Blackhawks/NBC color commentator Eddie Olczyk diagnosed with colon cancer (upd: officially beat it!)

Sep 19, 2008
Very sad news to hear. Hopefully he will get through this. Always was a fan of his broadcasting work.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This. Especially if it runs in your family. Genetic predisposition means get checked early and regularly.

Eeeeyep. I had to start in my mid-20s because of family history. My mother and I like to refer to those screenings (and the prep for them) as our "Proud Annual Family Tradition". ;)

Hopefully all goes well for Eddie O.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Catching it early generally refers to what stage the cancer is at rather than the age of the person. Though a younger person can likely withstand more agressive procedures (surgeries) than an elderly one.

Sorry I made a typo, I didn't mean age, I meant how does treatment differ as to being caught at early stage rather than a bit later stage? Wonder what kind of treatments are available at an early stage for something like this.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Goes to show you, the guy looks really young and healthy for his age. It can happen to anyone.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Eddie was a favourite of mine growing up a Leaf fan, and always liked him when he played for other teams afterwards. Wishing him all the best in his recovery and hopefully they diagnosed it early

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sorry I made a typo, I didn't mean age, I meant how does treatment differ as to being caught at early stage rather than a bit later stage? Wonder what kind of treatments are available at an early stage for something like this.

There are basically mainly 3 types of treatments (with variations) usually used in conjunction. Radiation, Chemo and surgery. Radiation is used to either shrink a tumor and/or kill any remaining cancer cells after surgical removal in the affected area. Chemo is typically used to kill any remaining cancer cells and to make sure it hasn't/doesn't spread to other parts of the body. Surgery is used to remove any cancerous cells / tumors.

By catching it early, the same types of treatments are typically used, but the area of treatment is confined (sometimes, surgery isn't even needed even though it's the most effective method) so less of the colon is impacted (and in some surgical cases removed) and the risk of it spreading to other parts of the body is less. So basically, catching it early means less radiation, less chemo, less impact of surgery and less of a chance of it spreading. Hopefully with Eddie they found it early because chances of survival is much higher and the treatments will be less severe.

My wife's cousin, who is in his 30s is was just recently diagnosed and is going through chemo and radiation in hopes that he doesn't need surgery, but he said there's maybe a 25% change he won't need it. The radiation and chemo is really taking a toll on him though.

My wife and I just recently got our colonoscopies. The procedure itself was a breeze. The knocked me out and the next thing I know I'm waking up in bed after a good nap. The prep though, man, that sucked. The stuff they give you to "cleanse" is god awful and it works as advertised.

FirewagonChange

Oct 8, 2014
I remember seeing him doing some commentary at the Belmont Stakes and he was profusely sweating and looked tired. Didn't think much of it until I heard this news.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
There are basically mainly 3 types of treatments (with variations) usually used in conjunction. Radiation, Chemo and surgery. Radiation is used to either shrink a tumor and/or kill any remaining cancer cells after surgical removal in the affected area. Chemo is typically used to kill any remaining cancer cells and to make sure it hasn't/doesn't spread to other parts of the body. Surgery is used to remove any cancerous cells / tumors.

By catching it early, the same types of treatments are typically used, but the area of treatment is confined (sometimes, surgery isn't even needed even though it's the most effective method) so less of the colon is impacted (and in some surgical cases removed) and the risk of it spreading to other parts of the body is less. So basically, catching it early means less radiation, less chemo, less impact of surgery and less of a chance of it spreading. Hopefully with Eddie they found it early because chances of survival is much higher and the treatments will be less severe.

My wife's cousin, who is in his 30s is was just recently diagnosed and is going through chemo and radiation in hopes that he doesn't need surgery, but he said there's maybe a 25% change he won't need it. The radiation and chemo is really taking a toll on him though.

My wife and I just recently got our colonoscopies. The procedure itself was a breeze. The knocked me out and the next thing I know I'm waking up in bed after a good nap. The prep though, man, that sucked. The stuff they give you to "cleanse" is god awful and it works as advertised.

Damn man, that's crazy. Thanks for long response, very insightful. Luckily for me, I haven't had many people in my life whove had cancer so I didn't know much about the different protocols and stages. I very much appreciate it. Hope he's okay, hope for great health for you and your loved ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad