Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks hire Jimmy Waite as goaltending coach

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
It's more important hire an ex-hawk-player than to have experience. The Hawks hire more ex-hawk players to coach than any other team in the NHL.

Regardless Waite was an outstanding goalie when he was playing in the NHL and should be able to help Crawford. I think Mike Visor was the first choice but I can't say for sure.

106 games of NHL experience with a 3.35 GAA is hard to find. Great move by the Hawks.

Sort of like Stephane Waite who had 0 NHL games and his previous experience was from the Q.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Agreed. I imagine he did a lot of work with Raanta and Darling as well even though they both split time between the A and here. Is it common for goalie coaches to work with AHL goalies too?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Mark Lazerus @MarkLazerus · 9h 9 hours ago

Scott Darling credited Jimmy Waite's pre-coaching for the big toe save on Ellis in the third period. Knew the backdoor play was coming.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
Darling loves Waite. He has said that numerous times. Emphasizes that he makes the game a lot of fun instead of taking things so seriously.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
It's more important hire an ex-hawk-player than to have experience. The Hawks hire more ex-hawk players to coach than any other team in the NHL.

Regardless Waite was an outstanding goalie when he was playing in the NHL and should be able to help Crawford. I think Mike Visor was the first choice but I can't say for sure.

106 games of NHL experience with a 3.35 GAA is hard to find. Great move by the Hawks.

Waite was hardly "outstanding" lol. He was a backup that floated around the league. The Hawks for some reason love(d) him - he was a total flop/bust when considering his draft position.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Waite should help Crawford by telling him to stand up straighter rather than crouching forward when he's down on his knees. All of these top shelf goals are a result of not making himself "tall" when he's down.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Mark Lazerus @MarkLazerus · 9h 9 hours ago

Scott Darling credited Jimmy Waite's pre-coaching for the big toe save on Ellis in the third period. Knew the backdoor play was coming.

I don't know where he learned it, but Darling's stick around the crease is a tremendous asset, especially with his long reach. His ability to poke check and yet still remain big in the nets is something to behold ... and really throws off the shooters trying to raid his crease.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Just wanted to bump this because Waite really didn't get the acclaim he deserved IMO

- Did wonders with Darling
- Turned Raanta's game around
- Seemed to stabilize Crawford's game back to form we saw most of time he was with his brother

Proving to be a very good hire as goalie coach

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Just wanted to bump this because Waite really didn't get the acclaim he deserved IMO

- Did wonders with Darling
- Turned Raanta's game around
- Seemed to stabilize Crawford's game back to form we saw most of time he was with his brother

Proving to be a very good hire as goalie coach

You are right, Hawks with best goaltending this seasom imo.

marco1475

Mar 17, 2015
You are right, Hawks with best goaltending this seasom imo.

I thought he and Crawford addressed the reverse-VH issues on sharp-angle shots very nicely as the Finals progressed. And as was mentioned Darling was phenomenal (not sure how much of that was Darling and how much it was goaltending coaching).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad