Blackhawks Future rosters

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
After the Shaw signing I think it's useful to look at what our roster will look like in future years...

The absolute biggest piece of information that will decide the Blackhawks future is the 2014-2015 salary cap.

All the Blackhawks moves have pointed to the salary cap being at 70,000,000. If it is lower than that we are going to have to make some very difficult decisions.

Here is our roster given 70M:
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Brandon Saad ($0.764m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.925m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Andrew Shaw ($2.000m) / Jimmy Hayes ($1.100m)
Jeremy Morin ($1.100m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.325m) / Ben Smith ($0.900m)
Brandon Pirri ($0.660m) /
Mark McNeill ($0.863m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($4.100m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Michal Rozsival ($2.200m)
Adam Clendening ($0.743m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Rostislav Olesz ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,406,795; BONUSES: $1,062,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $723,205

If the cap doest rise like we hope then Oduya/Roszival will probably have to be dealt for futures and our D will be looking at rostering two rookies out of Clendening/Johns/Dahlbeck/Olsen.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Looking even farther forward we might need to deal one of Seabrook/Sharp to resign Toews/Kane/Saad to stay under a 70M cap in 2015/2016.

When do we find out the cap for next year?

LandofLincoln*

If the cap didn't reach 70 million

1. There doesn't need to be any move. The probability of the cap going to 70m is probably 80% chance. The Hawks don't need to dump players or salary, but in the rare case it didn't reach 70m the following would work fine.

2. Johnny Oduya is an asset that can be replaced. Leddy would be a #4 on every NHL team other than Chicago. Hjalmarsson & Leddy is a great 2nd pairing if not the best in the league a top 5 for sure. Cledening & Rozsival as a 3rd pairing is a luxury and most likely a top 5 defensive 3rd pairing.

3. There is less than a 1% chance the salary cap stays the same, but if it did...
Crawford or Bickell would be in the discussion of being sent out.... It would hurt other teams more than it would hurt us. The Hawks could find a serviceable goalie for 3.5m.

4. There's nothing to worry about. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a reduction in the cap again. It would tighten up parity in the league, and I think it would help the Hawks more than hurt them. The majority of elite teams would have to make more difficult decisions than Stan would.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
1. There doesn't need to be any move. The probability of the cap going to 70m is probably 80% chance. The Hawks don't need to dump players or salary, but in the rare case it didn't reach 70m the following would work fine.

2. Johnny Oduya is an asset that can be replaced. Leddy would be a #4 on every NHL team other than Chicago. Hjalmarsson & Leddy is a great 2nd pairing if not the best in the league a top 5 for sure. Cledening & Rozsival as a 3rd pairing is a luxury and most likely a top 5 defensive 3rd pairing. .

A rookie with 0 games of NHL experience and a 36 year old dman would be a luxury?

LandofLincoln*

Looking even farther forward we might need to deal one of Seabrook/Sharp to resign Toews/Kane/Saad to stay under a 70M cap in 2015/2016.

When do we find out the cap for next year?

Unlikely Seabrook or Sharp get dealt. There is a possibility of the Blackhawks not having $$$ to lock up Saad. They probably will be choosing between him and TT around that time. If both TT and Saad are developed then Sharp is the aging asset that probably could fetch a 1st round pick if not more.

They are two years away from making that decision. Stephen Johns would have to make the team and exceed all expectations. Brent Seabrook is harder to replace than Sharp partially because we don't have an overflow of defensive prospects.

RomersWorld*

Unlikely Seabrook or Sharp get dealt. There is a possibility of the Blackhawks not having $$$ to lock up Saad. They probably will be choosing between him and TT around that time. If both TT and Saad are developed then Sharp is the aging asset that probably could fetch a 1st round pick if not more.

They are two years away from making that decision. Stephen Johns would have to make the team and exceed all expectations. Brent Seabrook is harder to replace than Sharp partially because we don't have an overflow of defensive prospects.

No way to shipping out either Saad or TT. Youth and ELC/2nd contracts are key. Oduya will be gone. Then it prob comes down to if Olsen(who looks good this year) or Johns(beast, NHL-ready now IMO) can replace Seabrook.

Also consider Sharp might be priced out if Morin, McNeill, Saad, TT, ect can become top 6 wingers.

Or Hossa will be put on LTIR and neither 'have' to be moved. Impossible to predict really.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The cap's only going to continue to go up. The Hawks will be fine in that regard. There's no reason to anticipate it doing anything else but grow - and quite a bit, at that.

I always like these "team of the future" threads, but they're always wrong. A lot of roster moves are unpredictable; from under-the-radar guys making the roster, to injuries, to trades and FA signings.. things never turn out the way you expect (for the most part).

I think Teravainen will be on the team next year.. and I think Hartman, Olsen, and Johns (if he signs) will be on the team sooner than later too.

LandofLincoln*

A rookie with 0 games of NHL experience and a 36 year old dman would be a luxury?

Yep did I stutter? Clendening was a 2nd team AHL all-star and will be a 1st team AHL all-star this year. He is the leading scorer on the Icehogs.

I'm not sure you know who M. Rozsival was before he got to Chicago do you? He made 5m a year for the NYR back in 2008 4 year deal. In his prime he was somewhere in between Seabrook & Hlalmarsson. Sure he is older 36 and plays much better than the 2.2m contract. If you don't think he is playing here for less to win go back to hockey school. He is a luxury and discount.

LandofLincoln*

No way to shipping out either Saad or TT. Youth and ELC/2nd contracts are key. Oduya will be gone. Then it prob comes down to if Olsen(who looks good this year) or Johns(beast, NHL-ready now IMO) can replace Seabrook.

Also consider Sharp might be priced out if Morin, McNeill, Saad, TT, ect can become top 6 wingers.

Or Hossa will be put on LTIR and neither 'have' to be moved. Impossible to predict really.

agree

Nothingman*

All I know is we will need at least $4Mm for the Toews/Kane raises. So there will be moves and it will all depend on the cap increase. I am sure there is a plan. I am guessing we will see moves this coming summer.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Yep did I stutter? Clendening was a 2nd team AHL all-star and will be a 1st team AHL all-star this year. He is the leading scorer on the Icehogs.

I'm not sure you know who M. Rozsival was before he got to Chicago do you? He made 5m a year for the NYR back in 2008 4 year deal. In his prime he was somewhere in between Seabrook & Hlalmarsson. Sure he is older 36 and plays much better than the 2.2m contract. If you don't think he is playing here for less to win go back to hockey school. He is a luxury and discount.

Yeah, because AHL success always translates to the NHL, right? And Quenneville has a tendency to give players ice time purely because of their scoring touch without regards to whether or not they can hack it with the big club, right? Clendening could very well step in and play the NHL game at a high level but to claim somebody with ZERO NHL games under their belt is a luxury is ****ing ridiculous to say the least.

And yes, of course I know who Michal Rozsival is. What a stupid thing to ask somebody. He's been a solid defenseman his entire career but can you honestly sit there and tell me that his play isn't declining? He's been a liability in his own zone a fair amount of time so far this year and he's only played 9 out of the 18 games the Hawks have played this season. Obviously part of that is due to age but that's not going to get any better as time goes on.

So no, this hypothetical luxury third pairing is anything but. And save your attitude and condescension for someone else.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
2014/15 - projected salary cap $70M

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-McNeill
Danault-Kruger-Nordstrom
Bollig/Smith

Keith-Seabrook
Oduya-Hjalmarsson
Leddy-Johns
Rozsival

Crawford
Raanta

2015/16 - projected salary cap $76M

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-McNeill
Danault-Kruger-Hartman
Nordstrom/Ross

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Hjalmarsson
Clendening-Johns
Dahlbeck

Crawford
Raanta

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-McNeill
Danault-Kruger-Nordstrom
Bollig/Smith

Keith-Seabrook
Oduya-Hjalmarsson
Leddy-Johns
Rozsival

Crawford
Raanta

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-McNeill
Danault-Kruger-Hartman
Nordstrom/Ross

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Hjalmarsson
Clendening-Johns
Dahlbeck

Crawford
Raanta

What happens with Morin and Pirri?

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I cant see Johns making the jump without AHL seasoning. Clendening while an AHL allstar is based on his offensive production more than anything. Dahlbeck and maybe Olsen would get first crack at call-ups.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Hoping Pirri can keep progressing, he's been getting better in his own zone almost every game, would be huge if they could start TT at wing, as I think the transition will be easier and frankly he probably won't be good enough/ strong enough to play center on a cup contending team his first season in NA. Bickell needs to improve his quality of play, he's not a valuable asset at the moment (hopefully he still will be in the playoffs).

14-15
Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Pirri-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-TT
Bollig-Kruger-Danault
Smith, Morin

Depending on the cap, it will depend whether they can keep Johnny O, and I hope they can, he's been great minus the Phoenix series. But I'd flop Oduya and Leddy because I think Johns signs and makes the team out of camp and I'd rather he play with someone safer than 8, and 8 will be able to flourish next to Hammer

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Hammer
Oduya-Johns
Rosival

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Dylan olsen

I hope I'm wrong because it would be a bummer to get nothing from another 1st rounder, but at this point my hopes for Olsen have pretty much faded. I think Johns and Dahlbeck are both ahead of him on the stay-at-home d-man prospect list and with Seabrook and Hjalmarsson here, (along with Rozsival for anouther year), I don't see him having finding a spot.

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-McNeill
Danault-Kruger-Nordstrom
Bollig/Smith

Keith-Seabrook
Oduya-Hjalmarsson
Leddy-Johns
Rozsival

Crawford
Raanta

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-McNeill
Danault-Kruger-Hartman
Nordstrom/Ross

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Hjalmarsson
Clendening-Johns
Dahlbeck

Crawford
Raanta

I like the 15/16 forward lines but I would switch Bickell and Danault and put Danault at center as I believe him to be better at faceoffs.Either way all three are capable of taking draws and they all play a 200ft game.That line would be a real pain to play against and very difficult to score on.In theory anyway lol

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
I cant see Johns making the jump without AHL seasoning. Clendening while an AHL allstar is based on his offensive production more than anything. Dahlbeck and maybe Olsen would get first crack at call-ups.

Agree. Everyone likes Johns size/hitting but I still think he is a project; he would have developed much faster if he had turned pro a couple of years ago. Olsen still has potential and seems to be turning it around, and Dahlbeck sounds like a good SAH guy. Q is there to win now and wants guys he can rely on. He is not a development coach.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
how about Pirri sticks as #2 Center and Teräväinen plays as Winger?
Id like to see this as well. Only problem is if Teravainen is placed as a winger, it would probably be RW which means he would be third line behind Kane and Hossa, Hossa having 7 more years under contact.

With Teravainen playing center at Jokerit this year, it appears the Hawks would want to give him every chance at the center spot. That said, Id rather see him on wing.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Id like to see this as well. Only problem is if Teravainen is placed as a winger, it would probably be RW which means he would be third line behind Kane and Hossa, Hossa having 7 more years under contact.

With Teravainen playing center at Jokerit this year, it appears the Hawks would want to give him every chance at the center spot. That said, Id rather see him on wing.

Stick TT on 3rd line wing next year and swap him with Hossa the following season. Hossa on the 3rd line in the latter stages of his career would still be deadly.

Agree. From what we can see on the highlights, Teravainen would most likely succeed on wing easier than center. Third line seems appropriate to start, (and potentially a dangerous addition), and up in a year or two. How would teams respond to the Hawks having three scoring lines.

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-McNeill
Danault-Kruger-Nordstrom
Bollig/Smith

Keith-Seabrook
Oduya-Hjalmarsson
Leddy-Johns
Rozsival

Crawford
Raanta

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-McNeill
Danault-Kruger-Hartman
Nordstrom/Ross

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Hjalmarsson
Clendening-Johns
Dahlbeck

Crawford
Raanta

Kruger is gone. He's weak and defense only, and his PK capabilities have regressed to the mean, having been overestimated by too many posters on this board. He's a one trick pony on a team with other more well-rounded possibilities in the future.

Any three of Shaw, Pirri, McNeill, Danault, LeBlanc, or even Hayden/K. Hayes likely will be centering the 2/3/4 lines in the coming years (two of whom are on the roster right now), not to mention the eventual possibility of Teravainen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad