News Article: Blackhawks seeking defenseman via trade

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Couldn't they have signed Schlemko in the off-season for the 750k he eventually got, if they wanted him?

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
Couldn't they have signed Schlemko in the off-season for the 750k he eventually got, if they wanted him?

You never know. They might have made an offer and picked NJ. Or they might be looking at him at all. Those two are just who came to mind when I considered what the Hawks are probably looking for. A veteran 3rd pairing guy, who shoots left, has a cheap enough cap hit, is only signed for this year, and shouldn't cost too much in a trade.

needle

Apr 30, 2012
The bigger need right now is a scoring LW for line #1....Rozsival is the vet D-man depth for spelling off TVR as 3rd pair RD if TVR does not maintain the level they expect or needs some rest at certain points in the season...Svedberg is fine playing 2nd pair LD as long as they understand he is strictly a defensive dman and not point producer...Keith and Dailey are supposed to supply the points offensively...if they do not blame them not Svedberg...But as I said many times already in posts...opponents score very little on us when Svedberg is on...even though his Cors may not be what you want from a 2nd pair dman...he blocks shots. .uses the long stick to bust up passing g through Kane's. ..provides god positioning and moves guys off pucks albeit not looking nasty while doing it...the size reach and long stick all help defend the crease area..What he does well he does well but if you want a better offensive guy then that is one thing...if you want more experience just for experience with no real effective 2 -way benefits...that is plain stupid....Timonen had experience but his play was a dud...so do not give me we need experience...State it honestly...if a Dman can prevent goals as well as Svedberg does AND also produce significantly more points...then get that guy if you you can...But at what cap hit and who needs to be traded..to get a really good 2-way 2nd pair minutes guy ? AND such e emplars if experienced are usually at a good oay level already...So I do not see the need for doing this ...Maybe they think we are more potent if we beat teams 5-3 instead of 3-2 or 4-1? BUT we were not the top offensive team last year either...we won by keeping pucks out and scoring enough go win a lot of close games...The eed to me is more dire on line #1 at LW ...we're are unbalanced because we have so many 3rd and 4th line wingers and you cannot plug any of them uine to line #1 and really get the scoring required there..This means either solve from within...by recalling Dano or Hinostrozza for scoring talent OR trade one of the bottom 2 line winger parts for a #1 line LW candidate who can help line #1 score more..

Another idea to solve this might be to move Rundblad...yes him...to the #1 line LW ...yes make him a winger...he can skate and attacks well with the puck and if defensive zone reads and not being good at knocking guys off pucks are his big flaws then do not risk those. ..instead as a winger he would have much simpler defensive duties and could carry pucks and shoot and pass more on the Attack ...which are his strengths...make him a winger...they did that many years ago with Doug Mohns who was a good D-man ...but the conversion to LW worked out great in that case..My hunch is it would work well here and now with Rundblad. ..Make him a winger and use his best attributes...skating
..passing and shooting and hide his flaws...reading d-zone plays/awareness...getting overpowered...lax physical play to keep guys our of the crease....little shot blocking..all those requirements for reliable d-zone defending...instead unleash the Attack attributes he does have...let us see if his mobility speed and passing /shooting can be used to best effect without hurting the team defensively as it must be so considered..since they seem to have decided he is not a fit for either the 2nd pair ir 3rd pair d...even despite that +17 last year...

Great post 50. Always enjoy your posts, helps "newer" fans like me learn the sport.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
^Svedberg is actually decent defensively, but he either needs an ax to his minutes or more time in Rockford.

Rundblad is serviceable as a #7. They need to fill that hole on the second pairing, though.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think Svedberg has been decent most of the time, a few hiccups here and there, but I can see potential. The guys on NBC had good things to say about him last night, while pointing out the deficiencies. He needs to work the kinks out, and I think if he does, he can be a solid bottom pairing guy.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
As a jets fan I don't think we are keeping buff.

Buff at 50% (2.6 us 2.6 you guys)

For

Bickell 35% retained(cap hit is a wash)
Dano
Plus???

You guys move out 2.6 and get 2.6 back. You retain 1.4 next season too.

But buff is probably a lot more than you're looking for.

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
I think a smart move would be dangling Shaw+ for a real #5 with a year or two more on his contract.

That's assuming Bickell is a no go.

Dangling Shaw = dumb move

Assume Bickell is already gone, either accept a trade or ride the box lunch express outta Rockford.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
I'm fine with the D as long as TVR is playing well. Give Daley a chance to round into form while Sved and Rozy fight for the 6 spot and we can reevaluate things closer to the deadline. For now LW is the more urgent need as the the Toews line has shown next to nothing all year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm fine with the D as long as TVR is playing well. Give Daley a chance to round into form while Sved and Rozy fight for the 6 spot and we can reevaluate things closer to the deadline. For now LW is the more urgent need as the the Toews line has shown next to nothing all year.

That's not a result of the LW, that's a result of Jonathan Toews playing like **** thus far. And Hossa has been only slightly better, really.

He was a little better last game. Hopefully he gets back on track soon.

He's the engine that drives that line. You could stick Taylor Hall beside him and Hossa right now and it wouldn't lead to goals, simply because Toews needs to be going for that line to be going.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Why not try our current bottom 3 D-men for half a season* and see what you have?

* - assuming #5 & #6 are not costing us more than X games (where X is determined by the hockey operations guys)

So far, and it's admittedly a very small sample size, the bottom 3 haven't cost us any games (TVR looked SLOW against NYR, but he's noticeably swifter lately). They've been responsible for several goals, but the mainstays have had WTF moments too.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I wonder who they are looking to get.

What about Dan Hamhuis?

2-7
4-57
DH-6

Phanuef would be a long shot but if you could get Toronto to retain it our D would be interesting with him. (I know it won't happen but it is an interesting thought). How would we role pairings? You would have to assume Daley is going back.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Here we go again:

Source: Blackhawks pushing hard to acquire defenseman via trade
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-source-trade-talks-20151108-story.html

I don't get this want for a defenseman, now with Rundblad on the bench, unless Daley is part of the package going the other way. I think the forwards need upgrading before the defense.

My thought would be that they think Dano and the rest of the young guys will round into shape before playoffs.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I don't think we need another dman. Keith is nearing a return, Seabs and Hammer are solid as usual, TVR is shaping up to be a nice #4, Daley isn't as bad as he's made out to be, and Svedberg is reliable enough for a bottom pair.

Our defensive core is the best it's been since 2013 (when we had Leddy and a reliable Roszival as a third pair).

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I wonder who they are looking to get.

What about Dan Hamhuis?

2-7
4-57
DH-6

Phanuef would be a long shot but if you could get Toronto to retain it our D would be interesting with him. (I know it won't happen but it is an interesting thought). How would we role pairings? You would have to assume Daley is going back.

Don't think he would fit in with Q's system, he's soft like Svedberg, not very good defensively, the upside though he's good offensively but if this is what Q wanted he probably would have begged Stan Bo to keep Leddy. Or if he comes cheap?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
We need a top 6 forward... not a D, I dont understand how this will work unless Bickell is sent the other way. If Bickell is sent and they do get some one good, price is gonna be astronomical in terms of prospects or picks, which I dont really care about honestly, with the success of the hawks and the prospects being added from Europe and College we should be fine. If its pure D for D then Daley is gone and obviously some assets as well. It will be interesting, I just dont want to lose Dano, Kero, or TT. These guys have a future and will be cheap for the next couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00