Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks agree to terms with Stephen Johns on a 2-year deal

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
This is the internet dude. If you admit you don't religiously follow every team in the five highest leagues how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously?

Johns has all the tools. I think he might end up a forward if his game doesn't progress at this next level.

Last night he showed he can play D at least for one night.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I think anytime somebody posts a YouTube clip of a defensive play, good or bad, and uses it to say "See! He's great!" or "See! He's not that good!" isn't being fair to the player or to the discussion.

I know nothing about Johns so i won't comment on where i see him. I do know that i could show that highlight of the goal-saving stick lift by Keith against Minny a few nights ago and then show 5 videos of gaffes from him. You have to look at a player's body of work as a whole, not just one game.

Now, the contributions Hawks posters make to the Prospect/Draft thread are amazing and I trust your guy's opinions and observations a lot. If after watching Johns for his college career (like some of you have) you still feel he's not anywhere near NHL ready then that's more than fair.

I think I said that's happened to him more than once. I wasn't basing anything off one Youtube video. That poster was just using that as an example is all. I won't speak for them, I'm speaking for me. I can assure you I don't make scouting assessments off of seeing one youtube clip of a player. Believe me.

I don't feel Johns is more than a season away, personally. I think he could be up with the team at some point as soon as next season. By all accounts he had a very good game in Abbotsford the other night.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post, sorry.

Last edited:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Not arguing with you but following the string.

Nothing more Pejorative Slured than bringing up one play from a player and basically stating that is how he plays. YouTube is a blessing and a curse. I watched a few ND games and he was the best player on the ice in all those games. But....that would mean an attention span of greater than a 10 second clip is necessary which is not the case it seems when judging players.

It wasn't one clip defining a player, it was an attempt to temper the enthusiasm from some of the other highlight clips. Besides, there's more highlight clips of him making less than ideal plays but I don't think anybody needs them all posted to understand the point made.

Many of us have seen ND games and we've seen plenty of dominant play and plenty of plays that left room for improvement too. Johns is huge and he's an excellent NCAA player. I think it's premature to project onto an NHL roster in the short term, that doesn't mean he's not going to be a good player and it does nothing to diminish anybody's opinion that he's a good prospect. While I don't think he'll be more than depth dman, mostly off of the NHL roster, for the next couple of years at best I'm still hopeful that his development is accelerated and he proves me wrong.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think I said that's happened to him more than once. I wasn't basing anything off one Youtube video. That poster was just using that as an example is all. I won't speak for them, I'm speaking for me. I can assure you I don't make scouting assessments off of seeing one youtube clip of a player. Believe me.

I don't feel Johns is more than a season away, personally. I think he could be up with the team at some point as soon as next season. By all accounts he had a very good game in Abbotsford the other night.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post, sorry.

Oh I know you didn't post the YouTube clip. Any reference I made to you was along the lines of "watching them play actual games throughout their career and knowing what you're talking about.

@Disgruntled:

Excuse me, I have a 10 monitor system in my hockey lair with 2 NHL games, 1 game for; AHL, KHL, SEL, SM-Liga, OHL, WHL, and QMJHL, and another monitor for whatever game I need to watch to look like I know what I'm talking about. I watch hockey 18 hours a day, seven days a week.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Oh I know you didn't post the YouTube clip. Any reference I made to you was along the lines of "watching them play actual games throughout their career and knowing what you're talking about.

@Disgruntled:

Excuse me, I have a 10 monitor system in my hockey lair with 2 NHL games, 1 game for; AHL, KHL, SEL, SM-Liga, OHL, WHL, and QMJHL, and another monitor for whatever game I need to watch to look like I know what I'm talking about. I watch hockey 18 hours a day, seven days a week.

No, I know, I didn't even mean to quote you, meant to quote another poster's post. No big deal.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Johns is going to need seasoning. Physically, he's ready for the NHL - he was pretty much physically ready for the NHL the moment he was drafted.. but he still needs to refine his game. Focus on making good reads, defensive stops; when to pinch, when to go for a hit, etc.

He has great physical tools. He's a beast that can skate. What goes on between his ears will define Johns as a player - not saying he's a dumb player, but that's where he needs to improve to get to the NHL.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Nice goal by Johns. I'm excited to see him on the Hawks if he makes it. We really don't have a prospect like him in the system.

hawkey5

Apr 3, 2014
New England
Thats an absurd statement. You don't think there is a chance both Johns and Clendening develop well enough to become a 2nd D pairing?

Clendening is tearing up the AHL. He outperformed Leddy when they were teammates in Rockford during the lockout. He's 21 and the #1 D of an AHL team.

You see no scenario where these two could be a sweet thunder and lightning 2nd D pair? I think you're very very wrong.

Clendening is woefully underrated on this board.

Couldn't agree more. Clendening is NHL ready in my eyes, not much more he can do to prove it I don't think

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Couldn't agree more. Clendening is NHL ready in my eyes, not much more he can do to prove it I don't think

Clendening is the leading point getter among AHL prospect defensemen.

#17 in AHL scoring, #2 in defensive scoring.

He is criminally underrated on this board. The #2 prospect in our system in my mind.

SLarmer28*

Nice goal by Johns. I'm excited to see him on the Hawks if he makes it. We really don't have a prospect like him in the system.
Yup! The Chicago Blackhawks need to add more big right handed defensive defenseman to the prospect pool in order to replace Rozsival and Brokebank.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Clendening is the leading point getter among AHL prospect defensemen.

#17 in AHL scoring, #2 in defensive scoring.
He is criminally underrated on this board. The #2 prospect in our system in my mind.

Except dmen that have not made the NHL yet aren't rated by their offensive stats.

Those stats, if decent, are a bonus if the dman can actually play defense. I don't see RFD play. How is Clendening's defense? I suspect it needs work otherwise he'd be here in place of Brookbank or Rozy.

As for the signing of Johns: I was concerned that his agent would disuade his signing with Hawks, simply because of Hawks tendency to go with smaller finesse types... and the fact that he may have to wait longer than normal to get his opportunity here. This signing is the best (prospect) news I have heard all season. I hope Hawks (Q) don't play games with him, and give him a legit shot to join the roster, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Q doesn't play games with anyone. Guys who aren't on the roster know what they need to do to stay on the roster.

It's mind-boggling to me that some people on this board can think Q has it out for some young players while Saad, Leddy, Shaw, Smith and Kruger has all stuck with the Hawks and guys like Hayes, Olsen, Morin, Pirri, etc. have had extended looks. At what point do you stop saying **** like Q "has it out" for a guy, and realize perhaps said player isn't good/consistent/well-rounded enough to play in the NHL?

Oh, you can cut it on the last place Florida Panthers? Congrats. The Hawks are playing for Championships, not tee times.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Q doesn't play games with anyone. Guys who aren't on the roster know what they need to do to stay on the roster.

It's mind-boggling to me that some people on this board can think Q has it out for some young players while Saad, Leddy, Shaw, Smith and Kruger has all stuck with the Hawks and guys like Hayes, Olsen, Morin, Pirri, etc. have had extended looks. At what point do you stop saying **** like Q "has it out" for a guy, and realize perhaps said player isn't good/consistent/well-rounded enough to play in the NHL?

Oh, you can cut it on the last place Florida Panthers? Congrats. The Hawks are playing for Championships, not tee times.

I'd also add that some the guys who didn't cut it just might not fit the Hawk's system. Doesn't mean they wouldn't fit somewhere else.

As has been said before, 50% of NHLers could play on any NHL team; the other half needs to be on the right team in the right system. All the guys who haven't been able to crack the roster fit into the latter half. The fact we're arguing about these guys shows how sound the top end talent on this roster is and the depth in the organization.

Remarkable how far this organization has come - our frustrations as fans use to be about the stars: Chelios, Belfour, Roenick, Daze, Zhamnov, Fluery, etc. Now we're arguing about which prospect should come up first and which fourth liner should be scratched.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City

We get it; the first decision management (coaches or front office) makes that you disagree with will be your first.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
personally, I think morin has clearly proven he belongs on the hawks. He's always flying out there and certainly has upside beyond just a 4th liner. Excited to see how he play next year when there's likely more space for him on the roster.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Morin's an RFA after this season. It'd be tough to fit him in next year if they plan on resigning Smith or calling up someone from Rockford.

I'd love to see him on the Hawks next year though if he keeps playing like he has.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
personally, I think morin has clearly proven he belongs on the hawks. He's always flying out there and certainly has upside beyond just a 4th liner. Excited to see how he play next year when there's likely more space for him on the roster.

I think Morin will. His development reminds me of Ben Smith a little bit even though they came into the system as much different prospects.

-Both had pretty significant injuries delay their path to the NHL
-Both have a nice combo of grit and offensive touch
-Both "play big"
-Both solid AHL careers
-Both know what their role is in the NHL
-Both are versatile

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I think Morin will. His development reminds me of Ben Smith a little bit even though they came into the system as much different prospects.

-Both had pretty significant injuries delay their path to the NHL
-Both have a nice combo of grit and offensive touch
-Both "play big"
-Both solid AHL careers
-Both know what their role is in the NHL
-Both are versatile

I agree. Ben Smith has played himself out of being pigeon holed as a 4th line plug too.

In fact I would be happy if he started the playoffs at 2C, I'm that comfortable with his game.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Morin this offseason. He could be quite versatile but I just don't know where to slot him considering the whole offense will be back.

It would be so Q to take him over Teravainen, Smith to 2C, Morin to 4W and make Tivo prove it in the A.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
He could be quite versatile but I just don't know where to slot him considering the whole offense will be back.

Morin can't play center but he's the type of guy you can stick on any line on either wing - Q loves that type of thing. You can stick him on the left side to showcase his shot or ask to him to play more a grinding role on the right side. I think a guy who can play up and down the lineup will find a way onto the roster if he wants to stay in Chicago.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Morin can't play center but he's the type of guy you can stick on any line on either wing - Q loves that type of thing. You can stick him on the left side to showcase his shot or ask to him to play more a grinding role on the right side. I think a guy who can play up and down the lineup will find a way onto the roster if he wants to stay in Chicago.

Right I get that but I wonder
1) if he'll want to be a 13th forward
2) where he gets games from.

Are you just assuming Bickell will get injured? sitting Versteeg? Letting Hossa rest? Sitting ben Smith?
I guess with a combo of all of those he could get in to 30-50 games.

I wonder what he'll want contract-wise and what someone might offer sheet him for?

SLarmer28*

The Chicago Blackhawks will need to keep fourteen forwards on the roster next season. Eight defenseman on the Chicago Blackhawks roster this season was a waste with Kostka playing only nine games.

Saad - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Teravainen - Hossa
xxxxx - Shaw - Versteeg
Bollig - Kruger - Smith
Hjalmarsson (Simon), Morin, Regin

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The Chicago Blackhawks will need to keep fourteen forwards on the roster next season. Eight defenseman on the Chicago Blackhawks roster this season was a waste with Kostka playing only nine games.

Saad - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Teravainen - Hossa
xxxxx - Shaw - Versteeg
Bollig - Kruger - Smith
Hjalmarsson (Simon), Morin, Regin

Doubt Regin is back. A lot of mouths to feed PT next year. Good problem to have though.

SLarmer28*

Doubt Regin is back. A lot of mouths to feed PT next year. Good problem to have though.
The Chicago Blackhawks need to keep spare forwards on the cheap. I doubt Regin gets much interest anywhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad