8. |Ian Mitchell|D|Spruce Grove Saints|AJHL|57th overall, 2017|24.14%|7
9. |Mathias From|F|Rögle BK|SHL|143rd overall, 2016|24.14%|7
10. |Vincent Hinostroza|F|Chicago Blackhawks|NHL|169th overall, 2012|28.57%|8
11. |Chad Krys|D|Boston University Terriers|NCAA|45th overall, 2016|33.33%|9

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I won't vote on any of these threads because I don't know most of these prospects but one of the players I have seen (briefly) playing against men is Alexandre Fortin and I like what I saw. TBH, for him to be out of the top ten prospects boggles my mind. Dam Hawks' future must be bright... or is it that folks have a warped sense of what makes a promising prospect.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Fortin didn't do much to live up to hype last year

Also there isn't much outside of top 3 prospects that really is all that exciting

Hawks prospect pool is weakest it has been in years

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I definitely disagree with that.

Rainbows, roses and butterflies are always brightly colourful, blooming and flapping their wings in your world ha

If this is not the weakest prospect pool since 2011 I don't know what is...

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Toss for me between Altybarmakyan, Barratt and Soderlund.
Went with Soderlund. Plus speed. Thought he may be the next Tony Salmelainen but maybe not.

Altybarmakyan may never see NA but based on his stats, I think he has very good upside. Barratt probably has the lowest ceiling of the three but has consistently produced at every level and may be the most consistent 2 way player. Also good at f/os.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Hawks top prospect is the weakest since TT first came to organization. The depth we have is a lot better than it has been in recent years. What do you expect for a pool when you have been winning Cups and divisions for years?

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
The Hawks top prospect is the weakest since TT first came to organization. The depth we have is a lot better than it has been in recent years. What do you expect for a pool when you have been winning Cups and divisions for years?
And Stan trading all top picks for used up useless vets ala Detroit.

Prospect pool isnt really that bad imo. Top end top 6 blows but decent depth at least at d. They have appeared to have solved the d pool depth with last 2 years drafts. Now on to forwards. Goalie depth is non existant.

Hoping DB doesnt turn out to be somehting like a Darren Haydar but Im not so sure this wont be the case.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Also there isn't much outside of top 3 prospects that really is all that exciting

Some players are better in the NHL than they were projected to be because of their hockey sense and ability to learn and adapt. With Fortin, I would just wait and see what happens when he gets here. Clearly, based on what we saw last year, he can do it. It is disconcerting that he didn't go back and dominate the lesser league though. I just think we should take that with a grain of salt. The coaches wouldn't have gushed over him so much if they didn't see something there. I'd like to see him add size though. He's way too frail for his height and he needs all the help he can get being a long shot.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Some players are better in the NHL than they were projected to be because of their hockey sense and ability to learn and adapt. With Fortin, I would just wait and see what happens when he gets here. Clearly, based on what we saw last year, he can do it. It is disconcerting that he didn't go back and dominate the lesser league though. I just think we should take that with a grain of salt. The coaches wouldn't have gushed over him so much if they didn't see something there. I'd like to see him add size though. He's way too frail for his height and he needs all the help he can get being a long shot.
Igor Radulov... 5 goals in his first 7 games. Things didnt work out very well for him. Not impressed with Fortins performance since he didnt dominate the Q. FA walk on. Has a chance but thats about it unless he can find a higher gear.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

Rainbows, roses and butterflies are always brightly colourful, blooming and flapping their wings in your world ha

If this is not the weakest prospect pool since 2011 I don't know what is...

Besides Hayden/Hinostroza, which prospects outside of the top 3 have either of you actually seen play hockey?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
you know what, "this how many times have you seen them play, " is a rigged comment. it is implied that unless you seen the players / prospects, you really do not have a valid comment to add to this forum. btw, unless anyone is a pro-scout, forming a opinion is or should not be taken seriously. the unknowable fact that 1. everyone has a valid opinion and 2. all scouts, amateur and the pro are not 100% correct.

another point, if 1 person see a prospect several times, still does not make them an expert on how they will develop.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
you know what, "this how many times have you seen them play, " is a rigged comment. it is implied that unless you seen the players / prospects, you really do not have a valid comment to add to this forum. btw, unless anyone is a pro-scout, forming a opinion is or should not be taken seriously. the unknowable fact that 1. everyone has a valid opinion and 2. all scouts, amateur and the pro are not 100% correct.

another point, if 1 person see a prospect several times, still does not make them an expert on how they will develop.

If you haven't seen players play then no, you really don't have any ground to stand on when claiming the wekaness, or strength for that matter, of an organization's system consisting of said players.

It's akin to looking at a score/box score and saying "God damn that was a ****** game" without having watched a single minute of it. You'd have no authority to comment on the quality of the game. At all. This isn't really any different.

That's not to say there shouldn't be threads about the prospects and discussions about them, but if people are going to make big proclamations about them they should be able to back it up with something. There is nothing wrong with people calling attention to that in the extreme cases.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Having an opinion on a prospect you've never seen play is absolutely an opinion I would ignore.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If you haven't seen players play then no, you really don't have any ground to stand on when claiming the wekaness, or strength for that matter, of an organization's system consisting of said players.

It's akin to looking at a score/box score and saying "God damn that was a ****** game" without having watched a single minute of it. You'd have no authority to comment on the quality of the game. At all. This isn't really any different.

That's not to say there shouldn't be threads about the prospects and discussions about them, but if people are going to make big proclamations about them they should be able to back it up with something. There is nothing wrong with people calling attention to that in the extreme cases.

but lets be realistic, on a sports forum as this, many posters can not see those prospects and gather information in other ways. if opinions are only valid if you attend the minor games or games at rfd, then there will less posters posting. furthermore, there will be a limit of how many times one will see said prospect in order to post on that player.

this is a forum and should really be acceptable on any and all opinions that should be welcome. even if they may not have seen these prospects.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Right, I have not seen most of these guys so I'm not commenting on them. Why would you have an opinion on a kid you've never seen?

b/c every posters who writes here, comes and share their opinion and sports dreams .... of their fav team winning it all. same with draft picks, posters who does not have ability to see the draft picks, have heard, read all the scouting rpts avail to make a sports opinion on the draft picks.

i am not trying to be snarky or ornery, but a fan who sees or do not see a prospects does not make them more right or less wrong in their opinions. mainly b/c that is what it is.... an opinion, 1 opinion of many others opinions.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
A: "That album is terrible. Worst one of the last five."

B: "Oh, really? You listened to every song?"

A: "No, I listened to three."

B: "You didn't listen to any others, just three? There's 12 songs, you know..?"

A: "Yep. Just three. Album sucks."

B: "....oh. Gotcha."

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
A: "That album is terrible. Worst one of the last five."

B: "Oh, really? You listened to every song?"

A: "No, I listened to three."

B: "You didn't listen to any others, just three? There's 12 songs, you know..?"

A: "Yep. Just three. Album sucks."

B: "....oh. Gotcha."

ok, are you making a comparison to listening to some band and their song list ??

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
ok, are you making a comparison to listening to some band and their song list ??

I'm making a comp to making an absolute statement about something without having the sufficient information to do so. This is becoming pointless anyway and really doesn't matter at this point. Takes away from the thread. Moving on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad