GDT: Blackhawks @ Predators - 7:00CT NBCSCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So Kalynuk must have gotten injured early...
He pjayedvonly 1:42.

I did not realize we played almost the entire game with only 5D...

Obviously our vetscon D could not handle tge workload.

It must have been an injury...sure JC woukd not bench Kalynuk ...who has played well..to give any extra time to tgecsorry lot of the rest ifcthw "experienced" dmen?

JC could not be that stupid.

It must have been an injury very early..

In which case you might make excuses forvourcD...but good Dcorps vets resection the challenge when faced with a man down...our vet dmen collapsed into putridness

DesperateBeliever

Jun 16, 2019
So Kalynuk must have gotten injured early...
He pjayedvonly 1:42.

I did not realize we played almost the entire game with only 5D...

Obviously our vetscon D could not handle tge workload.

It must have been an injury...sure JC woukd not bench Kalynuk ...who has played well..to give any extra time to tgecsorry lot of the rest ifcthw "experienced" dmen?

JC could not be that stupid.

It must have been an injury very early..

In which case you might make excuses forvourcD...but good Dcorps vets resection the challenge when faced with a man down...our vet dmen collapsed into putridness
He was injured on his second shift according to one of the beat reporters.

Many posters noted he was injured.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Some ****ing amateur hour plays and defense out there tonight. Outside that, when they turn it up they turn it up but there's no catching up easily against the Preds who make life much harder between their dots and make way less mistakes despite the fact they're full of some no-names themselves.

I don't know what to say. No fire on that bench and too much inconsistency. It's been like this for years now.

I feel like they're just riding the season out and they know it. Still had fun at the game regardless but it just confirmed things I/we have been seeing for too long now.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sorry.. I missed the first half of the first period so did notcsee Jakynuk get injured.

Itvus tough to pkay only 5D..but hood teams find axwY and rise to the man down...thisvis nit a goidcteam...so they failed torise....etc...

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Going to be extremely hard to get to 11th. Would almost have to lose out
With the Coyotes having forfeited their pick, the Hawks are slotted at #12. Getting to # 11 should not be too hard but getting to # 8 would be difficult. That's where the talent starts a decline.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So they get 3 goals off turnovers...plus the Murphy off because he list helmet goal and tge double deflection goal.. plusxwe luse Kalynuk to injury...when tge hickey gods want to rub it in to us,tgey sure know how to make us suffer watching this horror show.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It is interesting that pkaying on a team tgat is far worse than the Hawjs (Buffalo) a certain young dman is only -4 while on the better team *Chicago) a grizzled ober tge hill Dman is tgecsame -4..

So at evens you gove the nod to HJ over Keith because his -4 is earbed on a far worse team....Keith ought to recognize it is tome to retire.. HJ will see better days at sone pint...Keith probably only gets worse and tge Hawks may be worse bextcsesdon of we still are pkaying tge vets we have on this d-coros.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
The funny thing is the Preds making this run is the worst thing that can happen to that franchise

It bought a very mediocre coach and a GM that should be shown the door in Poile more time to make a mess and waste that brilliant trio of D they have

By the time someone competant gets in there the D core will be going the way ours did in about 2017/18

They needed to trade Ekholm and tear it down. Can Hynes and Poile and they could have retooled. Instead it's gonna be alot of pain in the next 3-5 years with Johansen and Duchene being complete plugs unless they can get both back on track

As much as this hurts us now, the pain for Preds fans will last much longer. That core has no cups to show for anything. They can hang all the division champ banners they want
That's *Regular Season Western Conference* champs to you, sir :laugh:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawjs now only 4 goals against better than Detroit who might end up with a better goals against total than JC's club..which Should het JC fired...

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Welp, then if we fall out the playoffs, he can't complain about his minutes being cut in favour of the kids because he had the chance to get the team over the hump and couldn't do it. And I don't blame him for getting older, but I don't want to hear any locker room shenanigans if his minutes are cut or god forbid he gets healthy scratched.

Doesnt need to be scratched but he needs his minutes and role reduced significantly.

It would do wonder for our core if he could anchor a second or third pair, instead of being relied on like it's 2015.

Reactions: nmgrbhfn

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I know that it's somewhat taboo to say this here, even though this far into his time here it shouldn't be, but if I'm the Hawks, I'm looking at other potential head coaches this off-season.

No, this loss isn't on Colliton. But the shine that he had for a month in February has come completely off. Sure, March was a tough month. And yeah, we have a lot of kids.

But I don't see anything right now about this guy being someone who can get the most out of the team. We're bottom 10 in SOG, and 2nd worst for SOG against. Our PK is 27th, and while our PP is 7th, it's tied for 2nd (along with 5 other squads) for giving up shorties.

Nothing this team has shown lends itself to long term success. Getting out-possessed most nights isn't going to win you games.

Again, not saying they have to fire him. But if I were the Hawks, I'd at least look around, see if there is a fit with anyone out there (Gallant, please!).

And yes, I know we're in a "rebuild"; winning isn't super important. But the org has already made it clear that what they mean by that is they want to give young guys a bigger role. They aren't actively trying to sabotage their season; they aren't keeping a lot of their kids in the AHL this year like what LA is doing with Byfield, Turcotte, and Kalieyev. They still want to win, and I don't think Colliton is the right guy to do that long term.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know that it's somewhat taboo to say this here, even though this far into his time here it shouldn't be, but if I'm the Hawks, I'm looking at other potential head coaches this off-season.

No, this loss isn't on Colliton. But the shine that he had for a month in February has come completely off. Sure, March was a tough month. And yeah, we have a lot of kids.

But I don't see anything right now about this guy being someone who can get the most out of the team. We're bottom 10 in SOG, and 2nd worst for SOG against. Our PK is 27th, and while our PP is 7th, it's tied for 2nd (along with 5 other squads) for giving up shorties.

Nothing this team has shown lends itself to long term success. Getting out-possessed most nights isn't going to win you games.

Again, not saying they have to fire him. But if I were the Hawks, I'd at least look around, see if there is a fit with anyone out there (Gallant, please!).

And yes, I know we're in a "rebuild"; winning isn't super important. But the org has already made it clear that what they mean by that is they want to give young guys a bigger role. They aren't actively trying to sabotage their season; they aren't keeping a lot of their kids in the AHL this year like what LA is doing with Byfield, Turcotte, and Kalieyev. They still want to win, and I don't think Colliton is the right guy to do that long term.

I think the difference here is....the Hawks don't have a great AHL org. Rockford is shit right now. That should change with them purchasing the team.

Reactions: nmgrbhfn

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I think the difference here is....the Hawks don't have a great AHL org. Rockford is shit right now. That should change with them purchasing the team.
While I can understand not wanting a young kid stuck with Derek King, if the Hawks felt that was an issue, they wouldn't have kept him there this year.

They want a quick turnaround. They don't want to languish in mediocrity for years. Them playing the kids, and trading for 20 something year olds who have unrealized potential (Z, Nylander, Borgstrom) instead of picks is evidence of that.

And if they want to start getting serious about making the playoffs in the next season or two when all these kids are starting to hit their strides, then I don't think Colliton should be their guy.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018

Agreed. He's clearly a Denis Savard. Once another Q level coach that fits what we want to do is available, we gotta make a move. This is his third year and I just don't see him ever getting this team to be a good defensive team.

I don't see us moving on this year. But I would pull trigger

We will never be better than mediocre with him as a coach

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
The Hawks are who we thought they were.
Win the next 2 vs Preds or no chance at a playoff spot.
Unfortunate season but should be expected, trim the fat and school the youngins.
Hawks are building for the future.

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
Nashville are our boogey team but we made it real easy for them.

Brutal play on the goals against, Keith, De hann just horrible. And Zadorov who I disliked at the start of the season has fallen back into the horrible group.

Kane has been rather invisible, Dach pretty pointless, Strome is horrible...

Bright spots, Dcat still works and tries hard, Carpenter...decent PK...

What is frustrating is that we probably would have been happy with finishing 6th and hanging onto a play off spot for so long but it feels like lately we have been just making it easy for teams.

So What does finishing about Jackets and Wings do to draft? We are not going to beat Nashville 2/2 and Dallas will keep picking up points, good fun at parts on a season which looked really grim but we ain't making the playoffs.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I now think that this team will 100% miss the playoffs.

They can't beat Nashville.

If they (Hawks) somehow make the playoffs, they're likely gone in 4, maybe 5 (if it's best of 7) or 3, maybe 4 (if it's best of 5).

They were fun at times this season but seem to have plummeted back to Earth.:shakehead

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Also, has anyone else noticed that the PP system has basically gone back to its old ways hence why the productivity has fallen so drastically?

They're back to way too much standing around and perimeter play, basically back to having to benefit from a lucky bounce or deflection to score on the powerplay. Shots from either side of the blue line through heavy traffic with nobody moving to cause lanes to open up for shots or passes to go through.

Very frustrating.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

agreed. For me it’s about D systems (and by extension, pk). Hawks swap out d men left and right and we still see the same issues under him.

terrible d zone exits, complete failures in coverage, horrendous d zone turnovers. And it’s not just the d. In the last couple of weeks we’ve see zadorov, DeHaan, Mitchell, Murphy and Keith serve up
Pizzas in the d zone that resulted in goals but we’ve also seen Dach and Kampf do it

compare that to other teams. Look at the zadorov failed coverage on the second goal. One pred behind the net holding the puck. Another pred slides in and gets an easy shot right in front of the net.

have the Hawks scored a 5:5 goal like that this season? Have you seen other teams make that same mistake? I haven’t

and we are seeing it night in and night out. Total defensive failures regardless of the players on the ice.

that is on coaching and it must be changed

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
With the Coyotes having forfeited their pick, the Hawks are slotted at #12. Getting to # 11 should not be too hard but getting to # 8 would be difficult. That's where the talent starts a decline.

Hawks have 6 more points than San Jose and Calgary and 10 more than Vancouver (8 games in hand). Vancouver maybe can catch the Hawks but having to play so many games in such a short time period I wouldn’t count on it

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Nashville are our boogey team but we made it real easy for them.

Brutal play on the goals against, Keith, De hann just horrible. And Zadorov who I disliked at the start of the season has fallen back into the horrible group.

Kane has been rather invisible, Dach pretty pointless, Strome is horrible...

Bright spots, Dcat still works and tries hard, Carpenter...decent PK...

What is frustrating is that we probably would have been happy with finishing 6th and hanging onto a play off spot for so long but it feels like lately we have been just making it easy for teams.

So What does finishing about Jackets and Wings do to draft? We are not going to beat Nashville 2/2 and Dallas will keep picking up points, good fun at parts on a season which looked really grim but we ain't making the playoffs.

yep. Kane looks disinterested most nights. Dach is young and obviously coming back from injury but I’m just seeing anything special from him. I see him trying to create but it typically doesn’t work.

strome is completely worthless. As in literally. Has absolutely no worth to this team.

Kubalik and Suter have been mia. Kurashev battles but he’s cooled off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad