Blackhawk say ducks were biggest obstacle to cup

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
...thank you, Hawks?

The words feel weird in my mouth.

It kinda annoys me a little bit - I'm getting like a tongue-in-cheek vibe.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Can we raise a banner for that?

Apparently we can raise banners for that and our 2014 "would have beaten the kings if not for late game one goal against" series. They're both as good as cups around here to some.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Makes me sad we didn`t made it work - if you think about it, we most likely needed only one win ir G6 or G7 to win the cup - i believe we would also would beat Lightning.

But also makes me encouraged of what this team can do.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
Honestly, this makes me feel a little better (even though I already knew the truth). I was super pissed when Duncan Keith said the Tampa was by far their toughest opponent/series right after they won the Stanley Cup.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Can we raise a banner for that?

the colts did

screen-shot-2015-06-11-at-4-08-03-pm.png

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
But also makes me encouraged of what this team can do.

That's my takeaway from this. Not that they should deserve some pat on the back, but rather give confidence that this team is for real and can do some great things next year.

It also should make one appreciate them a little more. They didn't win, but I'm not of the belief that only one team in a given year is championship-calibre, and perhaps this team was on that level. The quote about it being the toughest series in years is especially interesting, given the Hawks won 10 over that span and lost to the Kings. Yet that's the one that stood out, apparently.

vavera4ka

Quack! Quack!
Dec 27, 2014
twitter.com
That series looked kinda like Anaheim-Detroit in 2007.
Wings did ok next year.
In fact, it seems that in the past decade very often an "almost equal" loser of WCF went on to win the Cup the next year. I don't mind if that trends continues :)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That's in the Sharks regular season champions banner bad category

For whatever reason, the Colts have always done this, people just figured it out this spring. It's weird, but there's at least a sense to it. The Sharks one was completely redundant, given they won the President's trophy.

The Sharks also get way too much flack for that. They weren't the first or last team to do it.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
This entire issue is overblown. I can't say I've seen a single Ducks fan that was satisfied with the way the season ended, let alone celebrating it like we won a cup. Some are less comfortable with the way we lost than others, which is fair. Being overly positive would lead to ignorance in regard to the areas where we still have untapped or un-fulfilled potential, while overly pessimistic views would infer the risk of over-correction and moving further away from winning a cup, which we factually were very close to, which this source only further indicates (not that it would really need this). That very obviously doesn't mean anyone is or should be happy or content, but it also doesn't mean we're not on the right track.

Whether one believes we're following that track is more of a matter for the lineup talks, IMO. This is just what it is. No stuff banners are made of, but also not stuff a franchise's approach needs to be re-evaluated over. We were close, but being in the "painfully" close range doesn't render the effort any less remarkable, as long as nobody mistakes it for actual triumph, which in reality nobody does.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
That's my takeaway from this. Not that they should deserve some pat on the back, but rather give confidence that this team is for real and can do some great things next year.

It also should make one appreciate them a little more. They didn't win, but I'm not of the belief that only one team in a given year is championship-calibre, and perhaps this team was on that level. The quote about it being the toughest series in years is especially interesting, given the Hawks won 10 over that span and lost to the Kings. Yet that's the one that stood out, apparently.

Almost certainly recency bias.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
That series looked kinda like Anaheim-Detroit in 2007.
Wings did ok next year.
In fact, it seems that in the past decade very often an "almost equal" loser of WCF went on to win the Cup the next year. I don't mind if that trends continues :)

Totally agree. If you re-watch that series a lot of bounces went our way. I mean if Detroit is able to clear the puck at the end of Game 5 there's a good chance we don't have a Stanley Cup banner hanging from the rafters. Now it's not a given that we'll take the same path as Detroit but it is encouraging that such a precedent has been established.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad