NHL BlackHawks sexual assault case - Blackhawks fire Jeremy Colliton

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Ah yes, the same Wayne Simmonds who called Sean Avery a "f****t".

If we never allow people who have made mistakes/done wrong (not --child molesters or sexual predators) but people who did or said things that are regrettable, but not life altering, to speak out in support of those wronged, nothing is going to change.

Sean Avery last played in the league --- what? 7-8 years ago?

I'll judge Simmonds by what he's saying and doing now -- until I have a reason to think differently --- otherwise 90% of us would be precluded from doing anything in support of the Kyle Beach's of the world.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If we never allow people who have made mistakes/done wrong (not --child molesters or sexual predators) but people who did or said things that are regrettable, but not life altering, nothing is going to change.

I'll judge Simmonds by what he's saying and doing now -- until I have a reason to think differently --- otherwise 90% of us would be precluded from doing anything in support of the Kyle Beach's of the world.

Yes, God forbid Wayne Simmonds could grow up.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
If we never allow people who have made mistakes/done wrong (not --child molesters or sexual predators) but people who did or said things that are regrettable, but not life altering, nothing is going to change.

Well said, Sarge.

Reactions: sarge88

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Not Blackhawks related, morally corrupt hockey culture-related.

That is utterly disgusting. Can’t imagine what that poor girl must’ve felt. I don’t care how young you are, there’s absolutely no excuse for that behaviour. I’m truly enraged at this type of stuff that goes on nonstop everywhere in hockey and nothing is ever done about it.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
That is utterly disgusting. Can’t imagine what that poor girl must’ve felt. I don’t care how young you are, there’s absolutely no excuse for that behaviour. I’m truly enraged at this type of stuff that goes on nonstop everywhere in hockey and nothing is ever done about it.

women have walked past men on our way to the bathroom and been told to “suck our dicks” for years and years and years.

as sad as I am for these women having these experiences, I’m incredibly thankful for them speaking up. The tide is turning.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
This pisses me off.

Where the hell were the adults??

In the stands, unfortunately

I can’t stand cancel culture that emanates from Twitter, the holier than thou bullshit that’s all about attacking instead of solving real problems, but thank god for social media and cameras being everywhere, now we can at least put this shit on display and people can’t say “that’s not what happened” and turn it into a he said she said

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Local hockey related ….not good..not good at all.
Tonights Globe:

Danvers fights efforts to expose high school hockey team’s alleged misconduct - The Boston Globe

DANVERS — Public officials in this North Shore community have concealed for more than 16 months a disturbing secret.
In June 2020, a varsity boys hockey player reported to school officials and police that two teammates physically restrained him the previous season while another repeatedly struck him in the face with a plastic sex toy because he refused to shout a racial slur in one of the all-white team’s regular locker room rituals.
The sessions were known on the team as “Hard R Fridays,” the “R” referring to the final letter of the n-word, according to the player and other individuals who separately learned about the team’s alleged tradition.

The player later reported the incident to a special investigator commissioned by the Danvers School Committee. He also told school officials, police, and the special investigator that a player touched him inappropriately after the team stripped naked in another locker room ritual known as “Gay Tuesdays,” according to the player and three other people who were with him when he made his statements to investigators.

What’s more, more than half of the 2019-20 hockey team allegedly participated in a disturbing group text chat laced with deeply offensive words and images. In a transcript obtained by the Globe, one text made a crass joke about how Jews were murdered during the Holocaust, while numerous others included videos making light of the violent deaths of Black people, and one mocked an image of a Black Danvers High student, suggesting he was being lynched.
Town officials have compiled two investigative reports and commissioned a third on the matter, but school officials and police have yet to inform the community about the alleged violent racist and homophobic locker room behavior or details of the virulent group text messages.
The response by town officials has in effect shielded from public scrutiny allegations that could reflect poorly on a prominent Danvers police sergeant, Stephen Baldassare, who was the hockey team’s head coach at the time of the reported incidents and for many years worked as a resource officer in the high school. He has since resigned as the hockey coach.

Baldassare did not respond to interview requests from the Globe but has denied to investigators knowing anything about the alleged misconduct, according to town officials.
For the last six months, Danvers officials have fought the Globe’s efforts to obtain details of the investigative reports. Indeed, the school district refused to produce even a redacted copy of the special investigator’s report until it was ordered to do so in August by state public records authorities, responding to appeals by the Globe.
Even then, the district released a copy in which the investigator’s findings and conclusions were almost entirely blacked out, as were specifics of the alleged locker room abuses and text chat. On Monday, after a further Globe appeal and resultant state order, the school department produced another, somewhat less redacted, copy of the report.
The Danvers School Committee also has declined to shed light on details of the alleged abuse.
“This is not because we are trying to sweep things under the rug or because there is some kind of coverup,” then-chairman David Thomson read from a statement at the committee’s March meeting. “It is simply because when employees, minors, and third-party witnesses are involved, there is a certain level of privacy that individuals are legally entitled to.”

Closing ranks is a common and misguided response when community leaders confront explosive allegations, one expert said.
“A lot of times people close ranks when they realize they’ve made major mistakes and they don’t want them to typify them or their whole community,” said Dan Lebowitz, executive director of the Center for the Study of Sport in Society at Northeastern University.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The response by town officials has in effect shielded from public scrutiny allegations that could reflect poorly on a prominent Danvers police sergeant, Stephen Baldassare, who was the hockey team’s head coach at the time of the reported incidents and for many years worked as a resource officer in the high school.

I mean the whole story is bad.

But this in particular? Can't say I am shocked.

Reactions: Alicat and HustleB

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
The response by town officials has in effect shielded from public scrutiny allegations that could reflect poorly on a prominent Danvers police sergeant, Stephen Baldassare, who was the hockey team’s head coach at the time of the reported incidents and for many years worked as a resource officer in the high school. He has since resigned as the hockey coach.

:pullhair:

Reactions: Alicat and HustleB

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
LeBrun: All NHL owners should feel responsibility to speak up and act in aftermath of Blackhawks scandal

Jacobs is the Chairman of the Board of Governors, so in the wake of Chipman’s comment, I reached out last week to the Bruins owner via team PR for an interview with him on the matter.

Here’s the Jacobs statement sent to me via team PR:

“It is clear that our sport has failed Kyle Beach. I commend him for his courage in coming forward in the wake of the trauma he endured. What Kyle and the other unnamed victim experienced is unacceptable. Hockey needs to be a safe place for everyone and the culture needs to evolve to support that. The NHL’s Governors take this systemic failing very seriously and the onus is on us to work to prevent it from happening again in our sport.”

It goes without saying that I would have preferred to actually interview the Bruins owner, as chairman of the Board he really is an important face for NHL ownership, and I did ask to actually talk to him; I got a statement in return.

Now, that’s not great, but at least there was a response. Jacobs doesn’t do a lot of media. He’s rarely quoted.

Reactions: Alicat

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Holy shit re that Danvers story

Here's my issue with this stuff.

It doesn't go from 0-100 in 3 days. Meaning each of the stupid acts or team traditions, for lack of a better word, didn't start all at once. Where were the coaches, parents, teachers, administrators when the first hint of inappropriate behavior happened? The second? Third?

Even if the coach was 100% aware and did nothing, there is no way that this stuff was kept under wraps and no parent, teacher, rink attendant, administrator etc. had any idea it was going on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad