Blackhawks to name Kyle Davidson full time GM

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
only 18 replies? is there no fanfare for this hiring at all or what?
I just think the main boards are not interested in the Blackhawks and want to see them crash and burn (which is totally fair of course!! I dont blane anyone for saying f*** this organization)

plus Davidson doesn’t have much to argue about, no extensive experience, not a controversial person, hes not Peter Chia. So it is a bit of a: lets wait and see for this guy. Im sure on his first mediocre trade, the crowds will show up in swarms.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
We'll see how he does.

Most of the smoke around the Blackhawks was that Davidson was a McIver loyalist, while Stan and McIssac iced out McIver for not falling in line and actually arguing against their moves.

Ultimately, not sure how much it matters. The Blackhawks need a full teardown and rebuild. Until the money behind the GM is on board with that it's business as usual.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wise hiring.

Because he's good? No.
Because he's proven? No.
Because he's a new-age thinker? No.
Because he wasn't part of the old-boys club in Chicago? No.

Because he's going to be asked to rebuild, and likely find a new home for Kane and possibly Toews in the coming year; maybe even Jones. He's going to be asked to do some ugly years in Chicago... but he's cheap as a GM likely, and there's no way anyone wins those trades, so you might as well make the new kid look bad doing it. I feel it's a sacrificial lamb hiring by Chicago in the short term. I can't see this guy as the GM the next time this team's competitive.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
only 18 replies? is there no fanfare for this hiring at all or what?

As a Blackhawks fan I wanted Mellanby out of the guys they interviewed. Personally would have preferred someone like Lombardi.

Davidson has spent his entire career with the team so there isn't much to talk about. I.e. "he did this when he was GM at (team location)", "he was in charge of this task with this team" "he's the reason (team name) drafted (player).

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
As a Blackhawks fan I wanted Mellanby out of the guys they interviewed. Personally would have preferred someone like Lombardi.

Davidson has spent his entire career with the team so there isn't much to talk about. I.e. "he did this when he was GM at (team location)", "he was in charge of this task with this team" "he's the reason (team name) drafted (player).
Could possibly see mellanby still landing a job in the new front office.

Reactions: Voight and ClydeLee

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I am still shocked someone this young got that job.
Wise hiring.

Because he's good? No.
Because he's proven? No.
Because he's a new-age thinker? No.
Because he wasn't part of the old-boys club in Chicago? No.

Because he's going to be asked to rebuild, and likely find a new home for Kane and possibly Toews in the coming year; maybe even Jones. He's going to be asked to do some ugly years in Chicago... but he's cheap as a GM likely, and there's no way anyone wins those trades, so you might as well make the new kid look bad doing it. I feel it's a sacrificial lamb hiring by Chicago in the short term. I can't see this guy as the GM the next time this team's competitive.
I think Volica might be right about the sacrificial lamb thing. The GM is basically an intern. Still a great opportunity for him, if he does well enough he'll have a guaranteed GM job until he's 80 years old or has GM'd every club in the league, whichever comes first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad