Blackhawks use bye week to generate half million of cap space

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Have any other teams used this tactic? I though it was really clever, using a week you're not even playing to send down your rookies and gain the cap benefits.

Might be amended in the CBA in future seasons since the rules and cap implications were written well before the bye week was instituted, but for the moment it's a cheeky way for a cap-strapped team to add 500k.

According to cap geek, the Hawks - who are pressed up against the cap - currently have managed to unlock 6.3 million in deadline cap space. Obviously, any assets acquired would have to be UFA tho.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blackhawks

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Devils sent guys down last week during their bye-week to play games, not to save cap space, although it also saved them money.

I don't see them changing this as sending players down has been a tactic to save cap space since the introduced the salary cap.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Chuck Fletcher of the Wild has been using this tactic all season long in order to work the cap.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
What is the point of a salary cap if everybody is cheating it?
Because teams saving half a million dollars during a bye week means we should just get rid of the cap and let the Rangers, Leafs and Red Wings spend $140 Million on player contracts instead.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
What is the point of a salary cap if everybody is cheating it?

I think people are philosophically more at ease with teams using smarts to win rather than raw wealth.

*shrugs*

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think people are philosophically more at ease with teams using smarts to win rather than raw wealth.

*shrugs*

Raw wealth wasn't even the only factor in winning leading up to the salary cap though. The Leafs and Rangers were often the biggest spenders and never won anything.

The issue was that the constant upward pressure in salary was crushing small market teams and it was sustainable for a healthy league. There was a string of teams that had either gone bankrupt or were close to it, and were talking of moving like Edmonton, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc. and a bunch of other teams that were not on very healthy financial ground.

I see nothing wrong with what the Hawks did here though, and lots of teams do this every season.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
17k per day, for each player.

What kind of crazy rookie contracts are these guys getting?

A rookie making ~$600k should be saving ~$3-$4k per day against the cap, not 17k.

A 17k per day player would amount to something like a $3 million per year player.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Have any other teams used this tactic? I though it was really clever, using a week you're not even playing to send down your rookies and gain the cap benefits.

Might be amended in the CBA in future seasons since the rules and cap implications were written well before the bye week was instituted, but for the moment it's a cheeky way for a cap-strapped team to add 500k.

According to cap geek, the Hawks - who are pressed up against the cap - currently have managed to unlock 6.3 million in deadline cap space. Obviously, any assets acquired would have to be UFA tho.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blackhawks

Well, Montreal just sent down Daniel Carr and Michael McCarron.

EDIT : Actually, Carr was sent down before yesterday's game, probably because he was getting scratched and, if you're to save 5 days of caproom, why not save 6 ?

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

A rookie making ~$600k should be saving ~$3-$4k per day against the cap, not 17k.

A 17k per day player would amount to something like a $3 million per year player.

It's 17k in total

17k * 5 or 6 day bye week * ~5 (to pro rate the cap hit)

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

they sent down 4 players

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Sounds like a good way to alienate your youth.

They're taking money out of their pockets.

Meh, the "youth" don't need a week off...No reason why they shouldn't be improving their game in the AHL during the break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad