Value of: Blake Wheeler (2m retained)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He has 2 more seasons on his deal and with 2m retained, he would have an AAV of 6.25m.
Last three seasons, including this one, he has scored...
65 points in 71 games.
46 points in 50 games.
This year he has 59 points in 64 games.
Each year averages out to about 75 points in an 82 games.

What does he bring back in a trade?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Wheeler has minimal value at best. It’s widely known he’s part of the issue in Winnipeg with his lack of leadership and lack of accountability. It’s also supposed he’s at least part of the issue in the locker room with his aggressive attitude and behaviour.
He should 100% be removed from the team if the Jets expect to advance, but it’s more likely he’ll need to be bought out.
Unfortunately, I see very little chance Chevy does anything of value in the offseason as he’s said multiple times he likes this team and he likes Wheeler and Scheifele… the 2 biggest issues on the team.

Reactions: hn777

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
No one wants wheeler. Just buy him out and sign Stastny with the savings.

Reactions: hn777

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Regardless of locker room stuff he’s one the most empty calorie “point producers” in the league the last 2+ seasons. He will rack up assists still if you give him big minutes copious PP1 time but he will be 36 before next season starts and is pretty much a massive detriment in any measurable statistic.

Unfortunately I think any player-based locker room shake up for the Jets begins and ends with Scheifele. Wheeler is going to be extremely hard to move even with retainage.

92-DF80-B7-315-F-45-C3-A1-D8-D090-DA062-B1-A.jpg

Reactions: CanuckCity

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Seems everyone knows what is going on although they have never been in the room...
And there's tonnes of evidence!!!!! Like an interview where he tries to defend the team instead of bus throwing everyone like Jet fans want! Stupid Wheeler trying to defend his team, no wonder they are losing, his team mates must hate him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wheeler has minimal value at best. It’s widely known he’s part of the issue in Winnipeg with his lack of leadership and lack of accountability. It’s also supposed he’s at least part of the issue in the locker room with his aggressive attitude and behaviour.
He should 100% be removed from the team if the Jets expect to advance, but it’s more likely he’ll need to be bought out.
Unfortunately, I see very little chance Chevy does anything of value in the offseason as he’s said multiple times he likes this team and he likes Wheeler and Scheifele… the 2 biggest issues on the team.
Widely known to who? You? This is all conjecture on your part. You don't like the guy/player-fine, but bring something with substance.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Seems everyone knows what is going on although they have never been in the room...
Take all the locker room stuff aside. He’s still not a $6.25 million player and especially not thru his age 36 and 37 seasons. Unless you are taking another boat anchor back. He’s a poor even strength player who should be getting third line minutes and PP time.

I think it becomes cost prohibitive for the Jets to retain him down to a level that will draw interest. And whether any shred of the locker room stuff is true, he has meant a lot to the city and franchise. I can’t see them just dumping him (Suter/Parising him). Put him on the third line and PP for 14-15 minutes a night and see if a greatly reduced workload results in a more effective Wheeler. Look elsewhere to “fix” the team if we are being realistic.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I'm pretty sure there are 50 or 60 better ideas than the Jets giving away PPG players to fix the team.

The vast majority of Jet fans thought they were a contender this year. It didn't work out for a lot of reasons. Now there is a vocal group who has completely lost their minds over it. The coaching staff to begin with tried nothing and now them and these fans are all out of ideas.

But don't worry they are convinced Perfetti and his, the 20 year old with 7 points playing the most sheltered position on the team will totally make up for losing Wheeler or Scheifele. These people have completely lost it. These are the same people who love the #'s. #Free Dano, #Free Petan, #Free Postma, #Free Niku, #Free Stanley until he plays 70 games then it's time to move on and #Free Heinola. These same people who want every unproven young player "freed" give up on them in LESS THAN A SEASON and move on to the next young, unproven commodities over and over while shitting on PPG players. Just go wherever the wind blows.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
A soon to be 36 year old with a 5 team trade clause and 2 years left? That's not worth much. The Jets would just be trying to get rid of that contract. I would think it's 50% retention too. Nobody desperately needs a 36 year old passing winger for 2 full seasons with a $6m+ hit.

Maybe take back a contract for a season. Some mid to late rd pick. A prospect who isn't really a prospect anymore.

More likely than not, it's probably at the 2023 deadline he's traded, at the earliest, and that's if the Jets are out of the race. Even more likely, he goes into the 23-24 season in Winnipeg, and then it all depends on what happens. Or, of course, there's always a buyout option. Either way, old dudes with big contracts aren't easy to move.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
A soon to be 36 year old with a 5 team trade clause and 2 years left? That's not worth much. The Jets would just be trying to get rid of that contract. I would think it's 50% retention too. Nobody desperately needs a 36 year old passing winger for 2 full seasons with a $6m+ hit.

Maybe take back a contract for a season. Some mid to late rd pick. A prospect who isn't really a prospect anymore.

More likely than not, it's probably at the 2023 deadline he's traded, at the earliest, and that's if the Jets are out of the race. Even more likely, he goes into the 23-24 season in Winnipeg, and then it all depends on what happens. Or, of course, there's always a buyout option. Either way, old dudes with big contracts aren't easy to move.
Just ignore that he would be #2 in scoring on the Kings with only 64 games while not showing much regression and focus on his age. With your valuation you could have the whole Kings roster for a 2nd round pick.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm pretty sure there are 50 or 60 better ideas than the Jets giving away PPG players to fix the team.

The vast majority of Jet fans thought they were a contender this year. It didn't work out for a lot of reasons. Now there is a vocal group who has completely lost their minds over it. The coaching staff to begin with tried nothing and now them and these fans are all out of ideas.

But don't worry they are convinced Perfetti and his, the 20 year old with 7 points playing the most sheltered position on the team will totally make up for losing Wheeler or Scheifele. These people have completely lost it. These are the same people who love the #'s. #Free Dano, #Free Petan, #Free Postma, #Free Niku, #Free Stanley until he plays 70 games then it's time to move on and #Free Heinola. These same people who want every unproven young player "freed" give up on them in LESS THAN A SEASON and move on to the next young, unproven commodities over and over while shitting on PPG players. Just go wherever the wind blows.
I think it’s fair to want to see some change at this point. I think we have seen where a Scheifele and Wheeler led team gets you. You can change stuff at the edges but it’s still the same team. If you want to get a progressive coach first and see how things go, I think that would satisfy a lot of people but another slow start next fall and it would turn into a gong show again.

Now - if these same people who want massive changes and a youth movement then bitch and moan when the team is near the rear of the conference standings then sure, that’s pretty rich and that’s an expectation problem.

But is “running it back” really the way it to go?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Just ignore that he would be #2 in scoring on the Kings with only 64 games while not showing much regression and focus on his age. With your valuation you could have the whole Kings roster for a 2nd round pick.

Wow, you're taking this personally. OK, find the 36 year old with a couple years left and a high hit who A) gets traded, and 2) gets traded for anything. Not to mention a very limited NTC. I'm going by history. It's not anything against the Jets or Wheeler. It's just reality. He could finish 1st on a team in scoring, and he's not worth any real assets at his age and/or cap hit. You get to that age, and it's easier and easier to fall off the cliff at any time.

You want to talk about the Kings roster? Ok, there's not a bunch of value there either. What's your point? There's a reason trades aren't nearly as fun as they used to be. Because age and contract not only come into play due to the hard cap, but it's the primary thing people look at.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I think it’s fair to want to see some change at this point. I think we have seen where a Scheifele and Wheeler led team gets you. You can change stuff at the edges but it’s still the same team. If you want to get a progressive coach first and see how things go, I think that would satisfy a lot of people but another slow start next fall and it would turn into a gong show again.

Now - if these same people who want massive changes and a youth movement then bitch and moan when the team is near the rear of the conference standings then sure, that’s pretty rich and that’s an expectation problem.

But is “running it back” really the way it to go?
Who are you quoting ""running it back""?

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Wow, you're taking this personally. OK, find the 36 year old with a couple years left and a high hit who A) gets traded, and 2) gets traded for anything. Not to mention a very limited NTC. I'm going by history. It's not anything against the Jets or Wheeler. It's just reality. He could finish 1st on a team in scoring, and he's not worth any real assets at his age and/or cap hit. You get to that age, and it's easier and easier to fall off the cliff at any time.

You want to talk about the Kings roster? Ok, there's not a bunch of value there either. What's your point? There's a reason trades aren't nearly as fun as they used to be. Because age and contract not only come into play due to the hard cap, but it's the primary thing people look at.
You're the only one taking this personally. You put a silly opinion out there based on nothing and I pointed it out.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

This is correct and it's certainly not a silly opinion based on nothing. There's evidence that GMs in the league fear these older guys falling off a cliff. Pavelski was 35, younger than Wheeler (and cheaper too!) and the Sharks were afraid to give him a third year on a new contract. Zuccarello was only 31 and when the Rangers committed to their rebuild they didn't even want him as a vet to shelter the young guys.

These two examples are kinda bad though since those two went on to have great success after joining their new teams. Someone might want Wheeler, but his huge cap hit has to worked around.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Trade him straight up for Petry…..
Post automatically merged:

You're the only one taking this personally. You put a silly opinion out there based on nothing and I pointed it out.

mine is based on historical data of how mid 30s+ players fall of a cliff. It will happen, you don’t know when. The risk isn’t worth it.

this advice is true fir all players in this age range except fir Crosby, Malkin, and Ovie. Even on Malkin/ Ovie being a UFA I wouldn’t go past 2 yrs on them.

none of them will get an actual quality return.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Widely known to who? You? This is all conjecture on your part. You don't like the guy/player-fine, but bring something with substance.
Anyone who’s not a Wheeler apologist… he takes zero accountability for his faults and screwups and blames the youth.. his inner room attitude was glimpsed during the Laine issues.
He is a lousy captain… hopefully he leaves with Scheifele this summer

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Once upon a time I really liked the idea of trading for Wheeler and slapping him next to Byfield and I still do, but instead I'll trade you a tissue for a 7th until you can recognize a series of facts slapping you in the face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad