Friedman: Blackhawks list of untouchable players

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
I disagree with your point that toews is a 1c. Ever since he got his big payday he regressed. This year 4 years later he finally finds the fountain of youth ?

I think the message was clear to toews not being on the all star team he isn't the same player anymore.
You can’t possibly be watching this season.

Reactions: thesaadfather

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
If possible, within reason, what would the Hawks want for Seabrook? He's old, but is a RHD.. something we still could use even with Muzzin now in the fold.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If possible, within reason, what would the Hawks want for Seabrook? He's old, but is a RHD.. something we still could use even with Muzzin now in the fold.
Don't you even think about it! Don't go there...nuh uh!! In the words of the great Ross Perot "Not gonna do it".

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
UNTOUCHABLE
Kane - 10.5 (4 more years) NMC
Toews - 10.5 (4 more years) NMC

DIFFICULT TO MOVE

Seabrook - 6.875 (5 more years) NMC
Keith - 5.3(4 more years) NMC

UNLIKELY TO MOVE
DeBrincat - 1 more RFA year.
Strome - 1 more RFA year.
Jokiharju - 2 more RFA years.

BEST TO SELL
Saad - 6 (2 more years)
Anisimov - 4.5 (2 more years) M-NTC
Murphy - 3.8 (3 more years)
Gustafsson - 1.2 (1 more)
Kruger - 2.77

-----

Realisitcally, Chicago is in a tough situation. But, it's the cost of their wicked cup runs, and wins. I'm sure they'll turn it around in a bit, but with those assets, Saad is the meal ticket that's probably going to net them the biggest return without selling their youth. Maybe they sell DeBrincat? But that seems unlikely. Perhaps other Blackhawks fans can enlighten whether there would be other young players unlikely to be traded.

Alot if it will depend on where they draft. If you're getting a guy like Jack Hughes or Kakko, you might hold off on dealing Keith because you can re-tool quick.

Also, looks like Chicago has cleared a significant amount of cap, what if they sign a guy like Panarin? Could be a quick turnaround here.

If neither of those happen maybe they move off Keith simply for cap space + futures

The return won't be significant though due to his age and declining production

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't think Blackhawks are impossible to fix. Assuming they get a top 2 pick this year, they have a 2c next year. Toews is only 30, he's got a lot of good hockey in him still. The forwards are only a Kaapo/Hughes and some tweaks away from being competitive.

The d is a bit of a dumpster fire at this point (especially with age) but I like Boqvist and Entwistle (edit: I meant Beaudin) If they can add 1 more solid piece there them it may be usable. Cap will be the issue for sure but it's not impossible.

DeBrincat - Toews - Kane
Anismov - Hughes/Kaapo - Saad
Step forwards from Strom, Kahun, Kampf, Perlini
Entwistle makes the team

On D
Keith - Boqvist
Jokiharu - Seabrook (until replaced with a better option)
Beaudin - player of the moment

I could see their retool being quick, they might feel Toews and Kane can carry them to another cup. Doesn't seem like they have another cup run in this roster but I can see them trying for a quick retool.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
why are kane and toews untouchable?

Chicago isn't going anywhere for a while. Retain some $$$ on them and send them packing for some nice assets.

Cuz they make 2 much... Teams that would be interested or kane or toews would be interested in playing for.. 1. They aren't good 2. The teams they would likely play for aren't gutting their good team for a 10.5 million dollar cap hit

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

Chicago isn't going anywhere for a while. Retain some $$$ on them and send them packing for some nice assets.
It is a one two punch of their NMC's and their cap hits. Any team that would want them and could fit them is not going to be a good enough team for them to be willing to waive their NMC's. Any team they'd be willing to waive for, contenders or near contenders, can not fit their cap hits without performing some gutting. So why theoretically you are correct. Those two simply are essentially unmovable, hence untouchable.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Cuz they make 2 much... Teams that would be interested or kane or toews would be interested in playing for.. 1. They aren't good 2. The teams they would likely play for aren't gutting their good team for a 10.5 million dollar cap hit

They don’t make too much. Its not 2013 anymore. Kane at 10.5 per for 110pt+ is a steal.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
hah on second thought, what's Duncan Keith worth..? lefty with miles but with Gus the man over there, probably still has something left in the tank for a playoff run
A playoff run...sure, but he's signed for 5 more years....

gach

Aug 2, 2018

Good teams are mostly up against the cap and bottom teams are rebuilding and don't want older very very expensive players. They might be able to trade Kane but fans would go crazy and season ticket holders do need someone to watch that is still good during the rebuild

Reactions: JetBlue420

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I think Keith would return as much or more than Muzzin, for sure, if dealt
Keith can be traded in a millisecond. You don't get that caliber dman on his cap hit anymore, even if he's on the decline.
Nuthin against the guy, but I honestly wonder if there's any 'interest' in a 35 yr old who's in decline with a cap hit of $5.5 million per year for another 4 years after this?

If so - I don't think he'll command as much as Muzzin.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
I don't think Blackhawks are impossible to fix. Assuming they get a top 2 pick this year, they have a 2c next year. Toews is only 30, he's got a lot of good hockey in him still. The forwards are only a Kaapo/Hughes and some tweaks away from being competitive.

The d is a bit of a dumpster fire at this point (especially with age) but I like Boqvist and Entwistle (edit: I meant Beaudin) If they can add 1 more solid piece there them it may be usable. Cap will be the issue for sure but it's not impossible.

DeBrincat - Toews - Kane
Anismov - Hughes/Kaapo - Saad
Step forwards from Strom, Kahun, Kampf, Perlini
Entwistle makes the team

On D
Keith - Boqvist
Jokiharu - Seabrook (until replaced with a better option)
Beaudin - player of the moment

I could see their retool being quick, they might feel Toews and Kane can carry them to another cup. Doesn't seem like they have another cup run in this roster but I can see them trying for a quick retool.

Also, they have nearly ~$23m in cap space depending on what the cap goes up to. Could easily sign a Panarin...just sayin

Main issue will be Craw, who knows if he can ever play again or be back for next year

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
You obviously can't read ! If your going to comment you should first learn how to read and comprehend .
Most times, people who pull the "you have no reading comprehension" card can't express their ideas clearly enough to be understood. You said Toews wasn't a 1C and has regressed since his big pay day. Now, either you were wrong or you didn't say what you meant to say.
I disagree with your point that toews is a 1c. Ever since he got his big payday he regressed. This year 4 years later he finally finds the fountain of youth ?

I think the message was clear to toews not being on the all star team he isn't the same player anymore.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Also, they have nearly ~$23m in cap space depending on what the cap goes up to. Could easily sign a Panarin...just sayin

Main issue will be Craw, who knows if he can ever play again or be back for next year

Remind me again why they traded him away

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Saad and Murphy....what are we looking at as far as a cost from the Canucks?

I could be persuaded that Anisimov would be a great a fit for us as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad