Speculation: Blackhawks Restricted Free Agents

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That depends if Bickell next season will be on the first line with Toews and Kane or on the third line with Shaw and Morin/Hayes/Smith.

If you don't pay fourth liners 2.3 you don't pay third liners 4 million.

And yes, Frolik was absolutely expected to play a scoring role for us. On my phone but I'll find proof when I get home if I must.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
maybe he is more than a 4th liner and wants a bigger role on the roster? Maybe he wants to be more of an offensiv guy paired with D than just a D forward?

out of the C prospects you listed, not even 1 is on the same level as Krüger is YET

It's hard to tell what level they'd be at on the NHL level or whether they'd be able to replace Kruger. If he's asking too much then let him sit (or trade him), see how the young guys do in training camp, play whoever seems ready - and if no one is ready then go sign an aging vet (you know how Q loves those guys) to fill or share the role.

SLarmer28*

And yes, Frolik was absolutely expected to play a scoring role for us. On my phone but I'll find proof when I get home if I must.
During the 2011-12 NHL Season, Frolik was also on the third line with Bolland and Bickell. Furthermore, both Bickell and Frolik were benched at times during the regular season in favor of Hayes and Shaw. Frolik was benched at the start of the 2011-12 NHL Playoffs in favor of Shaw as the third line right winger. Only until Shaw was suspended for running into goaltender Mike Smith in the Phoenix Coyotes playoff series was Michael Frolik reinserted into the third line right wing role.

SLarmer28*

Who is to say that Bickell won't be the first line left winger next season? Are you coach Q?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
During the 2011-12 NHL Season, Frolik was also on the third line with Bolland and Bickell. Furthermore, both Bickell and Frolik were benched at times during the regular season in favor of Hayes and Shaw. Frolik was benched at the start of the 2011-12 NHL Playoffs in favor of Shaw as the third line right winger. Only until Shaw was suspended for running into goaltender Mike Smith in the Phoenix Coyotes playoff series was Michael Frolik reinserted into the third line right wing role.

Frolik was signed before the 2011 season right?

SLarmer28*

That was the mistake. You pay for what they are....not on expectations or projections. Hope he learned his lesson.
It speaks volumes that the Chicago Blackhawks organization would rather finalize a contract to a veteran backup goaltender than a fourth line center.

SLarmer28*

Frolik was signed in summer of 2011 after a decent playoffs against VC. Didn't work out until his role was reduced. He couldn't score a goal to save his life the next season.
Frolik went from third line right winger during the 2011-12 NHL Season to fourth line right winger during the 2012-13 NHL Season.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
What does that have to do where Frolik was slotted during the 2010-11 NHL Playoffs?

Nothing, which is weird because you are the only one talking about it. Frolik was supposed to be a supporting piece in our top six going into the 2011-2012 season. That's why he was paid what he was paid.

It didn't work out as planned, but Bowman certainly didn't sign Frolik to be a 4th line Pk ace.

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
Why are guys wondering who will be where. And make some suggestions on the lines.

Sharp- Toews- Hossa

Bickell- Handzus- Kane

Saad- Pirri- Shaw

Carcillo- Kruger- Smith

Extra: Bollig, Hayes,

D:

Keith- Seabrook

Leddy- Hjalmarsson

Oduya- Rozsival

G:

Crawford
=
Khabibulin

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Why are guys wondering who will be where. And make some suggestions on the lines.

Sharp- Toews- Hossa

Bickell- Handzus- Kane

Saad- Pirri- Shaw

Carcillo- Kruger- Smith

D:

Keith- Seabrook

Leddy- Hjalmarsson

Oduya- Rozsival

G:

Crawford
=
Khabibulin

Would rather see something like

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Pirri - Hossa
Saad - Kruger - Shaw
Morin - Handzus - Smith

Bollig, Carcillo

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Pirri - Hossa
Saad - Kruger - Shaw
Morin - Handzus - Smith

Bollig, Carcillo

I don't see Morin coming straight in the NHL next season. Maybe he will play a few games in Rockford and get a call up. And i think Toews has better chemistry with Hossa.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
I don't see Morin coming straight in the NHL next season. Maybe he will play a few games in Rockford and get a call up. And i think Toews has better chemistry with Hossa.

No two fowards on the roster play better together than Toews and Kane.

Morin's in a group of several prospects who will battle to make the team out of camp next season. If he's better than them (Smith, Hayes, etc.), he'll be in the lineup for opening night.

SLarmer28*

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Pirri - Hossa
Saad - Kruger - Shaw
Morin - Handzus - Smith

Bollig, Carcillo
For the regular season, the Chicago Blackhawks will most likely ice an enforcer (team cop) on the fourth line:

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Pirri - Hossa
Saad - Shaw - Morin
Bollig/Carcillo - Kruger - Smith
Handzus

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Nothing, which is weird because you are the only one talking about it. Frolik was supposed to be a supporting piece in our top six going into the 2011-2012 season. That's why he was paid what he was paid.

It didn't work out as planned, but Bowman certainly didn't sign Frolik to be a 4th line Pk ace.

I don't know how anyone can say Disgruntled is wrong on this.

No matter how Frolik ended up, Bowman wasn't envisioning that when he handed him his contract. It worked out differently...but Bowman didn't make an active choice at the time to overpay a 4th liner.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL

Sharp- Toews- Hossa

Bickell- Handzus- Kane

Saad- Pirri- Shaw

Carcillo- Kruger- Smith

D:

Keith- Seabrook

Leddy- Hjalmarsson

Oduya- Rozsival

G:

Crawford
=
Khabibulin

Keep Toews and Kane on the same line together, making babies happen, and Blues fans dreams die

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
He had his chance at an offensive role and was awful. He played a defensive role and look how that turned out.

Who cares what he wants to play?
that was like 1 1/2 years ago... you know that this is a lot of time in development for young players.

I'm pretty sure he cares about his role going forward. Pretty sure they are talking about the role too. Think the talks are between 1.2 and 1.7

That was the mistake. You pay for what they are....not on expectations or projections. Hope he learned his lesson.
you pay for what will happen in the future - based on what you have done before.
It speaks volumes that the Chicago Blackhawks organization would rather finalize a contract to a veteran backup goaltender than a fourth line center.

You know a difference between UFA and RFA, don't you?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

I don't know how anyone can say Disgruntled is wrong on this.

No matter how Frolik ended up, Bowman wasn't envisioning that when he handed him his contract. It worked out differently...but Bowman didn't make an active choice at the time to overpay a 4th liner.

The problem is that some had more accurate assessments of Frolik and knew he wasn't going to be top 6 before the deal was inked. That was the mistake Stan made, overestimating Frolik's ability.

Not a disaster, just a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad