GDT: Blackhawks vs Canadiens

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I thought at least Hudon was creating some offence tonight. Among the prospects I think he and McCarron have outperformed the rest up front so far, imho.

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
Therrien refuses to compliment Beaulieu.

"We still view him as a really young defenceman who's trying to establish himself in the top 6. There's things that he needs to learn. It's a process."

Why should he?

I'm not a fan of MT but Beaulieu has done nothing to get compliments. He needs to keep on working on his play and stop floating on the ice. He's better than this.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I hesitated to post this, but I'll say it anyway, I think this pre-season has really brought things into perspective regarding the prospects, at least for me. There has been a lot of hyping of the youngsters recently and this pre-season has shown that good lot of them are average at best.

Hudon, DLR, McCarron, Lernout, Andrighetto, Tinordi and Scherbak have interesting skill sets for sure, but there is a lot of work to be done. The biggest standouts have been McCarron game against the leafs and Condon's 1 and 1/2 period. That's not saying much.

I'm glad there is pretty much no room for any prospect to make it this year, they all need developing and refinement. Biggest disappointments for me so far have been Tinordi, Andrighetto and Hudon. There's still time though.

As for the vets fighting for a spot tonight. Flynn is just a meh hockey player. There's nothing interesting about his game. I've always been a fan of DSP, but he's been a major disappointment all of his time with the Habs. He's playing better this pre-season, but it's not good enough IMO.

That's a nice insight, and I agree to a certain extent, though I feel there might be more to some of these guys than what they've shown in these few games. I'm done hoping any of them makes the team after camp, but I'd like to think a long term callup during the season is a real possibility for at least one of them.

Of course you need to factor in that our last 2 first rounders aren't taking part in these games due to injuries, so there's still hope for our prospect pool.

As for Flynn, I really don't get why he's getting so many opportunities, this guy is a 13th forward at best, even Buffalo didn't think he was worth keeping. I'd much rather see a guy like Kassian in his spot, he's shown some good plays in the two games he's played but his linemates aren't able to take advantage of the chances he gets them.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Out of curiosity, which players drafted by Bergevin are on the team or looking like they will be making an impact besides Galchenyuk?

This is his 4th year so we should be seeing some of these prospects coming through now. And no, I'm not bashing Bergevin, just curious what players others see as making an impact from this regime.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I thought at least Hudon was creating some offence tonight. Among the prospects I think he and McCarron have outperformed the rest up front so far, imho.

They have, but not by a fair amount. And the rest is sooo average/ordinary that you'd expect a much greater outperforming from these two, though I'm not concerned about that for now. I think their AHL time will dictate what happens next more than this training camp.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Out of curiosity, which players drafted by Bergevin are on the team or looking like they will be making an impact besides Galchenyuk?

This is his 4th year so we should be seeing some of these prospects coming through now. And no, I'm not bashing Bergevin, just curious what players others see as making an impact from this regime.

McCarron, though probably next season. Same for Scherback. I could see one of Hudon/Andrighetto get a callup during the season and sticking here. Or a surprise from the first two.

I agree with you that we should start seeing some guys other than Galchenyuk come up and have an impact, but some guys take a bit longer before they can do that. Gallagher did it 2 years after being drafted, but it took Pacioretty 4-5 years after being drafted before he really started making an impact on the team.

But yeah, not getting help from our prospects during this 4th year would start looking concerning, though next year is probably the ultimate deadline in that regard.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I hesitated to post this, but I'll say it anyway, I think this pre-season has really brought things into perspective regarding the prospects, at least for me. There has been a lot of hyping of the youngsters recently and this pre-season has shown that good lot of them are average at best.

Hudon, DLR, McCarron, Lernout, Andrighetto, Tinordi and Scherbak have interesting skill sets for sure, but there is a lot of work to be done. The biggest standouts have been McCarron game against the leafs and Condon's 1 and 1/2 period. That's not saying much.

I'm glad there is pretty much no room for any prospect to make it this year, they all need developing and refinement. Biggest disappointments for me so far have been Tinordi, Andrighetto and Hudon. There's still time though.

As for the vets fighting for a spot tonight. Flynn is just a meh hockey player. There's nothing interesting about his game. I've always been a fan of DSP, but he's been a major disappointment all of his time with the Habs. He's playing better this pre-season, but it's not good enough IMO.

I agree, a lot of them are overrated and no one has step up to force the team to keep them... Like Bournival did a couple year back. Hudon, McCarron and DLR they might be able to play in the NHL but it will be better for them long term to play bigger minute in the AHL.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
McCarron, though probably next season. Same for Scherback. I could see one of Hudon/Andrighetto get a callup during the season and sticking here. Or a surprise from the first two.

I agree with you that we should start seeing some guys other than Galchenyuk come up and have an impact, but some guys take a bit longer before they can do that. Gallagher did it 2 years after being drafted, but it took Pacioretty 4-5 years after being drafted before he really started making an impact on the team.

But yeah, not getting help from our prospects during this 4th year would start looking concerning, though next year is probably the ultimate deadline in that regard.

Yeah I agree with you on this. On point about needing some help. You see other teams that contend getting cap relief from having young players with big impact on ELC deals. Montreal needs that as well (although Beaulieu and Galchenyuk are on cheap bridge deals).

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Flynn is so annoying to watch. He's so bad. I also didn't like what I saw from Barberio. Overall this game was awful to watch.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think the collective goal of all non-roster players was to make Connor Crisp look great.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

Timmins is in charge of drafting. Bergevin is not an amateur scout and pretty much has his full confidence in Timmins. Apparently Bergevin wanted to draft Reilly in 2012, but Timmins wanted Galchenyuk. It's pretty clear that Timmins runs the drafting. Besides, McCarron, Scherbak, Hudon, and DLR will most definitely be NHL players, all of which were drafted during the Bergevin era. Lernout is also a strong candidate, but that remains to be seen.

Prospects take about 3-4 years to develop properly so I'd say Bergevin Era prospects are right on schedule.

Therrien refuses to compliment Beaulieu.

"We still view him as a really young defenceman who's trying to establish himself in the top 6. There's things that he needs to learn. It's a process."

Lets recall that Therrien refused to compliment an elite player in Subban for the first two years he was here. He's not going to gush over Beaulieu. Beaulieu is doing well, but it's not Therrien's style to just come out and say it.

Carey The Habs

Sep 18, 2015
Not sure why some people are already discrediting our prospect pool, the AHL is where they will really develop not half assed pre season. Catch a guy like Hudon on a hot streak down there and call him up due to injury could work out. IF MT uses him or any other prospect correctly.....

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not sure why some people are already discrediting our prospect pool, the AHL is where they will really develop not half assed pre season. Catch a guy like Hudon on a hot streak down there and call him up due to injury could work out. IF MT uses him or any other prospect correctly.....

We seem to be producing a ton of smallish weak candidates who are unable to deal with the day to day rigors of the NHL. We are on a good run of them starting with Leblanc then Bournival or how about Dumont. Now Ghetto and Hudon seem to be on that very same path. Only Carr in my opinion shows any toughness shift to shift out of our small forward group and even he was getting tossed around pretty good. This is why McGuire insists we are desperate to have Mac pan out. Sherbie may also have the tools and frame to graduate to this league but we haven't really seen anything from him yet due to injury. DLR also has the frame and smarts for this league but the more I see of him the less convinced I am that he can produce points at the NHL level.
We can only go on what we are presented with. None of these players show as being better than DD who many currently would like to see elsewhere. Are we too harsh not at all.
These camps and pre season games mean everything to the kids trying to impress and anyone who doesn't think so is fooling themselves.

Last edited:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Flynn is so annoying to watch. He's so bad. I also didn't like what I saw from Barberio. Overall this game was awful to watch.

I've never been a fan of barberio. Anyways, he's like #9 on the depth chart so whatever.

As for Flynn.... Yeah, he is annoying to watch. I mean, he seems to give an honest effort, but there is no part of his game that stands out. He just seems to be a tweener player that can't quite do one thing well enough in order to find a proper niche on this club.

I'll be honest, the youngsters as a whole have been underwhelming to date. Not only is it a negative for the state of our prospect pool, but from a selfish standpoint, it makes exhibition games really hard to watch!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I missed the game, any studs? duds?

Lernout made a couple of poor decisions; he's still pretty raw

Johnston struggled in his own zone

Hudon had an atrocious giveaway

Carr was alright

Blanchard was 2 seconds behind every play. Looked awful for someone with a lot of pro experience

that kid on Chicago's back end is gigantic.

I can't believe people are upset about a preseason game though

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
We seem to be producing a ton of smallish weak candidates who are unable to deal with the day to day rigors of the NHL. We are on a good run of them starting with Leblanc then Bournival or how about Dumont. Now Ghetto and Hudon seem to be on that very same path. Only Carr in my opinion shows any toughness shift to shift out of our small forward group and even he was getting tossed around pretty good. This is why McGuire insists we are desperate to have Mac pan out. Sherbie may also have the tools and frame to graduate to this league but we haven't really seen anything from him yet due to injury. DLR also has the frame and smarts for this league but the more I see of him the less convinced I am that he can produce points at the NHL level.
We can only go on what we are presented with. None of these players show as being better than DD who many currently would like to see elsewhere. Are we too harsh not at all.
These camps and pre season games mean everything to the kids trying to impress and anyone who doesn't think so is fooling themselves.

That is the Timmins signature style of player at forward. He loves them undersized. Lots of wasted picks with who you mentioned. And don't forget our little buddy Reway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad