Blackhawks use bye week to generate half million of cap space

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Maybe someone can clarify but think the Leafs did something similar, but not to that extent. It's a good way to **** off players. I don't care how rich you are, that's a lot of clams.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Math it up 68k times 7 is not 500k

It's 17k per day total that they're saving. 17k times about 6 days is 102,000.

The 477k is DEADLINE cap space. It's prorated based on the remaining length of the season.

The Hawks will save 477k in TDL space by doing this, or about 102,000 in end of season cap space for bonuses and such.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Pretty much every team has sent down their young players during the bye week? I think it has something to do with getting them additional playing time and they would do it regardless of cap savings, though that seems to be an added bonus.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Besides these recent reassignments, can someone go into more detail on how the Hawks have managed to have ~$6mill available at the deadline?

I'm also interested in this. It's way more than I thought they had. I thought they were at like 3 million for the TDL.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Besides these recent reassignments, can someone go into more detail on how the Hawks have managed to have ~$6mill available at the deadline?

I'm also interested in this. It's way more than I thought they had. I thought they were at like 3 million for the TDL.

It's not going to remain at 6 million.

That's capfriendly's projection now with Kero, Schmaltz, Hinostroza, and Forsling all off the roster at the moment.

The Hawks only have 20 players on the roster currently. Those 4 players are all probably going to get called back up before the Hawks play their next game. The Hawks certainly aren't going to go with only 11 forwards on the roster until the TDL.

But they do have a modest saving of around 477k in deadline cap space by sending these players down for a week and calling them up before the next Hawks game.

The TDL cap space will probably end up being around 2 or 3 million.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

That's capfriendly's projection now with Kero, Schmaltz, Hinostroza, and Forsling all off the roster at the moment.

The Hawks only have 20 players on the roster currently. Those 4 players are all probably going to get called back up before the Hawks play their next game. The Hawks certainly aren't going to go with only 11 forwards on the roster until the TDL.

But they do have a modest saving of around 477k in deadline cap space by sending these players down for a week and calling them up before the next Hawks game.

Thanks, that makes way more sense.

Although, if they wanted to leave Kero and Forsling down and play Kempny and Depsjardins the rest of the way for cap reasons, I wouldn't blame them. Since Kero is bad and Forsling isn't ready.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Shouldn't teams that generate the most money be able to spend more on their rosters?

Seems kinda unfair to fiscally successful organizations.

Now think about the long-term implications (which you're probably fine with, but the league isn't).

Teams need other teams to play.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Shouldn't teams that generate the most money be able to spend more on their rosters?

Seems kinda unfair to fiscally successful organizations.

Should the richer teams have access to better sticks and goalie gear as well?

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I suppose if everybody is cheating it by the same amount then it's still serving it's purpose of keeping everybody on the same level.

Why not just expand the cap by a little bit and then close this loophole so teams don't waste their time playing musical chairs with the roster?

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Should the richer teams have access to better sticks and goalie gear as well?

I seriously hope that all the teams in the NHL can afford top of the line gear for all of their players. If they can't then they probably should fold for not being able to generate such a paltry sum of money.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Have any other teams used this tactic? I though it was really clever, using a week you're not even playing to send down your rookies and gain the cap benefits.

Might be amended in the CBA in future seasons since the rules and cap implications were written well before the bye week was instituted, but for the moment it's a cheeky way for a cap-strapped team to add 500k.

According to cap geek, the Hawks - who are pressed up against the cap - currently have managed to unlock 6.3 million in deadline cap space. Obviously, any assets acquired would have to be UFA tho.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blackhawks

Capfriendly is not capgeek

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Because otherwise the Leafs, Rangers and Habs become the Yankees

The only difference is, with the exception of montreal, the Yankees managed to win every once in awhile ;)

I don't see what the fuss is about. Sure, it seems to go against the "spirit" of the cap. But so did front loaded contracts. They fixed that. Maybe they will "fix" this .. tho I'm not sure it needs fixing.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
You fix this by making the minor league take a bye week at the same time, you shouldn't have to though.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I seriously hope that all the teams in the NHL can afford top of the line gear for all of their players. If they can't then they probably should fold for not being able to generate such a paltry sum of money.

The point is, the NHL sets a level playing field for all teams on the ice. I have no issue for instituting one off the ice as well.

You couldn't equip your players with jet-powered hover skates or lightsaber sticks even if your team could afford them.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
The point is, the NHL sets a level playing field for all teams on the ice. I have no issue for instituting one off the ice as well.

You couldn't equip your players with jet-powered hover skates or lightSabre sticks even if your team could afford them.

Jet packs could probably explode in the ice creating a safety hazard for the players and lightsabres are from the movie series Star Wars and aren't real.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

You couldn't equip your players with jet-powered hover skates or lightSabre sticks even if your team could afford them.

If that's the case, shouldn't there also be a cap on everything? Coaching/scouting salaries, money spent on training facilities etc?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Thanks for the explanation.

So the ~500k added to the existing cap space should give them $2 or $3 mill come TDL. Would this differ from the teams "actual" cap space?

Cap Friendly has a definition for the two terms but I'm still a little unclear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad