Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks sign G Antti Raanta

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
That link is not a confirmation. Just that 'according to sources....' Yeah could be that he goes to Hawks but that link is not confirmation of the contract yet.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Sounds solid. Anyone seen him play? I'm not savvy on overseas players.

Just the highlights but he looks pretty strong all around, flashy at times too, reminds me of Fasth. Not the biggest guy but certainly talented.

Fin9*

Raantas playoff stats were:

16 GP 1.33 GAA 95.5 % (Won the Playoff MVP,´Sm-liiga Vezina´ and Sm-liiga ´Hart trophy´)

Regularseason:

45 GP 1.85 GAA 94.3 %

Looked solid in the WCs, posted 2.09 and 92.8 % in 7 games.

I think he has the ultimate Boom or Bust potential.
Hes still pretty young too for a goalie, 24.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
That link is not a confirmation. Just that 'according to sources....' Yeah could be that he goes to Hawks but that link is not confirmation of the contract yet.

Between this and the fact that I haven't seen anyone on the Hawks beat confirming this, I switched this to a rumor thread for now.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
That said, it sounds like a good move.

All signs point to Raanta being able to help if not as a backup in Chicago then at least as a starter in Rockford. He's not hopping the pond to play in the minors though.

This might be spelling the end of Ray Emery in Chicago.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Depends on the money. If the Hawks have any hope of retaining Bickell, they have to have a back up that makes under 1 mil per season.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Fasth originally signed for 1M and was more decorated, so I don't see him getting any more than that. Still, the guy is coming off an MVP season, will be a huge pickup and boost to the goaltending position.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Wonder what the cap hit will be and will he be a RFA after 1 year or arb eligible at least?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Great signing guys.

I've had my eyes on him all season and he will be a great fit for you. I think he takes over for Emery and will save you some cap space. He also has the potential to maybe turn into a Fasth, or better, and maybe one day overtake Crawford. Who knows.

If not, he'll at least provide you with a stable backup and buy some time for some of your lesser prospects as they continue to develop.

You guys should be very happy with a signing like this. The kid was a hot commodity.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's great because now we have a plan B if Crawford ends up costing too much after next year.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think he becomes unrestricted after one year. I know that's the case with Damien Brunner in Detroit. Would this situation be any different?

Wasn't Brunner a UFA because of his age? Brunner is 27 and pretty sure 26 is the last year a player can be a RFA, Raanta is 24.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
A player who is no longer considered to be entry-level, but does not qualify as an unrestricted free agent, becomes a restricted free agent when their contract expires. A player may only declare themselves to be an unrestricted free agent if they are over the age of 27 or have played in the league for a minimum of 7 years.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Tweeted by Mckenzie. I guess its official. Hawks were rumored to have a handshake agreement in place much before Raanta became a hot commodity.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
BTW, Raanta has not actually signed the contract with CHI but has agreed to terms with Hawks. Paperwork is in process of being finalized.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Raanta will be an RFA, just as Leblanc will, who is also about the same age.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I can see him starting in the AHL next year to get used to the NA ice..much like Niemi when he came over.

I think you can stop making Fire Bowman threads now, Cold.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I can see him starting in the AHL next year to get used to the NA ice..much like Niemi when he came over.

I think you can stop making Fire Bowman threads now, Cold.

I think he'll get a chance to compete in camp. Hawks can't afford to pay much for a back up goalie.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This is a great step forward, getting a player I wanted, very happy with Bowman. Now, as long as they don't piss on face and then resign Emery, it should work out.

Pailhead

Oct 30, 2011
Plymouth, MI
A player who is no longer considered to be entry-level, but does not qualify as an unrestricted free agent, becomes a restricted free agent when their contract expires. A player may only declare themselves to be an unrestricted free agent if they are over the age of 27 or have played in the league for a minimum of 7 years.

I didn't realize age played a factor. It's good to know he shouldn't be a one and done if he plays well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad