Rumor: Blackhawks interested in Marc-André Fleury, according to league source

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
What about being the team that absorbs the Cap Space for the sweetener? Say MAF goes to BOS and Hawks eat half his salary for a 2nd from both teams. MAF wouldn't have to waive for Chicago, could go to BOS without ever landing in Chicago.

That's if we don't need our Cap Space with not adding a Jones/Hamilton.

I think the hawks want to start making steps forward. Shaw, dehaan come off next year and teows and kane come of the year after and then Seabs. so we are in good shape cap wise. its time to start building a 28 and under roster that can look to compete. the issue is we are good enough to be late lottery as is. does that really move the needle? I think we should start moving foward. We should have truly tanked earlier was that bowman or MCD that kept doing the mini rebuilds? we do have allot of picks this year and next so maybe we get lucky with a SAAD/CAT type none 1st rounder.
No team with Toews, Kane and Keith on the roster is going to tank intentioal.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What about being the team that absorbs the Cap Space for the sweetener? Say MAF goes to BOS and Hawks eat half his salary for a 2nd from both teams. MAF wouldn't have to waive for Chicago, could go to BOS without ever landing in Chicago.

I think the Blackhawks are looking to compete next season so they'll spend up to the cap for players actually playing for them...one way or the other...with or without Jones.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure they'd have retained on Keith or took a bad contract back for a better return. Bowman didn't do it because he wants to spend himself.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I think the Blackhawks are looking to compete next season so they'll spend up to the cap for players actually playing for them...one way or the other...with or without Jones.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure they'd have retained on Keith or took a bad contract back for a better return. Bowman didn't do it because he wants to spend himself.
missed that part?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
One has 200+ NHL games. The other has less than a season.... Have a little optimism bud.

WHAT??? There is a reason why he is the same age and hasn’t seen much NHL action, your logic is alway on point isn’t it buddy Bud?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Read my post. If it's not Jones it's gonna be somebody else. But they're not gonna take on cap for other teams. They're gonna compete one way or the other.
there is still a chance nobody will sign here or get traded here. That's not a slime chance, it's one of the more possible outcomes. In that case, you take on Dead Cap for futures.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
there is still a chance nobody will sign here or get traded here. That's not a slime chance, it's one of the more possible outcomes. In that case, you take on Dead Cap for futures.

Ahead of expansion, cap space is a weapon. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowman pulls the trigger on something in the next days. I could be wrong but I think pretty much the only way the Blackhawks are gonna take on dead cap would be if there are key injuries or a Toews setback etc. I think plan A is to compete.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Again. You're not making sense because Lehner was injured, as he almost always is. And when he returned, he sucked ass. So no, they couldn't have made it this far without Fleury. Lehner is a good goalie when healthy but he's one of the most fragile goalies leaguewide. You can't possibly bank on him to lead you through an entire cup run.

And Montreal? Made it to the final spending 13?
So 11 works to win a cup but 12 doesn't?:laugh:

I am saying the going forward they do not need MAF. I am not sure how I can be more clear in saying this.

Making it and winning are not the same. LOL if you think Montreal is a great example considering they only made it due to covid. They are an outlier.

You can’t make up things like Lehner being one of the most fragile goalies…

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I am saying the going forward they do not need MAF. I am not sure how I can be more clear in saying this.

Making it and winning are not the same. LOL if you think Montreal is a great example considering they only made it due to covid. They are an outlier.

You can’t make up things like Lehner being one of the most fragile goalies…

I agree with you re Montreal but if Tampa can easily win with 11, it's also possible to win with 12...especially if you go over the cap the way Tampa did.

Robin Lehner has barely started 50+ games (regular season and playoffs combined) three times his entire career but that was in consecutive years. 58, 50 and 51 games from 16/17 to 18/19. Vasilevskiy is starting more games on a yearly basis. Lehner is just injured or banged up a lot. He's not a goalie you can rely on to start the majority of regular season games, let alone to carry you through an entire playoff run. You need a really good 1b behind or beside him. That's just a fact and I'm not sure Logan Thompson is necessarily there yet. Another year of Fleury can't hurt.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with you re Montreal but if Tampa can win with 11, anyone can win with 12.

Robin Lehner has barely started 50+ games (regular season and playoffs combined) three times his entire career but that was in consecutive years. 58, 50 and 51 games from 16/17 to 18/19. Vasilevskiy is starting more games on a yearly basis. Lehner is just injured or banged up a lot. He's not a goalie you can rely on to start the majority of regular season games, let alone to carry you through an entire playoff run. You need a really good 1b behind or beside him. That's just a fact and I'm not sure Logan Thompson is necessarily there yet. Another year of Fleury can't hurt.

Tampa Bay is a unicorn not the norm as they have the best goalie in the world.

Lehner has been in 1a/1b situations hence the lower totals, not injuries.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

That's untrue. He's easily good enough to be a nr.1, and he would have been if more durable but he's just mostly not healthy enough to really carry a team. He's injured a lot...as he has been just recently during playoffs.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006

I'd argue that Tampa is a unicorn in many ways. Best goalie (Vasy), arguably best defenceman (Hedman), one of the best wingers (Kucherov), and insane depth bolstered by the LTIR.

I agree with you in that I think Vegas is more than comfortable moving forward with Lehner as their guy and we will see evidence of that through the 2021-2022 season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'd argue that Tampa is a unicorn in many ways. Best goalie (Vasy), arguably best defenceman (Hedman), one of the best wingers (Kucherov), and insane depth bolstered by the LTIR.

I agree with you in that I think Vegas is more than comfortable moving forward with Lehner as their guy and we will see evidence of that through the 2021-2022 season.

Of course they are because Fleury isn't gonna play on forever. But that doesn't mean they have to get rid of Fleury right now at all costs, against his will and with just one year left on his contract. I think he's a valuable 1b for them...a 1b they need behind Lehner. They should also show a bit of respect for an aging vet who has achieved a lot and chose Vegas by waiving his NMC to get there.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That's untrue. He's easily good enough to be a nr.1, and he would have been if more durable but he's just mostly not healthy enough to really carry a team. He's injured a lot...as he has been just recently during playoffs.

It’s actually not.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Of course they are because Fleury isn't gonna play on forever. But that doesn't mean they have to get rid of Fleury right now at all costs, against his will and with just one year left on his contract. I think he's a valuable 1b for them...a 1b they need behind Lehner. They should also show a bit of respect for an aging vet who has achieved a lot and chose Vegas by waiving his NMC to get there.
I think it is more a matter of they feel they can spend that $7M to help their centre depth (or even go Eichel hunting). Vegas is quickly realizing that what they have isn't enough to go the distance. Having two really (really) solid goalies is pointless if you don't have the forwards to win the games.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Exactly. Said it many times already. Please leave poor old Fleury alone. Players at this stage of their career shouldn't get moved against their will. It's also not a smart thing to do because the motivation isn't gonna be there anyway.
Enough please. It's reminding me of the leave Brittney alone video.

Reactions: hawksrule

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think it is more a matter of they feel they can spend that $7M to help their centre depth (or even go Eichel hunting). Vegas is quickly realizing that what they have isn't enough to go the distance. Having two really (really) solid goalies is pointless if you don't have the forwards to win the games.

Centers are also pointless if your goalies can't keep you in games. Can Lehner start 50+ regular season games and carry a team all the way through a playoff run? He's gonna have to do it if Logan Thompson is his backup but Lehner has never done anything like it. Not even close. What happens if he goes down again? Can Logan Thompson carry the team? At this point that's highly unlikely.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Centers are also pointless if your goalies can't keep you in games. Can Lehner start 50+ regular season games and carry a team all the way through a playoff run? He's gonna have to do it if Logan Thompson is his backup but Lehner has never done anything like it. Not even close. What happens if he goes down again? Can Logan Thompson carry the team? At this point that's highly unlikely.
You just saw teams ride Price and Vasilevsky all the way to the finals. I understand you don't think they can ride Lehner, but I've seen worse goalies win a Cup...looking at you, Niemi...

If you have enough depth, you can make it on worse goalies than Robin Lehner.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Got bad news for you bud...

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Just because Stan didn’t retain salary with the Keith trade doesn’t mean he’s not willing to go that route and suggest they are tanking next season. He got a decent return in a situation where he had little leverage. Maybe he didn’t want to screw up the trade and push for more with retention. Plus this gives him more leverage to do something else, either sign a free agent or take a bad contract for assets. It’s not like the Keith trade was his only option to use their cap space.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I have to imagine Fleury is getting traded tomorrow. Vegas needs cap in the worst way. Now, how many teams can afford to take on his full cap hit other than us? We very well may be able to get him on the cheap.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
I have to imagine Fleury is getting traded tomorrow. Vegas needs cap in the worst way. Now, how many teams can afford to take on his full cap hit other than us? We very well may be able to get him on the cheap.
Why would he be traded prior to the ED? That makes no sense.

This is going to be one of those goalie musical chair years where there are more goalies on the market than spots. The fact that the Hawks can pair Lankinen legitimately with a true back up, 1B, 1A, or a real #1 give us a lot of flexibility to see where the chips fall and get value.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
This was meant about tanking earlier. And earlier seasons we had all 3.

You don't tank intentional with those 3 here. Now it's only 2 left and you still don't tank with them, a returning Dach and DeBrincat.

Is there even such a thing as an “unintentional tank”??

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If Vegas can move Fleury before the draft they'd be wise too. They're exempt from the expansion draft and can add a quality piece for fifty cents on the dollar from a team that's going to lose something for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad