News Article: Blackhawks seeking defenseman via trade

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-seeking-defenseman-trade-20151010-story.html

Every team could use some upgrade to their roster. But it's kinda surprising the Blackhawks are seeking defenseman via trade this early in the season. I like the current defense, except Rundblad and to a lesser extent Daley (who doesn't seem to have done a good job moving the puck on the No. 2 PP unit, nor playing well 5-on-5, in spite of his skating ability.) I don't mind seeing these two traded. I always like TVR's steady play. I like how Svedberg has come along in such a short amount of time. I'd hate to see either of these two moved for a new defenseman.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-seeking-defenseman-trade-20151010-story.html

Every team could use some upgrade to their roster. But it's kinda surprising the Blackhawks are seeking defenseman via trade this early in the season. I like the current defense, except Rundblad and to a lesser extent Daley (who doesn't seem to have done a good job moving the puck on the No. 2 PP unit, nor playing well 5-on-5, in spite of his skating ability.) I don't mind seeing these two traded. I always like TVR's steady play. I like how Svedberg has come along in such a short amount of time. I'd hate to see either of these two moved for a new defenseman.

The Hawks will not trade Daley, who Stan has had an admitted crush on for awhile. Plus he was the centerpiece coming back from Dallas in the Sharp trade. Oduya was a hot steaming pile of crap for the first few months he was here too.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Yeah, they're not trading Daley. He'll be fine.

After the PTOs and other trade rumors, this isn't all that surprising. They need an upgrade and experience for the bottom pairing. Hopefully something gets done.

I'm not really a fan of Svedberg, but I take him over Rundblad right now.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Daley was on the ice for all 4 Chicago goals tonight.

He was moving the puck just fine, LOL.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I think a smart move would be dangling Shaw+ for a real #5 with a year or two more on his contract.

That's assuming Bickell is a no go.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I didn't really have time to catch the Hawks pre-season in the way I would have liked to - how did TVR look? I'd heard he looked okay - but maybe not?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I didn't really have time to catch the Hawks pre-season in the way I would have liked to - how did TVR look? I'd heard he looked okay - but maybe not?

He looked not good, as he did through the first two games. Tonight was a huge improvement. Hopefully his trajectory this season keeps getting steeper.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Run bad played sheltered minutes against the other teams bottom 6. Don't compare Seabrook to TVR or Runbad

He's not taking that to say anything.. it's Fitty people have to somehow drill that point into the brain of but I don't see that ever happening.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Run bad played sheltered minutes against the other teams bottom 6. Don't compare Seabrook to TVR or Runbad

Very few bottom pairing defensemen DON'T play sheltered minutes. That's inherently why they are there in the first place.

While no one will say Rundblad is the 2nd coming, that +/- shows that he wasn't the hindrance many proclaim (such at BWC).

Surprisingly I thought Sved played really well last night against the Isles. If that is the norm and not the exception, I don't see much of a need to trade for a defenseman. Especially considering TVR played great (and Daley looked pretty good as well).

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Deal bickell and Dano for a defenseman.. Probably only way to bring one in.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Trading Dano would be incredibly stupid, and won't happen. You don't add Dano just to get rid of Bickell and/or to get a bottom pairing defenseman.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Yeah, Dano isn't getting traded. I'm guessing Bickell will be bought out next summer. He probably would have been bought out this past summer if not for his vertigo.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Deal bickell and Dano for a defenseman.. Probably only way to bring one in.

Uh, no...?

Andrew Shaw would draw a return. Even though I love Shawzie, i've come to terms that hes probably next on the chopping block. Shaw + a pick/prospect for a retained salary d-man would do it. I'm sure Hamhuis could be had out of Vancouver. Actually crunching the numbers, if we traded Shaw+ For Hamhuis at 50% gives us just enough cap room to make it work. I think Vancouver could flip Shaw at the deadline and probably get a good return for him in more picks.

Shaw + 2nd + McNeil for Hamhuis @ 50%? Value seem right on that? I'm basing that on the fact that I think Hamhuis is probably worth a first and a prospect at the deadline. Seeing as we need them to retain, the price goes up. I dont really think McNeil is ever going to have a place on this team and will more than likely be traded at some point anyway. Really the only thing I dont like losing in this trade is Shaw. I just really dont see how we can make a deal for a worthy defensman without Shaw being involved (Bickell for Nikitan...ugh). I'm not terribly worried about giving up futures as I'm all about maximizing this core. I think Hamhuis would be a solid add for this team and would make me feel really comfortable about the defense and this team going in to the playoffs, rather than doing what we did last year and going for a lower end option and hoping for the best.

What do you guys think? Just something I threw together off the top of my head here...

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Uh, no...?

Andrew Shaw would draw a return. Even though I love Shawzie, i've come to terms that hes probably next on the chopping block. Shaw + a pick/prospect for a retained salary d-man would do it. I'm sure Hamhuis could be had out of Vancouver. Actually crunching the numbers, if we traded Shaw+ For Hamhuis at 50% gives us just enough cap room to make it work. I think Vancouver could flip Shaw at the deadline and probably get a good return for him in more picks.

Shaw + 2nd + McNeil for Hamhuis @ 50%? Value seem right on that? I'm basing that on the fact that I think Hamhuis is probably worth a first and a prospect at the deadline. Seeing as we need them to retain, the price goes up. I dont really think McNeil is ever going to have a place on this team and will more than likely be traded at some point anyway. Really the only thing I dont like losing in this trade is Shaw. I just really dont see how we can make a deal for a worthy defensman without Shaw being involved (Bickell for Nikitan...ugh). I'm not terribly worried about giving up futures as I'm all about maximizing this core. I think Hamhuis would be a solid add for this team and would make me feel really comfortable about the defense and this team going in to the playoffs, rather than doing what we did last year and going for a lower end option and hoping for the best.

What do you guys think? Just something I threw together off the top of my head here...

What 2nd's do we even have left? I can't remember exactly. Didn't we give up two for Timonen?

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Yes, but there's the 2017 2nd. They can always add a lesser pick/prospect to make up for it.

The 2016 2nd is gone from the Timonen trade.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'd rather wait it out as of now and see what I have in TVR, Svedberg and possibly Pokka.

Rozi will come back at some Point.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The bigger need right now is a scoring LW for line #1....Rozsival is the vet D-man depth for spelling off TVR as 3rd pair RD if TVR does not maintain the level they expect or needs some rest at certain points in the season...Svedberg is fine playing 2nd pair LD as long as they understand he is strictly a defensive dman and not point producer...Keith and Dailey are supposed to supply the points offensively...if they do not blame them not Svedberg...But as I said many times already in posts...opponents score very little on us when Svedberg is on...even though his Cors may not be what you want from a 2nd pair dman...he blocks shots. .uses the long stick to bust up passing g through Kane's. ..provides god positioning and moves guys off pucks albeit not looking nasty while doing it...the size reach and long stick all help defend the crease area..What he does well he does well but if you want a better offensive guy then that is one thing...if you want more experience just for experience with no real effective 2 -way benefits...that is plain stupid....Timonen had experience but his play was a dud...so do not give me we need experience...State it honestly...if a Dman can prevent goals as well as Svedberg does AND also produce significantly more points...then get that guy if you you can...But at what cap hit and who needs to be traded..to get a really good 2-way 2nd pair minutes guy ? AND such e emplars if experienced are usually at a good oay level already...So I do not see the need for doing this ...Maybe they think we are more potent if we beat teams 5-3 instead of 3-2 or 4-1? BUT we were not the top offensive team last year either...we won by keeping pucks out and scoring enough go win a lot of close games...The eed to me is more dire on line #1 at LW ...we're are unbalanced because we have so many 3rd and 4th line wingers and you cannot plug any of them uine to line #1 and really get the scoring required there..This means either solve from within...by recalling Dano or Hinostrozza for scoring talent OR trade one of the bottom 2 line winger parts for a #1 line LW candidate who can help line #1 score more..

Another idea to solve this might be to move Rundblad...yes him...to the #1 line LW ...yes make him a winger...he can skate and attacks well with the puck and if defensive zone reads and not being good at knocking guys off pucks are his big flaws then do not risk those. ..instead as a winger he would have much simpler defensive duties and could carry pucks and shoot and pass more on the Attack ...which are his strengths...make him a winger...they did that many years ago with Doug Mohns who was a good D-man ...but the conversion to LW worked out great in that case..My hunch is it would work well here and now with Rundblad. ..Make him a winger and use his best attributes...skating
..passing and shooting and hide his flaws...reading d-zone plays/awareness...getting overpowered...lax physical play to keep guys our of the crease....little shot blocking..all those requirements for reliable d-zone defending...instead unleash the Attack attributes he does have...let us see if his mobility speed and passing /shooting can be used to best effect without hurting the team defensively as it must be so considered..since they seem to have decided he is not a fit for either the 2nd pair ir 3rd pair d...even despite that +17 last year...

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
^ Since when is skating one of Rundblad's strong attributes?

Yeah, I'm not sure Rundblad is that good of a skater - I'd say adequate at best. But fiddy is correct when he states his best attributes are on the offensive side of the puck. The only fly in the ointment there is that 1LW needs to complement the play of Toews and Hossa which means he needs to battle for pucks and win board battles so that line can play their possession/cycle game. TT didn't work out at 1LW for that reason and it's why Garbutt looked like the best option for 1LW last game. Rundblad won't engage physically, at least not to the extent that he's worth a roster spot - be it as a d-man or a forward.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
The dream scenario for me would be Bickell + 1st + whatever middle prospect for Soupy at 50%. Realistically though I am guessing the target is someone more like Schlemko or Wiercioch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad