Blackhawks top prospects: #12

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm making a comp to making an absolute statement about something without having the sufficient information to do so. This is becoming pointless anyway and really doesn't matter at this point. Takes away from the thread. Moving on.

ok b/c .... well.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Yeah I just don't see how you can form an opinion on a player without seeing him play. Because even if you're going off scouting reports and other information about the player... it's still not really your opinion. You are just regurgitating someone else's opinion.

Which brings me to my next point. That's exactly why I asked them which prospects they've seen play. I've seen quite a few good scouting reports and opinions on multiple players outside the top 3. So if the scouting reports don't agree and they haven't seen them play... where are their opinions coming from? You don't think that's a fair question, LDf? Was just tryin. To figure out if there was a legit reason they thought that way or if they were just pushing more of their little Stanley bashing agenda. The silence tells me all I need to know.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah I just don't see how you can form an opinion on a player without seeing him play. Because even if you're going off scouting reports and other information about the player... it's still not really your opinion. You are just regurgitating someone else's opinion.

Which brings me to my next point. That's exactly why I asked them which prospects they've seen play. I've seen quite a few good scouting reports and opinions on multiple players outside the top 3. So if the scouting reports don't agree and they haven't seen them play... where are their opinions coming from? You don't think that's a fair question, LDf? Was just tryin. To figure out if there was a legit reason they thought that way or if they were just pushing more of their little Stanley bashing agenda. The silence tells me all I need to know.

it all points of scouting rpts, many people, esp from sports forums uses regurgitated info..... unless some spend the money to go to russia, to europe and esp in some of these out of the places area to scout the players. also, seeing a player play once is not enuf to fairly gauge on this skills set. these sports fans who writes up these scouting rpts and judge others really needs to think and look in the mirror to judge fairly. ex... the hawks 1st rounder last yr, how many went to see him play in his homeland ?? yet how many wrote flowing remarks on his selection ??

lastly, seeing and reading all the scouting rpts, via sports sites, and then making the best informed decision possible is what any can ask... lets explore this as well, all pro scouts do not bat 100% all the time. ex... next yr draft, by the experts have the mock at #1 and #2 players being either russian or the swed.... so how many of us sports fans who follow the draft, how many went to see them play, mulit times as well..... yet the consensuses have them rated as the top 2 in next yrs draft.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
it all points of scouting rpts, many people, esp from sports forums uses regurgitated info..... unless some spend the money to go to russia, to europe and esp in some of these out of the places area to scout the players. also, seeing a player play once is not enuf to fairly gauge on this skills set. these sports fans who writes up these scouting rpts and judge others really needs to think and look in the mirror to judge fairly. ex... the hawks 1st rounder last yr, how many went to see him play in his homeland ?? yet how many wrote flowing remarks on his selection ??

Just because they didn't go to his homeland doesn't mean they didn't watch him play. Most, if not all, NHL prospects have full game tape available.

lastly, seeing and reading all the scouting rpts, via sports sites, and then making the best informed decision possible is what any can ask...

Wrong, find game tape on them and watch it before coming to an absolute conclusion.

lets explore this as well, all pro scouts do not bat 100% all the time. Just because they aren't perfect does not mean they are always wrong, but I'm not sure what that has to do with people coming to absolute conclusions without having the proper information. ex... next yr draft, by the experts have the mock at #1 and #2 players being either russian or the swed.... so how many of us sports fans who follow the draft, how many went to see them play, mulit times as well..... yet the consensuses have them rated as the top 2 in next yrs draft.

What a bizarre debate.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yes, indeed.

too bad you feel that way. the whole point for me is everyone has an opinion and they can express that opinion. even if that poster didn't see this or these prospects in person to gauge their importance to the org.

bottom line, it is the right to post opinions.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
too bad you feel that way. the whole point for me is everyone has an opinion and they can express that opinion. even if that poster didn't see this or these prospects in person to gauge their importance to the org.

Just because people have an opinion, doesn't mean it is right or educated.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Correct, but not all opinions are created equal.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I get what you are saying LDF, I really do - but there is simply no better way to judge a player than the good ol' eye test. Yes it isn't perfect as you could have caught the game of their life or the worst game of their life which formulated your opinion, but at least you saw something that is tangible and you can equate to other players in the NHL..

Scouting reports do a service, they inform the average fan of what prospects are out there, but generally just following those listings or rankings is flawed as well as every year we see just how off many of those are as well. you do not know where the material is generally coming from as their "experts" might not actually be experts at all.

I am happily married, met my beautiful wife in person years ago , if I didn't get to see her first in person I doubt I would have taken anyone else's word on her because I need to see things for myself - maybe that is a stupid analogy but I hear what others say, but also need to see for myself as well to form an all around solid opinion.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

And on a message board others reserve the right to critique and question your opinions, which is what I was doing when I asked if they've seen anyone play.

Even though I think I know the answer, I was genuinely curious about how they were coming to that conclusion.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Just because people have an opinion, doesn't mean it is right or educated.

very true and my only defense to that is, this is a msg board and no one will have any fact supporting anything unless they have access to the actual source.... in this case, the front office.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I get what you are saying LDF, I really do - but there is simply no better way to judge a player than the good ol' eye test. Yes it isn't perfect as you could have caught the game of their life or the worst game of their life which formulated your opinion, but at least you saw something that is tangible and you can equate to other players in the NHL..

Scouting reports do a service, they inform the average fan of what prospects are out there, but generally just following those listings or rankings is flawed as well as every year we see just how off many of those are as well. you do not know where the material is generally coming from as their "experts" might not actually be experts at all.

I am happily married, met my beautiful wife in person years ago , if I didn't get to see her first in person I doubt I would have taken anyone else's word on her because I need to see things for myself - maybe that is a stupid analogy but I hear what others say, but also need to see for myself as well to form an all around solid opinion.
re to the analogy, i get it and understand it. however someone may say a whole lot of negative ..... but that person believe it shouldn't be posted.....

we are all fans, those working for the Bhawks do not follow or have the means to go out and follow the players / prospects. as you said, the eye test is the best.

other who want to take the high road wants to throw the "how many times have you seen this player or that player"...

seeing games on a limited bases or on tv, still does not give any an excuse to make judgement on anyone. we, as fans have an opinion and i welcome any and all opinions. if i have a problem, i will mostly ignore it or over look the post entirely, which i do all the time.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
And on a message board others reserve the right to critique and question your opinions, which is what I was doing when I asked if they've seen anyone play.

Even though I think I know the answer, I was genuinely curious about how they were coming to that conclusion.

go back to read my org post that started this whole rant on myside. it was directed at no-one....

there are several posters who always post that and i was general address it as a post to the board, to the forum.

questioning how someone comes to an opinion is really not the point... at least for me. if anyone does not like the opinion, the post, ignore it. posters that this way tooooo serious on needing to be right all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad