Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks Draft F Ryan Hartman 30th Overall

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
From what I've read and found out, he is considered as a good teammate in Plymouth. Another + for me

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Best case scenario, he's ... ?

Worst case is a flame-out, obviously.

I understand why some people will say he won't amount to much more than a third line player, but when you look at his intangibles, character, and everything he brings to the table, this kid has top 6 written all over him. It is his attitude and work ethic that really puts him above a lot of his peers. This kid will fight for his teammates, he is a pest on the ice, goes into the tough areas to get the puck, and he is a vocal leader and has been for years...he really is a Ryan Callahan clone who if put in the chance to succeed here, I believe will.

He scores big goals and nearly lead the team in scoring despite playing a lot less games than Meurs. He had a rough playoffs where he played hurt then got really hurt and had to sit out the rest of the games.

He isnt the sexiest pick, but I think he is going to have a much longer and brighter career than many of the kids picked ahead of him. Hopefully he has a monster year with both Trocheck and Noesen moving on to the pros, so this will be his true test to see how he handles being the top dog for Plymouth.

Has Callahan and Dustin Brown traits and skills in him, do not limit this kid by any means.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I got to see a lot of Hartman this last season with the Plymouth Whalers and am really curious to see how his career pans out. I wanted to share some early impressions of this unique and interesting hockey player.

I agree with a lot of the comments made and reports from scouts. He is gritty. Smaller than most but completely fearless. I believe he agitates because he is that talented and smart, wanting to prove he can dominate every single aspect of the game: scoring, checking, passing, mucking it up, etc.

What was most striking to me about his character on the ice is his intelligence. He is very calculated, sneaky. Don't know if it's because I was expecting his arrival but there is something special about how smart this guy is. Heads and shoulders above 70% of his age group and he loves to rub it in their face. He makes plays quickly and has a giant hockey IQ. No doubt he has a good shot- not the hardest but is accurate and is adept at getting open. In any fashion Hartman is a goal scorer. ;)

A negative I saw was the amount of unnecessary penalties taken. Lots of slashes. Part of this I think was because he played with the US-U18 program before joining the OHL last year. He was a 17 year old rookie and seemed to have a chip on his shoulder. Every game he was out to show he wasn't afraid to be physical, to start stuff at any given moment. He needs to get over it and play a purely skill game.

I'm not sure if it's a positive or negative but Hartman is a strong individual. There are shifts I noticed he tried hard to look cool. His back check was circumspect, and I feel he could have given a little more to his team. He seemed dis interested at times. But I'm realizing that this is to be expected... for guys intending to be drafted I think it may be hard to focus on your junior team and not the scouts in the stands. His style, swagger, confidence, whatever you call it off the charts and that should be a good quality if it can be reigned in.

A memory I will cherish is how quickly he and Trocheck bonded as teammates on the Whalers after winning a gold medal. They were immediately put on a line together and although not playing together in the IIHC they had instant chemistry. They started warmups together usually doing insane catches and stick work off each other. To put Ryan in the same league as Trocheck's skill says a lot.

I thought I read Hartman's favorite player was Mike Richards? It makes perfect sense as to how both those players are smaller but tenacious, quick and smart. They can own guys twice their size. I can't help but compare him to Cory Emmerton. A 4th line center who has earned a place in the NHL and continues to improve every season. In the best scenario he is a mixture of both Kane and Toews- beautiful soft hands and straight up guts to fight in those dirty areas.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad