Value of: Blackhawks moving on from Kane/Toews

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't think they will be moved too but you never know. There's still a slim chance it ever happens and just for fun I'm going to put up an offer from Montreal for Toews:

To Chicago:

Karl Alzner (4.65M for this year + 3 more)
Andrew Shaw (3.9M for this year + 3 more)
Ryan Poehling (Unsigned - 19 years old)
2019 Habs 1st round pick (unprotected)
2019 CLB 2nd round pick
Conditional 2020 Montreal 2nd round pick (Montreal advance to the 3rd round in either 2019 or 2020 - Otherwise it turns into a 2020 4th)
Michael McCarron (RFA at the end of the year)

To Montreal:

Jonathan Toews (10.5M - this year + 4 more)

Montreal money out: 8.55M
Chicago money out: 10.5M

The two key pieces for Chicago are Poehling and Montreal's 1st. Poehling is already in his D+2 so he's further down on his development and is considered to be a lock to become an NHL C - Probably a middle 6 two-way C. With Chicago 2019 1st (and the likelihood that they draft a top C) and Poehling, Chicago will be well taken care of down the middle. The extra 1st, mostly a mid 1st round pick, let me pick another solid asset.

I included Alzner and Shaw for money reasons as Montreal can't take on 10.5M without something going back. Shaw can be sold later on for value as well.
Would do it as a habs fan, but only if that 1st pick is top 10 protected. If it's a top 10 pick this year + Poehling + 2nd + the potential for another second and whatever they can get for shaw... I think we are getting screwed.

For a pick in the 15 range I think it's a fair trade.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
So again they are playing pond hockey

Team is not trying as a group

Toews doesnt make mistakes like that... its just lack of team support imo

Seabrook is definitely slowing down

Not sure also what is going on with Keith

Sure if the Hawks want to have a firesale... there will have a lineup of interest. But the owner/gm wont let in happen

Hawks at this rate is on their way to have a shot at Hughes

you are correct and T&K aren't the issue. Keith has definitely declined a bit but Seabrook cannot not be used as a top 4 which what is happening currently and Seabrook and Manning together smells of tank.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Would do it as a habs fan, but only if that 1st pick is top 10 protected. If it's a top 10 pick this year + Poehling + 2nd + the potential for another second and whatever they can get for shaw... I think we are getting screwed.

For a pick in the 15 range I think it's a fair trade.

With the addition of Toews at the moment without taking anything significant from our lineup pretty guarantee us a wild card spot. That would allow us to put Domi back at wing and someone to take on Danault current spot in the lineup. I could see something like:

Tatar - Toews - Gallagher
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Drouin
Lehkonen - Danault - Armia
Byron - Chaput - Whatever

Toews would be an enormous add for us. He's basically only -3 on a -30ish team and is on pace for around 65 points this year. Add to that his defensive and FO ability and this change the look of our franchise for the next 4-5 years minimum while Price/Weber are still in their prime and Gallagher/Drouin on a cheap contract.

We still would have Mete/Brook/Suzuki/Fleury coming up and contributing on ELC within that time-frame. Also, for Kotkaniemi to have a guy like Toews as a mentor would be huge for his career.

Reactions: jfhabs

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
On behalf of Bruins fans, I’d like to apologize for this offer
Apologize for yourself, Keith is a declining 35 year old defenseman with a huge contract. Chicago needs to get their cap in order so young players are a must . maybe the proposal is not the best but it is a foundation for chicago to get started........

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
What would it have to take for the Blackhawks to consider moving on from one of these 2? Obviously they'd have to retain a considerable amount of salary in any deal. However, it's not like either of them are 35 years old. They still have some pretty good years left and the return could really accelerate a rebuild.

It seems like due to the 3 cups, they are almost bound to be lifetime Blackhawks unless one of them goes to management and asks for a change of scenery.

Nope, pass.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Trading Kane/Toews would be PR disaster for franchise that spent decade + distancing itself from the Bill Wirtz era that drove fans away

Trading the faces of franchise would bring back memories of how Dollar Bill treated past stars and ensure a major backlash from older fans not to mention alienating the generation of fans they rebuilt

There was a lost generation of young fans who grew up watching Wolves or not caring about hockey because of actions of Wirtz Sr. Rocky will not be looking to make similar mistake

Kane and Toews are Hawks for life unless they ask out. Same with Keith

I cant emphasis enough how much it would hurt credibility of Chicago Blackhawks to trade them

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
^. This

The Hawks had a very good team with popular personalities like Roenick, Belfour, Chelios, etc.
Wirtz got rid of them. The fans left along with ‘em.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad