Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks hire Jimmy Waite as goaltending coach

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 16s
Jimmy Waite: “I look forward to working with Corey (Crawford) and Antti (Raanta) and to help contribute to the success of this organization"

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hope he works well for us. Only has two years experience coaching in the Q, though, and looks like Chicoutimi was below average during his tenure there.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Maybe he has worked closely with his brother and got some of his tactics.

Can't really question this move though, until we see results, or lack thereof.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I hated him while he played in Germany. Stupid guy here.

I loved it during warm ups when every player shot the puck on the net and hit him because we stretched directly in front of the net. No other goalie does this :laugh:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I will be honest

I thought he might have still been playing in Germany

I have no problem with this hire ,, Mine as well give new blood a shot

Spent last 3 years as Chicoutimi Sagueneens goalie coach it seems and though his goalies haven't been impressive looking at things neither is rest of team roster

Last edited:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I have no idea what to make of this hire.
I wasn't his brothers' biggest fan for almost his entire time in Chicago. Any follow up on what was the problem with Weeks. This doesn't exactly strike me as something they seem to have had lined up for months or weeks.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
This guy is the reason why Hasek turned out to be ... Well Hasek.

The Hawks traded Hasek because they were so invested in this guy and were so convinced he was going to be the next great goalie.

Hasek would have never went on to have the HOF career he had without this pylon blocking him on the depth chart...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I remember back in the day the Hawks wanted Tretiak to come out of retirement and play - and this is around the time the Hawks had Belfour and Hasek..:laugh:

3 of the all time greatest goalies rotating..... :shakehead

Never heard that nor believe it as problems existed

Tretiak was 40 at time and out of hockey for 6 years and not Hawks property so he wouldn't have been eligible to play for Hawks

This guy is the reason why Hasek turned out to be ... Well Hasek.

The Hawks traded Hasek because they were so invested in this guy and were so convinced he was going to be the next great goalie.

Hasek would have never went on to have the HOF career he had without this pylon blocking him on the depth chart...

Hasek was going to go back overseas if he wasn't traded. Waite had nothing to do with the Hawks moving Hasek

Infact Hawks (Well Keenan) wanted to trade Belfour to Nordiques for Lindros to open door for Hasek as Hawks #1

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yep, that was a big chance. Lindros and Roenick down the middle with Hasek in net. The Nords wanted to take the Hawks deal too. Wirtz nixed it IIRC, there was some money involved and he wouldn't give it up.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Never heard that nor believe it as problems existed

Tretiak was 40 at time and out of hockey for 6 years and not Hawks property so he wouldn't have been eligible to play for Hawks

Hasek was going to go back overseas if he wasn't traded. Waite had nothing to do with the Hawks moving Hasek

Infact Hawks (Well Keenan) wanted to trade Belfour to Nordiques for Lindros to open door for Hasek as Hawks #1

Someone posted an article on the History of Hockey forum confirming The Hawks were trying to lure Tretiak out of retirement while he was the Hawks goaltending coach.

Yes, Hasek was going back overseas if he was not playing in the NHL - he was NOT going back to Indianapolis. The Hawks believed that Waite would be better suited to backup Belfour instead of Hasek...... Either way, Waite was responsible for Haseks career (or at least him leaving the Hawks).. Had he stayed and backed up Belfour who knows what would have happened.... It's a very bizarre situation looking at it in hindsight...

Also the Hawks offered Belfour + for Lindros.... Imagine what the Hawks would have looked like had they kept Hasek instead of Waite and traded Belfour + for Lindros...

Right now I have to rush out the door but I'm going to elaborate more on this Waite/Hasek/Belfour thing later because one could write a book about it.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
No one with experience available?

It's more important hire an ex-hawk-player than to have experience. The Hawks hire more ex-hawk players to coach than any other team in the NHL.

Regardless Waite was an outstanding goalie when he was playing in the NHL and should be able to help Crawford. I think Mike Visor was the first choice but I can't say for sure.

106 games of NHL experience with a 3.35 GAA is hard to find. Great move by the Hawks.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
It's more important hire an ex-hawk-player than to have experience. The Hawks hire more ex-hawk players to coach than any other team in the NHL.

Regardless Waite was an outstanding goalie when he was playing in the NHL and should be able to help Crawford. I think Mike Visor was the first choice but I can't say for sure.

106 games of NHL experience with a 3.35 GAA is hard to find. Great move by the Hawks.

Ed, Homer, and the gang are insulted by this claim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad