Value of: Blake Wheeler (2m retained)

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Anyone who’s not a Wheeler apologist… he takes zero accountability for his faults and screwups and blames the youth.. his inner room attitude was glimpsed during the Laine issues.
He is a lousy captain… hopefully he leaves with Scheifele this summer
what are you expecting as a return for each of them? Scheifele has a little more intrigue to me as a Bruins fan. Coyle would have to be going the other way in a deal for either. Did they ever actually report what Scheifele's injury was?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Once upon a time I really liked the idea of trading for Wheeler and slapping him next to Byfield and I still do, but instead I'll trade you a tissue for a 7th until you can recognize a series of facts slapping you in the face.
"I'm 13 and think I'm clever"

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Type of player the Coyotes might be interested with $3M+ retention and a healthy return.

But given his rumored locker room issues
Given his history with the Coyote franchise
And given the fact Shane Doan is still with the organization
I'd put Coyote interest at 0% even with 50% retention

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Anyone who’s not a Wheeler apologist… he takes zero accountability for his faults and screwups and blames the youth.. his inner room attitude was glimpsed during the Laine issues.
He is a lousy captain… hopefully he leaves with Scheifele this summer

I just can't over the fact that he did not protect Kane when the Winnipeg media was ripping him, and even more so when he threw Kane under the bus with his comments. Not once did the Sharks players or Coach Boughner rip Kane. There was a lot of "no comment, I just don't know the situation, I just don't know, he's just not here so I don't have anything to say" but the Sharks players never threw him under the bus like Wheeler did. Just messed up, man.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I just can't over the fact that he did not protect Kane when the Winnipeg media was ripping him, and even more so when he threw Kane under the bus with his comments. Not once did the Sharks players or Coach Boughner rip Kane. There was a lot of "no comment, I just don't know the situation, I just don't know, he's just not here so I don't have anything to say" but the Sharks players never threw him under the bus like Wheeler did. Just messed up, man.
When did that happen? You're talking years later after Kane had continued to rip the Jets in national media and accused an entire city of treating him with racist intent? Wheeler was not the captain when Kane was a Jet.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
When did that happen? You're talking years later after Kane had continued to rip the Jets in national media and accused an entire city of treating him with racist intent? Wheeler was not the captain when Kane was a Jet.

You're right that Wheeler wasn't captain when Kane was there.

When Wheeler said this to reporters, it implies that he thinks Kane is irresponsible. But then, why not say this behind closed doors? Why do you have to go to the media and say this about your teammate? And when you're not even captain yet?!

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

When Wheeler said this to reporters, it implies that he thinks Kane is irresponsible. But then, why not say this behind closed doors? Why do you have to go to the media and say this about your teammate? And when you're not even captain yet?!

yes, I'm sure nobody talked to kane about his attitude at all, he was a model teammate in buffalo and san jose, oh wait...

Reactions: 10Ducky10

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Bleh that quote is pretty mild. Not exactly a smoking gun to fulfill your narrative.

Reactions: Huffer

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
This is correct and it's certainly not a silly opinion based on nothing. There's evidence that GMs in the league fear these older guys falling off a cliff. Pavelski was 35, younger than Wheeler (and cheaper too!) and the Sharks were afraid to give him a third year on a new contract. Zuccarello was only 31 and when the Rangers committed to their rebuild they didn't even want him as a vet to shelter the young guys.

These two examples are kinda bad though since those two went on to have great success after joining their new teams. Someone might want Wheeler, but his huge cap hit has to worked around.
I love that your Pavelski example isn't supporting whatever it is you're doing here.

And your shock of a rebuilding team unloading a complementary vet shows really where you are at in all of this. NYR still got a 2nd +3rd for a couple months work which is a lot more than you are valuing Wheeler at and then he Wild still saw enough value to give him $30m.

Your wrecking yourself here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad