Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks sign G Antti Raanta

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I have followed Raanta since he arrived to Ässät. The only relevant thing you need to know is that he has surpassed the expectations pretty much always. Your expectation is "maybe NHLer"? Don't be surprised if Raanta is a starter in NHL in 2013.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Emery was going to price himself out of Chicago with the season he had. Raanta will be the back-up next year and he could be the Blackhawks starter in 2014-15, depending on how he plays next year and depending on how contract talks go with Crawford.

sob

Jul 25, 2003
Finland
Visit site
I have followed Raanta since he arrived to Ässät. The only relevant thing you need to know is that he has surpassed the expectations pretty much always. Your expectation is "maybe NHLer"? Don't be surprised if Raanta is a starter in NHL in 2013.

Well, I agree he was dominating in Finland this spring. However, Antti himself admitted that the quality of the shots slightly surprised him in the World Championships. So I wouldn't expect him to clinch the starter post next season. Being a solid back-up would be a very good achievement.

Having said all that, I agree he was one of the best goalies if not best last season in Finland, and proved to be mentally very solid.

I hope he will become a starter in the NHL - and he has the tools. But I don't automatically expect that will happen next season.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
I like the signing, Emery is as good as gone and not in a bad way. He has played well enough this season to sign a bigger deal and to earn a potential starting job or be a back-up for a younger less experienced goalie.

Plenty of teams with lots of cap space and a need for a #1 or good #2.

Plus Bickell and Leddy are more important to the future of this team then Emery is and will be the priority in the off-season.

I really like the signing of this kid, it finally gives the Hawks a young stud goalie that can be groomed for the job.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Does this mean the Hawks won't draft a goalie with their first rounder even if he is the BPA remaining? Well if Tristan Jarry or Phillipe Desrosiers are still on the board they still should do it...unless Stan is certain one of his existing drafted goalies can develop into an elite starter down the road..I have zero faith that either Carruth or simpson can do that. ...maybe Whitney. ..but I am certakn that both Jarry and Desrosiers have that kind of projection....so the stlry goes like this -especially if the Hawks win the Cup....next contract Crawford now considered.NHL elite calibre feels he should be paid to that level Hawks can't afford it on cap then to pay another 6mil. contract so bye.bye CC...Raantta takes over ztarter at cheap reasonable pay still on contract he signs aftdr next year. ....so if we draft an elite goalie now we develop him with 2 more years in Jr. then a year in Rockford then a year backing up Raanta then takes over when Raant's second contract is up and he demands his six mil a year...Then we get the kid cheap through his 2nd cotract so that by the gime he is on his third and demands his own $6mil. WE SIGN HIM LONG TERM BECAUSE OF COURSE BY THEN Kane and his lousy Playoff producgion willbe shjpped off to Buffalo for a big cap saving to allocate elsewhere...so strategically we sfillneed to draftan elite projecti le goalie to prep for the ensuing demands on cap that elite goalies.can command on the market that Crawford then Raanta will inevitably ask in shaking us down...Otherwise we rely.on medicrities.from the pipeline...

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Does this mean the Hawks won't draft a goalie with their first rounder even if he is the BPA remaining? Well if Tristan Jarry or Phillipe Desrosiers are still on the board they still should do it...unless Stan is certain one of his existing drafted goalies can develop into an elite starter down the road..I have zero faith that either Carruth or simpson can do that. ...maybe Whitney. ..but I am certakn that both Jarry and Desrosiers have that kind of projection....so the stlry goes like this -especially if the Hawks win the Cup....next contract Crawford now considered.NHL elite calibre feels he should be paid to that level Hawks can't afford it on cap then to pay another 6mil. contract so bye.bye CC...Raantta takes over ztarter at cheap reasonable pay still on contract he signs aftdr next year. ....so if we draft an elite goalie now we develop him with 2 more years in Jr. then a year in Rockford then a year backing up Raanta then takes over when Raant's second contract is up and he demands his six mil a year...Then we get the kid cheap through his 2nd cotract so that by the gime he is on his third and demands his own $6mil. WE SIGN HIM LONG TERM BECAUSE OF COURSE BY THEN Kane and his lousy Playoff producgion willbe shjpped off to Buffalo for a big cap saving to allocate elsewhere...so strategically we sfillneed to draftan elite projecti le goalie to prep for the ensuing demands on cap that elite goalies.can command on the market that Crawford then Raanta will inevitably ask in shaking us down...Otherwise we rely.on medicrities.from the pipeline...

The Hawks don't need to draft a goalie, they need to add some quality D prospects to their system.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Raanta was spotted early on season by Blackhawks scouting department. Also contact was made much earlier by Hawks than other suitors. I heard Raanta to Hawks rumor over two months ago from a close source (Raanta's friend). So Hawks were just not blinded by last two months of Raanta's play, they have been watching him closely for a longer period. I also heard that Hawks' goaltending coach/scout saw three out of those five postseason SO's that Raanta posted.

So Hawks really know who they signed and apparently Raanta was convinced by their determination. It's a very solid starting ground for both parties. I expect Raanta to become solid number two during next season and challenge Crawford/Replacement for number spot 2014-15.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Some posts before the signing:

From the Oilers board:

He is a guarantee.

His .0943 is the second-best in recorded history, only behind Tim Thomas in 04-05, and well ahead of a number of goaltenders who have gone to have successful NHL careers.

Raanta won the league MVP awards in both the regular season and the playoffs as he led Assat to the SM-liiga title. He just turned 24 years old. The potential.

From the Jets board:
His SM-liiga numbers were slightly behind Thomas .943 to .946 and ahead of Lehtonen, Backstrom and Vokoun.

After the news he had signed with Blackhawks:

Jets board:

That's an odd place to sign.

Even if he isn't a "guarantee" there is huge potential in him. Antti Niemi wasn't a goalie prospect when he came over. Antti Raanta at 24 can be considered one + he is in the class of Thomas, Vokoun, Backstrom, Kiprusoff as far as SM-liiga goalies go. Add to that there isn't much risk in signing him other than the fact that there were four other teams after him, you might have had to "promise" him the back up spot to lure him in.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Crawford will be 29 next year and in the last year of his deal. Would be great to have the rights to a 24 year old with a lot of promise/talent sort of like how the Bruins transitioned from Thomas to Rask (admittedly Thomas is much older than Crawford).

Nothingman*

I am happy with this. Gives us options when Emery asks for too much. Which I cannot blame him for doing considering his year. But he also cannot blame the Hawks for preparing for a cap lowering :)

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Well, I agree he was dominating in Finland this spring. However, Antti himself admitted that the quality of the shots slightly surprised him in the World Championships. So I wouldn't expect him to clinch the starter post next season. Being a solid back-up would be a very good achievement.

Having said all that, I agree he was one of the best goalies if not best last season in Finland, and proved to be mentally very solid.

I hope he will become a starter in the NHL - and he has the tools. But I don't automatically expect that will happen next season.

Very similar stuff than what was heard about him before SM-Liiga "Not experienced enough to lead Ässät to anything serious" and before World Championships "Clearly not #1, Ortio takes the spot hands down, Raanta needs to get more experience". Raanta wasn't supposed to get done next to anything (well, Ässät to playoffs and that's it), but he did everything that was virtually possible. This is just the next step. I believe strongly that AHL is a lot easier place to play than against teams like USA, Slovakia, Russia or Sweden in World Championships. The only big question is "how Raanta plays in small rink?". Pretty similar to "how Raanta plays when he knows nothing about the d-men in front of him?".

I'm not saying Raanta is a sure bet Blackhawks starter by the end of this year. I'm saying that don't be surprised if he is. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Razor was the best backup in the NHL year this year. I don't know what your issues with him are - but they clearly aren't about his performance.

He was one of the best in the league this year, period.

I'm happy if he stays here, but I doubt we can afford him. I think he might still be a capable starter in a tandem situation on a defensive team.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Raanta looks to be mentally very strong. All the media hype in Finland (playoffs/world champs) didn't get into his head. And there were lots of media.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Raanta looks to be mentally very strong. All the media hype in Finland (playoffs/world champs) didn't get into his head. And there were lots of media.

That's easily one of the most important abilities for a goalie, especially when we talk about top-100 goalies in the world. That is for example a lot more important than stick-handling.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I know it may sound arrogant, but I had him on my european goalie watch list before :laugh:
Now after thinking about it, this sounds like another great signing and you lose nothing if he doesn't pan out. No risk, high reward signing. Good asset management too

Link is from 02-13-2013

weber32*

Raanta

very very very good move by HAWKS.

EMERY STALBERG etc... trade for draft picks 2013 : )

RAANTA: Sorry for Edmonton : )

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
Seems to be coming with good hard-working attitude and not excepting free passes. Some comments he made to Finnish media rougly translated:

On possible AHL: ''I'm certain I'll have to go to the AHL. That's the goalie thing. It's a **** job and constant battle for playing time.''

On KHL/NHL: Raanta emphasizes that his dream was specifically NHL although he could have gotten more money in the KHL.

''It was clear as day the whole time. They play proper ice-hockey in NHL and it's the best league in the world although KHL is coming too. But the NHL has the world's best players and proper/real North-American ice hockey''

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad