Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks agree to terms with Stephen Johns on a 2-year deal

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The Chicago Blackhawks need to keep spare forwards on the cheap. I doubt Regin gets much interest anywhere else.

Maybe but probably not.

TiVo in for Handzus
Smith resigned
------------------- on ice roster full
Morin resigned
Hjalmarsson signed

That's 14 forwards + Nordstrom lurking or a wildcard like Ross/McNeill/Danault/Broadhurst/Hayes.

There's always a surprise forward that makes it. No need to resign Regin, although I have really liked him so wouldn't be opposed if he wanted to play near the league min.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
the way Regin plays with a team like Chicago, there will be a guy like Tallon out there to hand him a 2 million contract :laugh:

SLarmer28*

Maybe but probably not.

TiVo in for Handzus
Smith resigned
------------------- on ice roster full
Morin resigned
Hjalmarsson signed

That's 14 forwards + Nordstrom lurking or a wildcard like Ross/McNeill/Danault/Broadhurst/Hayes.

There's always a surprise forward that makes it. No need to resign Regin, although I have really liked him so wouldn't be opposed if he wanted to play near the league min.
I don't envision Bickell on the roster next season, not with a $68 million salary cap. Nordstrom will still retain his waiver exempt status next season, so it would be a waste for Nordstrom to rot in the press box.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Brandon Saad ($0.764m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.925m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Simon Hjalmarsson ($0.925m) / Andrew Shaw ($2.000m) / Kris Versteeg ($2.200m)
Brandon Bollig ($1.250m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.325m) / Ben Smith ($1.250m)
Jeremy Morin ($0.761m) / Peter Regin ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($4.100m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.375m)
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Michal Rozsival ($2.200m)
David Rundblad ($0.785m)

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($0.925m)

BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Rostislav Olesz ($0.000m)

TRADES/WAIVERS
Bryan Bickell ($4.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,348,878; BONUSES: $630,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $651,122

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
It's crazy to think that most all other teams are looking to find a couple top 6 forwards in the offseason, or a second pairing Dman, or a starting goalie. Meanwhile we're over here debating who the 13th/14th forward should be.

SLarmer28*

It's crazy to think that most all other teams are looking to find a couple top 6 forwards in the offseason, or a second pairing Dman, or a starting goalie. Meanwhile we're over here debating who the 13th/14th forward should be.
Stan Bowman is no Mike Gillis. Stan Bowman is proactive with acquiring young talent by means other than the draft:

Simon Hjalmarsson
Trevor van Riemsdyk
Matt Carey

Unlike Mike Gillis, Stan Bowman does not piss away first round draft picks or trade away his franchise goalie(s).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Q doesn't play games with anyone. Guys who aren't on the roster know what they need to do to stay on the roster.

It's mind-boggling to me that some people on this board can think Q has it out for some young players while Saad, Leddy, Shaw, Smith and Kruger has all stuck with the Hawks and guys like Hayes, Olsen, Morin, Pirri, etc. have had extended looks. At what point do you stop saying **** like Q "has it out" for a guy, and realize perhaps said player isn't good/consistent/well-rounded enough to play in the NHL?

Oh, you can cut it on the last place Florida Panthers? Congrats. The Hawks are playing for Championships, not tee times.

Yup, my view as well. Q doesn't have it out for any player, unless said player just isn't that great of a player or fit for the team.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Right I get that but I wonder
1) if he'll want to be a 13th forward
2) where he gets games from.

Are you just assuming Bickell will get injured? sitting Versteeg? Letting Hossa rest? Sitting ben Smith?
I guess with a combo of all of those he could get in to 30-50 games.

I wonder what he'll want contract-wise and what someone might offer sheet him for?

You're right, it's all up to Morin. Depends if he'd rather go to a bad team and get a lot of ice. I'd be surprised to see someone offer sheet him but you never know. If we could get a pick back for an offer sheet I'd consider that a win for the Hawks.

It is worth noting that the Hawks top 12 wingers have missed 54 combined games this year. That number will only go up as the team gets older. Seeing that Morin can play both wings and up and down the lineup...I think he'd get a lot of ice time, especially if he was rotated in for guys like Hossa, Bickell, etc on a regular basis as well.

Smith and Bollig have really impressed this year but I still think Morin can push them. They'll have contracts that are easy to move if Morin surpasses them.

Also, having a wing like Morin can give you the flexibility to deal a guy like Bickel or Versteeg if the situation arises at some point.

I think it makes a lot of sense if he signs for the right price. But like you said, it's all up to him. Also depends what Stan thinks about the other prospects in the system. If he has really high on some other guys in the system who could fill in on the wing next year I'd be all for trying to get compensated for Morin at the draft.

SLarmer28*

Smith and Bollig have really impressed this year but I still think Morin can push them. They'll have contracts that are easy to move if Morin surpasses them.
Morin is not on par defensively with Bollig or Smith.

Also, having a wing like Morin can give you the flexibility to deal a guy like Bickel or Versteeg if the situation arises at some point.
Bickell, this season, has made a mockery of his 4 year/$16 million contract. It's time to ship Bickell out before his value completely drops to zero. One last deal for Stan Bowman to make with Dale Tallon.

Nothingman*

I am not as worried about Hayes. And watching him play several games this year, I am not seeing him as something fantastic. He has a ways to go before he is NHL ready.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It's based on Myers tweeting that the Hawks didn't expect to sign him 2-3 weeks ago.

There were other reports since then refuting that. I don't think anyone outside of Hayes and his agent and maybe family really know what their thoughts and intentions are.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
There were other reports since then refuting that. I don't think anyone outside of Hayes and his agent and maybe family really know what their thoughts and intentions are.

Yeah, there was an ESPN Chicago interview where the host said he spoke with Maciver and Maciver said they intend on signing Kayes.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If I'm Stan I'm making it known there is a some chance Teuvo ends up at wing and the 2C spot is certainly up for grabs with McNeil and Danault both projecting out as wingers as well. If that doesn't sound attractive to him to come here and try to win that job, let him run off to a basement team if that is what he wants to do.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
He's saying Stan should make it clear to Hayes that 2C is a spot he can win. If that doesn't sound attractive to Hayes, then Hayes can go to a basement team if he'd prefer that.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If I'm Stan I'm making it known there is a some chance Teuvo ends up at wing and the 2C spot is certainly up for grabs with McNeil and Danault both projecting out as wingers as well. If that doesn't sound attractive to him to come here and try to win that job, let him run off to a basement team if that is what he wants to do.

I love the Hawks, but if I'm Hayes' agent, I'm telling him to test FA. Hawks forward roster is going to be one of the toughest to crack going forward, and Hayes is almost certainly looking at $1.1M (rookie max) if he's playing in the NHL compared to less than $0.1M if he's playing in the AHL. I figure he's going to be making the rookie max (or close to it), because teams won't have much leverage with Hayes being able to negotiate with every team (but still has to sign an ELC).

Certainly, if he can make the Hawks roster he'd likely be better off than on a team like EDM, CAR, or FLA, but it's REALLY hard to pass up on $1-2M (depending if Hayes needs 1-2 years in the AHL before making the Hawks) when you're a kid who might not end up having an NHL career.

I guess I'd just say try to put yourself in his shoes, and not just think of the situation like a Hawks fan when intrepreting what Kevin Hayes ends up doing.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
It's based on Myers tweeting that the Hawks didn't expect to sign him 2-3 weeks ago.

Scott Powers said they planned on signing him. Not that I trust Powers (I seldom glance at ESPN and I'm not very familiar with Powers) over Myers but the Hawks front office seems to avoid direct language if something is a little fuzzy in most cases. It appeared that Maciver answered the question in plain language, at least the I'm lead to believe that by the answer to this question:

Hi Scott: Did you see the following tweet from Tracey Myers yesterday: "If you're talking Kevin Hayes I've heard the 'Hawks won't be signing him. Just what I've heard, tho." I'm pretty sure Hawks want to sign him, but maybe he doesn't like the logjam at wing. Have YOU heard anything?
Scott Powers
(2:55 PM)

Moose, I brought up that rumor to Maciver today, and he said they fully anticipate signing Hayes when his season is done. He didn't expect a problem with signing him or Stephen Johns. Maciver was pretty open too because he said they were still evaluating whether to sign Justin Holl and said they wouldn't be signing Gotovets.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chicago/chat/_/id/50290

One of the very few and far between occasions where ESPN had something interesting for me. I may have missed it if someone had posted this already.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Still think they'll sign Hayes, but I wouldn't blame him for signing someplace where he can make more of an immediate impact.

Would be surprised if they sign Holl.

Nothingman*

He is a huge project. Part of that comes form UM playing him at W for a year or two. But either way he is not a D stud by any means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad