Blackhawks terminating Perry contract for cause

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Now, can Perry fight the termination, hypothetically?

Maybe he doesn't and wants to be a free agent but what would happen if the player didn't want his contract terminated?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

Maybe he doesn't and wants to be a free agent but what would happen if the player didn't want his contract terminated?
It depends on what caused the termination.

If Corey Perry did something wrong (something in what Perry has committed a fault of some kind and the reputation of the Blackhawks, its players and/or the NHL could be harmed) then his fight is virtually impossible. If Perry did something that is embarrassing, then he could have an argument.

Reactions: ShootIt

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Yes, Perry and the PA can grieve the termination. Without knowing what happened it's impossible to guess what their odds of success might be.

Very unusual to have a termination for cause where at least some element of the cause hasn't been publicly reported.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Primarily because people were speculating or asking for same. Take the hint, folks.

here is my question and it is a serious one. The hawks for the past few years have talked about being more transparent but they have done a basic copy and paste press release. Of all organizations in the NHL, the Hawks to me are on the shortest leash when it comes to being less than forthcoming in why and what they do.

Personally, I have a problem with the hawks doing this copy and poste statement without actually explain what has happened. We do not know what Perry did and with hawks not giving any idea of what he did--they are allowing speculation about the player to happen and damage done to a guy who many believe will get in the hall of fame

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There are too many things we don't know, including what we don't know. It's possible that the statement was vague because they're not sure how much they can safely divulge publicly without it leading to a grievance.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
here is my question and it is a serious one. The hawks for the past few years have talked about being more transparent but they have done a basic copy and paste press release. Of all organizations in the NHL, the Hawks to me are on the shortest leash when it comes to being less than forthcoming in why and what they do.

Personally, I have a problem with the hawks doing this copy and poste statement without actually explain what has happened. We do not know what Perry did and with hawks not giving any idea of what he did--they are allowing speculation about the player to happen and damage done to a guy who many believe will get in the hall of fame
Transparency isn't really telling everyone everything right away.

Transparency is having a problem, allowing independent review, then communicating what is needed about the independent review.

That being said, given that Perry is a public figure, there is a certain level of onus on Chicago to protect the public (if there is a chance that what happened could happen again)

Reactions: Stumbledore

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

If it's an ongoing legal matter, they may have been advised specifically to not comment.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Transparency isn't really telling everyone everything right away.

Transparency is having a problem, allowing independent review, then communicating what is needed about the independent review.

That being said, given that Perry is a public figure, there is a certain level of onus on Chicago to protect the public (if there is a chance that what happened could happen again)

So publicly humiliating a guy and allowing the internet speculate WILDLY is allowed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There are too many things we don't know, including what we don't know. It's possible that the statement was vague because they're not sure how much they can safely divulge publicly without it leading to a grievance.
They have to find a way because this is making it outside the hockey world. I have friends asking about it who don't know hockey at all.

They are really harming Bedard the longer they wait to make a statement to clarify things a bit.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
So publicly humiliating a guy and allowing the internet speculate WILDLY is allowed
The Blackhawks did not do this.

First and foremost, they cannot compromise the investigation. Second, they cannot do anything that could compromise the identity (or shame) anyone else that may have been involved.

Reactions: Otto

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Speaking in the hypothetical where I was employed by Chicago, yes, that's exactly what I'd do, because I'm not legally liable for the internet speculating. I am legally liable for what I say on behalf of myself or my organization.
A good lawyer would figure out a way to do both things. You're making it seem way more difficult than it is for the team to quash extremely harmful rumors.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Speaking in the hypothetical where I was employed by Chicago, yes, that's exactly what I'd do, because I'm not legally liable for the internet speculating. I am legally liable for what I say on behalf of myself or my organization.
But the hawks have put them in a bad position due to what they did last time. Hawks dug themselves a hole, lied about it and have no right to say "he screwed up so he is gone"--they need to explain their actions

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The Blackhawks did not do this.

First and foremost, they cannot compromise the investigation. Second, they cannot do anything that could compromise the identity (or shame) anyone else that may have been involved.
They can do a lot of other things that are perfectly legal and perfectly within their rights if they wanted to. I'd be so pissed off right now if I was Bedard.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
They can do a lot of other things that are perfectly legal and perfectly within their rights if they wanted to. I'd be so pissed off right now if I was Bedard.
I'm sure the Bedards are thicker skinned than a lot of people here think.

Also, the organization that was accused of not investigating serious allegations is not going to do anything to compromise a 3rd party investigation into this.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So the Blackhawks have very pointedly NOT disclosed the reason for the contract termination.

Perry 100% has the right to challenge the termination. If he does however the reason for the termination will almost certainly come out - the matter would need to go to arbitration.

If Perry though doesn't dispute the contract termination (if I recall correctly Evander Kane didn't dispute his contract termination) then the reason may not come out.

I do really hope that assuming "the rumour" isn't true that the Hawks, or Perry's agent, or someone, comes out to issue a complete denial, just so it can stop circulating.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
So the Blackhawks have very pointedly NOT disclosed the reason for the contract termination.

Perry 100% has the right to challenge the termination. If he does however the reason for the termination will almost certainly come out - the matter would need to go to arbitration.

If Perry though doesn't dispute the contract termination (if I recall correctly Evander Kane didn't dispute his contract termination) then the reason may not come out.

I do really hope that assuming "the rumour" isn't true that the Hawks, or Perry's agent, or someone, comes out to issue a complete denial, just so it can stop circulating.

The Blackhawks terminated the contract for ‘unacceptable conduct’ under the Standard Player Contract. The idiotic ‘rumor’ would not fall under any of the terms of the standard player contract.

If people want to guess, they should find a blank standard player contract (you could probably just ask for one from any agents office), and start crossing off what seems unlikely until they narrow it down.

Reactions: acetaminofan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

There are also team rules (think Lamoriello no facial hair) that are also explained when joining organization. What I know of them, it's usually dress code for games, travel, etc.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
There are also team rules (think Lamoriello no facial hair) that are also explained when joining organization. What I know of them, it's usually dress code for games, travel, etc.
I doubt that teams are allowed to terminate contracts if a player turns up unshaven for a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad