Blackhawks terminating Perry contract for cause

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
"Workplace incident"...which..."did not involve any players or their families".

Yeah because fans, media, non fans wouldn't be expected to start wild speculation with the what has been presented. I mean 20 year vet run off the team and contract terminated because of inappropriate conduct, and the team involved is the Hawks. Yep people are idiot scum wondering what's up.

Reactions: BB79

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah because fans, media, non fans wouldn't be expected to start wild speculation with the what has been presented. I mean 20 year vet run off the team and contract terminated because of inappropriate conduct, and the team involved is the Hawks. Yep people are idiot scum wondering what's up.
"Workplace incident" is the new "mostly peaceful protest" apparently

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I have degrees in kinesiology and business administration. My mind automatically jumped to worse case. I hope I'm wrong, but if I am right, double the number of moderators on Business.

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA
The rumors have cooled and it's a workplace matter. I contend like in the other thread it's possible he was doing some sort of old school hazing to the young star.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This is beyond stupid...Davidson kept reiterating it was a 'indivudal personal matter'....yeah one that gave you grounds to terminate a guys contract....

Either give some info as to why or tell us why you can't (pending legal matter) etc.

If perry did something so reprehensible, he doesn't deserve privacy
But does the other employee this occurred with?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

ESPN reports that there was an incident with a team employee. Team immediately pulled him from game when they learned of incident and began internal investigation.

My speculation: inappropriate interaction with female employee (i.e., definition of sexual harassment).

• Wow
Reactions: SirJW

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013

ESPN reports that there was an incident with a team employee. Team immediately pulled him from game when they learned of incident and began internal investigation.

My speculation: inappropriate interaction with female employee (i.e., definition of sexual harassment).
New rumor out today

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
OK, so accepting some of these incidents at face value, my most likely guess is Perry was quite inappropriate with a female team employee, but either not to the point of charges of the victim didn't want to press charges.

That's the only reason I can think of for all the secrecy.

If Perry had a substance abuse problem they wouldn't be able to terminate his contract - instead he'd be suspended and go to treatment.

If he merely made an ass of himself at a team event they might terminate, but no need for secrecy.

Reactions: Stumbledore

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

I found this part to be an interesting thought.

Meanwhile, agents and players expressed concern to Daily Faceoff this week about the potential of Perry’s termination becoming precedent setting for conduct that may be improper but not illegal. After all, there are players who have run afoul of the law and never received discipline rising to the level of termination. The Los Angeles Kings terminated defenseman Slava Voynov’s contract in 2017 after he had been suspended indefinitely by the NHL and served 90 days in jail for domestic assault. The San Jose Sharks terminated Evander Kane’s contract in 2022 for failure to report and presenting a fake vaccination card; Kane and the NHLPA grieved the matter, resulting in a settlement that bridged the gap between what he was due to earn in San Jose and his earnings on a new contract in Edmonton.

The agents are sort of implying that this is a gunshy organization potentially overreacting to a player doing a stupid thing. Time will tell, of course, whether that's true. But I will say that the so-called morality clause in the standard player contract is a bit problematic because if its vagueness. Most large organizations will have well-developed and specific anti-harassment/anti-bullying policies. I'd be willing to bet most NHL clubs have something similar, but do they apply them to their players.

My point is that for terminations like this to be fair, the player needs to know what he's doing is wrong when he's doing it and expect that there will be consequences for his actions.

Just as a side note, it sounds like booze may have played a role in this. Maybe part of these kinds of policies should be for players to not be drunk in public. It would probably make Stanley Cup parades a little tamer...

Last edited:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
No real list of reasons in a SPC. Technically it'll likely either be "the player further agrees" 2(e)

to conduct himself on and off the rink according to the highest standards of honesty, morality, fair play and sportsmanship, and to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally.

or 14(a)

The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only after
obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:

(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of
Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC.

Or sorta both in conjunction

Seravalli is reading the BoH board lol.. where’s my byline?

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
OK, so accepting some of these incidents at face value, my most likely guess is Perry was quite inappropriate with a female team employee, but either not to the point of charges of the victim didn't want to press charges.

If Perry had a substance abuse problem they wouldn't be able to terminate his contract - instead he'd be suspended and go to treatment.

If he merely made an ass of himself at a team event they might terminate, but no need for secrecy.
According to Scott Darlings recent comments, if a player refused to enter the NHL assistance program his contract can be terminated

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Yeah, sure feels like there was a specific action involved, and my guess is a female victim they are trying to protect. Could be something as simple as grabbing her behind, would explain why the players had no idea it occured.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Friedman with measured considerations on Perry situation.

Really missed on not having (early) response to quell all the rumors, especially given team's past.

Mentioned that a number of teams have PR firms on retainer to guide them in these kinds of situations.

Hopeful that NHLPA will provide some guidance to players what actions to avoid (similar to what came out after Pinto gambling situation).

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
That's assault and the club has already said it's not criminal.

Could be splitting hairs but if the employee didn't want to press charges and police weren't involved then that could fit within KD's "not a criminal matter"? Or something similar along the sexual harassment front but below the line of it getting criminal.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Could be splitting hairs but if the employee didn't want to press charges and police weren't involved then that could fit within KD's "not a criminal matter"? Or something similar along the sexual harassment front but below the line of it getting criminal.

There are a lot of things that could theoretically be criminally charged, like grabbing someone's behind, that usually don't wind up in charges.

Reactions: MarkMM

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Definitely sounds like alcohol was involved.

I get the impression he won't be calling on union to grieve termination

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yes, very much sounds like he won't challenge the contract termination. He denies involving teammates or their families, says he was "inappropriate and wrong", but doesn't say what he did do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad