Minnesota - Read Mod note in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB

Mod note:

Because of the severity and importance of the situation, we are going to try to open this up again.

Note that if this becomes a partisan political discussion, which it was in danger of becoming when I closed it, and it creates an unreasonable amount of work for the moderators, we have no choice but to close it down.

To add onto the OP:

DeMelo's thoughts:

Statement from the Jets:

A multitude of other NHLers have also spoken out about this. From what I have seen, most of these statements have had the same tone.

I hope that we can keep this thread open, because I think it's a discussion that not only should, but must, be had. To do that, as per admin instruction, we are free to discuss what teams and players are saying regarding this. Discussing what random people are saying about this, however, is not allowed. Sharing your own thoughts and experiences is obviously okay, but keep it contained to this issue.

If you feel so strongly about this topic that you will be unable to participate without hurling insults toward other users, instead of trying to explain your view or share your experiences, I highly recommend you turn around and go to a strictly hockey-related thread.

We are all adults here, and this is an issue that affects people globally, and at a scale where people feel so desperate that they're taking to the streets in frustration. Please keep the discussion civil.

Last edited by a moderator:

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I have to admit that I was disappointed that so few players spoke out after Akim Aliu posted his players tribune article, but a number of players have made statements regarding current events.

Wheeler is no scrub but he's not exactly Crosby or McDavid either. In regards to these issues affecting hockey at all levels, it'd be good if a true face of the league spoke up in support Akim. But hockey players are too well trained to not rock the boat for that.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Blake is probably one of the bravest hockey guys as far as speaking out. His interviews have kept getting better over the years as well. He is articulate and a heart on the sleeve type and that is not typical in the Hockey world.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I have to admit that I was disappointed that so few players spoke out after Akim Aliu posted his players tribune article, but a number of players have made statements regarding current events.

Wheeler is no scrub but he's not exactly Crosby or McDavid either. In regards to these issues affecting hockey at all levels, it'd be good if a true face of the league spoke up in support Akim. But hockey players are too well trained to not rock the boat for that.

Wheeler is also from the Mpls./St. Paul metro and that’s why what he said has meaning and perspective!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hey Sip --when is little Gary going to get the show on the road, and get the games going again ?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hey Sip --when is little Gary going to get the show on the road, and get the games going again ?

Hey Little Gary what have you done, hey Little Gary you ain’t the only one, hey Little Gary white out put out won’t be done, hey Little Gary who’s the team you want...

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I really hate to say this, but posting something on twitter doesn't change anything. Making change takes real effort. Sometimes I wonder if that's more a part of the problem than the solution. I'm sure his heart is in the right spot though. If Winnipeg was burning I'd probably take 4 minutes out of my day to write a tweet before booking a 3 week holiday in Cabo.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I really hate to say this, but posting something on twitter doesn't change anything. Making change takes real effort. Sometimes I wonder if that's more a part of the problem than the solution. I'm sure his heart is in the right spot though. If Winnipeg was burning I'd probably take 4 minutes out of my day to write a tweet before booking a 3 week holiday in Cabo.

I see your point. Too often people in position to help just write a tweet, say things need to change, and go back to their comfortable lives.

I think an interesting value in a post like Wheeler's is it's him drawing a line in the sand about what he does and doesn't tolerate around him, and perhaps in his teams. When you've got the racism (and sexism etc) issues in the league on one side, and the "it's just banter" crowd on the other, it's important for guys to say they're not here for it. It's not going to change the deep-seated issues in America but it sets a good example.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Totally agree with Wheeler and i'm glad that people are protesting but when you start buildings on fire and bust into stores and steal shit you ruin the protest. Good for Wheeler to speak up about it though and i'm glad he's our captain.

The protest makes sense and is a very natural reaction to the savage murder people caught on camera.

riot can happen as a byproduct when emotions boil over. Even the burning of the police station that night I understood because the emotions were so high and people were lashing out.

Breaking into stores and stealing shit because you can is the act of criminals. Watching A group people raid and clean out a Louis Vuitton store in a mall with smiles on their faces??? Way to piss on the message.

Once the Professional looters arrive they hijack the agenda and it ceases to be about a senseless death.

The next move I would expect is curfews, national guard, military presence in an attempt to stop the destruction and damage caused by criminals. Sadly this is text book escalation.

Lather rinse repeat

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

There is more to it than the 4 minutes it took to write it. He is putting himself 'out there'. He has spoken up for something important. The haters now know him.

Speaking up is what he can do. He is not President, Governor or Mayor. He is not a policeman or a sheriff. He is no expert on race relations.

When good people stay silent, the evil grows. So he has spoken. I hope he continues to speak out for justice. If enough people do that, the Presidents, Governors, Mayors and Police Chiefs will start to listen.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Totally agree with Wheeler and i'm glad that people are protesting but when you start buildings on fire and bust into stores and steal shit you ruin the protest. Good for Wheeler to speak up about it though and i'm glad he's our captain.

The protestors are in the streets all day. The thieves and arsonists are in the streets all night. Largely, they are 2 different groups of people. Thieves and arsonists take advantage of the situation. They don't much care about the cause, or they are cynical about the cause and are just trying to punish someone at random.

The violence hurts the cause - but when you have been oppressed and discriminated against as a people for 350 years, you may be losing patience with trying to peacefully bring change.

So far the authorities in Minneapolis have charged just 1 of the 4 officers involved. He has been charged with a lesser offence right from the start. The groundwork for an acquittal in court has already been laid.

Fifty years ago, cops killing unarmed blacks were rarely, if ever charged. In more recent years, they have discovered that they can appear to be doing the right thing by charging them. But how often do they get convictions? Rarely, if ever.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The protestors are in the streets all day. The thieves and arsonists are in the streets all night. Largely, they are 2 different groups of people. Thieves and arsonists take advantage of the situation. They don't much care about the cause, or they are cynical about the cause and are just trying to punish someone at random.

The violence hurts the cause - but when you have been oppressed and discriminated against as a people for 350 years, you may be losing patience with trying to peacefully bring change.

So far the authorities in Minneapolis have charged just 1 of the 4 officers involved. He has been charged with a lesser offence right from the start. The groundwork for an acquittal in court has already been laid.

Fifty years ago, cops killing unarmed blacks were rarely, if ever charged. In more recent years, they have discovered that they can appear to be doing the right thing by charging them. But how often do they get convictions? Rarely, if ever.
One good thing about cell phones , alot of stuff is getting recorded now that wouldn't have been 20 years ago. Will Smith said racism in America hasn't gotten better over the years it's just getting filmed now. I agree it's not all the protesters looting and destroying stuff but it just looks so bad. One scientist pulled up to a store that was getting looted in his car and ran in and grabbed a bunch of stuff on camera , you could totally make out his license plate. :laugh: Course the car might have been stolen. :confused:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

In Miami I believe they have a 7:00 PM curfew they are implementing so the protesters can still protest but once 7:00PM hits they lock down the city and roll in the military if necessary to stop the criminals from looting, stealing, and vandalism.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One good thing about cell phones , alot of stuff is getting recorded now that wouldn't have been 20 years ago. Will Smith said racism in America hasn't gotten better over the years it's just getting filmed now. I agree it's not all the protesters looting and destroying stuff but it just looks so bad. One scientist pulled up to a store that was getting looted in his car and ran in and grabbed a bunch of stuff on camera , you could totally make out his license plate. :laugh: Course the car might have been stolen. :confused:

The chaos tempts thieves. Unfortunately, it looks terrible. It blurs the message and hurts the cause.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In Miami I believe they have a 7:00 PM curfew they are implementing so the protesters can still protest but once 7:00PM hits they lock down the city and roll in the military if necessary to stop the criminals from looting, stealing, and vandalism.

Yeah, but curfews and troops don't seem to work that well either. Minneapolis put in a curfew 2-3 days ago, and brought in the National Guard. Now, maybe if you announce that looters and arsonists will be shot, you might get somewhere. Not that I really approve of shooting people for stealing a TV, but it might be effective.

This situation is following a pattern that I recall seeing my whole life. First protest, then confrontation with police, then rioting, burning, looting, more confrontation, now military. Eventually it quiets down - until the next time.

Just read an article on CBC talking about Franklin Mo and the lessons learned there that are not being applied. In Flint Mich, a Sheriff joined the protestors. That seemed to lighten the mood of the protest. There was no violence there at that time.

It came down to communicating rather than confronting.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I see your point. Too often people in position to help just write a tweet, say things need to change, and go back to their comfortable lives.

I think an interesting value in a post like Wheeler's is it's him drawing a line in the sand about what he does and doesn't tolerate around him, and perhaps in his teams. When you've got the racism (and sexism etc) issues in the league on one side, and the "it's just banter" crowd on the other, it's important for guys to say they're not here for it. It's not going to change the deep-seated issues in America but it sets a good example.

Virtually everyone is in a position to help, some more than others.

Social media tricks us into thinking that the posts we make are making a difference while objectively they don’t. They often accomplish the opposite in directing people to protest online where that protest amounts to nothing.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Virtually everyone is in a position to help, some more than others.

Social media tricks us into thinking that the posts we make are making a difference while objectively they don’t. They often accomplish the opposite in directing people to protest online where that protest amounts to nothing.

Yes, social media creates a false sense of having stepped up. I confess, I am getting a bit of that here and now. Maybe what I post here has some tiny effect but, honestly, I am not even putting my name to it.

I do feel a little better about myself though, so it is not totally wasted. :laugh:

Reactions: kanadalainen

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is sad ... I know a lot of cops and they are good people who put their life on the line everyday for us but because of a few bad apples they get painted as evil. Every single job there are big apples.

Those 'good cops' need to step in when the bad cops are behaving badly. If the other 3 cops present when Floyd was murdered had done their jobs, he would probably be alive today. The viral video would have shown 3 good cops preventing a bad cop from murdering Floyd. There would have been no protests, no riots, no looting, no arson.

I understand supporting law and order. I understand supporting our police. I do not understand blindly supporting anyone or anything, especially when they are dishonouring their entire profession, disgracing themselves and committing crimes of hatred. The good that they do does not earn them carte-blanche to do whatever they like.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Those 'good cops' need to step in when the bad cops are behaving badly. If the other 3 cops present when Floyd was murdered had done their jobs, he would probably be alive today. The viral video would have shown 3 good cops preventing a bad cop from murdering Floyd. There would have been no protests, no riots, no looting, no arson.

I understand supporting law and order. I understand supporting our police. I do not understand blindly supporting anyone or anything, especially when they are dishonouring their entire profession, disgracing themselves and committing crimes of hatred. The good that they do does not earn them carte-blanche to do whatever they like.
:clap:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
There is more to it than the 4 minutes it took to write it. He is putting himself 'out there'. He has spoken up for something important. The haters now know him.

Speaking up is what he can do. He is not President, Governor or Mayor. He is not a policeman or a sheriff. He is no expert on race relations.

When good people stay silent, the evil grows. So he has spoken. I hope he continues to speak out for justice. If enough people do that, the Presidents, Governors, Mayors and Police Chiefs will start to listen.

Good point. Speaking up is important for sure.

I'm not out to go against anything Wheeler has done. Just wish it wasn't always twitter. The President of the US thinks he can solve problems on twitter while his country burns. Good or bad, this social media "stance" thing just doesn't do enough, no matter how many followers you have.

In a few minutes you can look like a hero by saying we should stand against racism. No shit we should. Wheeler is seen to be making a stand while someone who dedicates their whole life to mending fences between black and white communities will never get heralded for their work. All because of the way social media works.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
NHL has always tried to stay apolitical, compared to other leagues. Looks like this is changing and that's a good thing.

Reactions: Derfel

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, but curfews and troops don't seem to work that well either. Minneapolis put in a curfew 2-3 days ago, and brought in the National Guard. Now, maybe if you announce that looters and arsonists will be shot, you might get somewhere. Not that I really approve of shooting people for stealing a TV, but it might be effective.

This situation is following a pattern that I recall seeing my whole life. First protest, then confrontation with police, then rioting, burning, looting, more confrontation, now military. Eventually it quiets down - until the next time.

Just read an article on CBC talking about Franklin Mo and the lessons learned there that are not being applied. In Flint Mich, a Sheriff joined the protestors. That seemed to lighten the mood of the protest. There was no violence there at that time.

It came down to communicating rather than confronting.

It will be interesting to watch unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad