Blacking out Sens games in Saskatchewan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Seriously...... I don’t understand this. I get the Oilers, Flames and Jets games. They seem to think I can walk over to Ottawa and watch the game. I stream what I can but lately a lot of the streams suck. What’s the purpose in blacking out these games in Regina???

maybe I have to start cheering for Edmonton?? Legit since TSN took over NHL it’s been an utter nightmare.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Seriously...... I don’t understand this. I get the Oilers, Flames and Jets games. They seem to think I can walk over to Ottawa and watch the game. I stream what I can but lately a lot of the streams suck. What’s the purpose in blacking out these games in Regina???

maybe I have to start cheering for Edmonton?? Legit since TSN took over NHL it’s been an utter nightmare.
Are you talking about TSN5 or the online league pass? You should get Sens games if you're paying for the league pass but TSN5 games are local. You shouldn't be getting those on your cable package unless you've paid for centre ice or whatever they call it now.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Are you talking about TSN5 or the online league pass? You should get Sens games if you're paying for the league pass but TSN5 games are local. You shouldn't be getting those on your cable package unless you've paid for centre ice or whatever they call it now.
I don’t pay for centre ice. I don’t get how there isn’t a package where you can select one team for like 10 or 15 a month. NFL is in on DAZN for 20 a month. Centre ice is 30 or more a month isn’t it? Just seems so expensive. Wish there was an alternative to getting Sens games for a bit cheaper.

Reactions: Silencio

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Also I’ll never understand the black out. I get local because they want you to go and watch the game. But being that I live in Saskatchewan I can’t exactly just walk over to Ontario and watch the senators game. It makes absolutely no sense that we would get Winnipeg games and not Ottawa games

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Each team has rights to certain region, Saskatchewan's rights are shared by Edm, Cgy, and Wpg. You would only get national broadcasts for other teams. It's not that they think you can walk down to Ottawa, it's that your in an area that is specifically tagged for other teams only.

NHL blackouts can be confusing. We understand. Learn more here.

RCC_NHL_MAP_1800px-wide3.png

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Reactions: inthewings

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

The rules have not changed since the Senators rejoined the league almost 3 decades ago. Saskatchewan is not part of the Senators broadcast territory.

Reactions: tardigrade81

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You're just realizing this?

This is why Center Ice/League Pass or whatever they call it now exists. They have a product they want to sell you and that's pretty much it.

My cable provider messed up this year and still haven't corrected it. All TSN regional games are viewable, but they do have the Sportsnet regional stuff blacked out correctly.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So....... can I cheer for two teams then? Edmonton Oilers is shoved down my throat. Plus my spouse likes them. Ugh or move to Ottawa.
Or you could buy the specific product they have put out there for this very purpose? I get that it's pricey, but this is literally what Center Ice (or whatever it's called now) exists for... to provide out of market games to out of market subscribers.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Or you could buy the specific product they have put out there for this very purpose? I get that it's pricey, but this is literally what Center Ice (or whatever it's called now) exists for... to provide out of market games to out of market subscribers.
Problem is these things add up. Guess I got the MLB network but they had a Father’s Day special of 50 percent off and I got DAZN. NHL is by far the most expensive. Also my spouse in on matleave. Money is a struggle as it is. I still try and stream Sens games when I can. I have watched most oilers games this year as they are always on and have a soft spot for them. But ya once money situation is better next year I will get centre ice.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Problem is these things add up. Guess I got the MLB network but they had a Father’s Day special of 50 percent off and I got DAZN. NHL is by far the most expensive. Also my spouse in on matleave. Money is a struggle as it is. I still try and stream Sens games when I can. I have watched most oilers games this year as they are always on and have a soft spot for them. But ya once money situation is better next year I will get centre ice.
I feel you on that, was just being that guy to point out that you're in the situation you are because of that product they want to sell you. There are of course free avenues like streaming too. I've got a new baby and a wife on mat leave as well, so I can definitely understand that money gets tighter.

For whatever reason my cable provider has mistakenly left all TSN regional games not blacked out this year, so I've caught quite a few Sens & Jets games for free.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Blackouts exist because (in your case) Sportsnet has paid to be the local/regional broadcaster for the Oilers and Flames, both of whom include Saskatchewan in their market territory. Sportsnet wants as many viewers within the Oilers and Flames region as possible to watch as many Oilers and Flames games as possible, so they can justify and make a profit on their regional rights investment. That's why Sportsnet doesn't want/the NHL won't allow TSN to show Sens games for "free" in your region and potentially poach their viewership.

Trust me, as a Sens fan living in Toronto I feel your pain.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I feel you on that, was just being that guy to point out that you're in the situation you are because of that product they want to sell you. There are of course free avenues like streaming too. I've got a new baby and a wife on mat leave as well, so I can definitely understand that money gets tighter.

For whatever reason my cable provider has mistakenly left all TSN regional games not blacked out this year, so I've caught quite a few Sens & Jets games for free.
Glad I have someone else that understands :) and damn you’re lucky haha! I was deciding whether to get mlb extra innings or NHL centre ice. But when the Father’s Day discount came I got it (Red Sox fan) next year once Leah goes back to work money will be good and I’ll be able to get centre ice again.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Blackouts exist because (in your case) Sportsnet has paid to be the local/regional broadcaster for the Oilers and Flames, both of whom include Saskatchewan in their market territory. Sportsnet wants as many viewers within the Oilers and Flames region as possible to watch as many Oilers and Flames games as possible, so they can justify and make a profit on their regional rights investment. That's why Sportsnet doesn't want/the NHL won't allow TSN to show Sens games for "free" in your region and potentially poach their viewership.

Trust me, as a Sens fan living in Toronto I feel your pain.
Damn that sucks :( I have watched most oilers games because they are always on (plus they are the only other Canadian team I don’t hate, in fact I don’t mind them at all) but naturally watching them all the time makes me cheer for them a bit more. Next year I’ll get centre ice and be able to watch more Sens games. This year has either been crap streams or radio.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The other thing that may have added to your frustration is that there's been a few HNICs this year where the Sens game was not shown on the regular CBC/Sportsnet/CityTV channels. So even in Ottawa if you don't have some expensive premium cable package you don't get to see some of the games.

edit: Maybe this has been the case in past years as well, but since I downgraded by cable package this year I'm noticing it now.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

I think center ice still follows some blackout rules, or they did when I had it, pay for a year up front find out the games were blacked out half the time.
In the end I called bell told them I lived somewhere else and never plugged the phone line into my receiver.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Glad I have someone else that understands :) and damn you’re lucky haha! I was deciding whether to get mlb extra innings or NHL centre ice. But when the Father’s Day discount came I got it (Red Sox fan) next year once Leah goes back to work money will be good and I’ll be able to get centre ice again.
Short term pain for long term gain for us new dads right!?!?

Glad you said the Sox! One of the best sports memories I have is the 3-0 comeback against the Yanks many years ago. I'm a White Sox fan, but I've always been a Yankees hater above all else.

Yes, I have been lucky this year. I keep expecting them to fix it, but its still working for me. Its nice because while I can stream games, we have very low bandwidth limits with high over usage fees, so I don't like to use it for every game.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think center ice still follows some blackout rules, or they did when I had it, pay for a year up front find out the games were blacked out half the time.
In the end I called bell told them I lived somewhere else and never plugged the phone line into my receiver.
Ya that was my experience for many years I had it. Center Ice was a pretty broken for years, but they really seemed to fix the product after the big Rogers takeover, at least ime anyways.

On Shaw satellite I got basically every Sens game in HD and was never blacked out. Moved houses and had to get cable with Northwestel and even though it was still supposedly the same Center Ice product, I lost about half of my HD games and some were just mysteriously blacked out.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Short term pain for long term gain for us new dads right!?!?

Glad you said the Sox! One of the best sports memories I have is the 3-0 comeback against the Yanks many years ago. I'm a White Sox fan, but I've always been a Yankees hater above all else.

Yes, I have been lucky this year. I keep expecting them to fix it, but its still working for me. Its nice because while I can stream games, we have very low bandwidth limits with high over usage fees, so I don't like to use it for every game.
Definitely!!!!

Oh man that was seriously an iconic year. I will remember that for the rest of my life. Single handheld one of the greatest sports memoments in my life. So glad that happened in my life span!!!!!

And yes it’s just one year. I’ll be good again by next year to get centre ice.

Reactions: Gesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad