Movies: Black Widow - heading to Disney +

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
TM already has those Black Panther and Cap moves
He's also rewatching the MCU

I have that feeling that TM is using Task Force (Ross) to draw Romanoff out. for revenge on something that was mentiobed by Loki in A1 : Drakov's daughter or the hospital fire

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
You mean her backstory as a trained KGB agent/assassin who was forced to give up her ability to have children etc. They likely would also include Cliff Barton as some point if they decide to make it somewhat similar to the comics.
Agreed. She has by far the most interesting backstory, because she's not just another superpowered hero. Skip Cliff, bring in Daredevil.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Agreed. She has by far the most interesting backstory, because she's not just another superpowered hero. Skip Cliff, bring in Daredevil.

She did have a relationship with him in the comics but alas I think this will be the last we see of the character barring a miracle that she is somehow resurrected.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
John Campea said on his show that he's gotten word from multiple sources that at a Disney investor's meeting on December 10th, they will announce Black Widow going to Disney+.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
John Campea said on his show that he's gotten word from multiple sources that at a Disney investor's meeting on December 10th, they will announce Black Widow going to Disney+.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

With HD TV's and surround sound I would prefer to pay extra to watch a movie at home then a theater.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

With HD TV's and surround sound I would prefer to pay extra to watch a movie at home then a theater.

Makes sense. Also, it's relatively lucky timing for Marvel because it feels like BW is probably going to be a more minor movie in the scheme of things. Not that it won't be good or enjoyable, but the nature of it (flashback, now dead character) makes it feel a little more like it's filler and less essential. i.e. it's good one to test home release on versus say another Guardians, Thor or Black Panther movie, which would likely be better bets to earn more at the box office.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm skeptical that they'll bypass theatres. With vaccine news out, there's a lot of optimism that things may look a lot more normal by the summer.

They've already moved it to May, when US vaccines could be in full swing.

We'll see though. The recent restructure around D+ may change a lot of the thinking around these things, but, I think Disney has a lot of motivation to see theatre business return.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm skeptical that they'll bypass theatres. With vaccine news out, there's a lot of optimism that things may look a lot more normal by the summer.

We'll see though. The recent restructure around D+ may change a lot of the thinking around these things, but, I think Disney has a lot of motivation to see theatre business return.

Next Fall/winter is the one that's being talked about being normal. Just because vaccines might be ready, it's take some time before everyone has taken it. Some people will refuse to take it.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Black Widow movie is a sure thing to make good bucks at the box office. I can't see how Disney would pass that opportunity. Disney has taken a hit from corona, but overall they'll be fine and don't have a desperate need for money so they don't have to put it on D+ for 30 dollars out of desperation. If the Paramount Decree is history maybe Disney buys some theatres and plays their postponed films 24/7 and makes more money through concessions and from keeping the full ticket price for themselves.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Black Widow movie is a sure thing to make good bucks at the box office. I can't see how Disney would pass that opportunity. Disney has taken a hit from corona, but overall they'll be fine and don't have a desperate need for money so they don't have to put it on D+ for 30 dollars out of desperation. If the Paramount Decree is history maybe Disney buys some theatres and plays their postponed films 24/7 and makes more money through concessions and from keeping the full ticket price for themselves.

Wonder Woman '84 went to HBO Max on December 25th.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Wonder Woman '84 went to HBO Max on December 25th.

It will be on HBO Max for one month. It will also be screened in theatres in USA and be released internationally on 16th of December in theatres. The theatre run will continue as long as it is profitable. The move to put it on HBO Max is likely due to Warner Bros wanting to increase HBO Max subsciption numbers. Wonder Woman film is a good film for that as it appeals to a lot of people and it is a sequel to a popular predecessor.

Yep, I think this is the beginning of a change on how movies are released.

I doubt it. It is difficult to make money through streaming services. Skipping theatre release means leaving a lot of money on the table and a 200+ million dollar film isn't going to break even without theatre release. Films make money through numerous cycles in different channels. First you put in in theatres. You get a share of the ticket. Then you start leasing the rights to pay-per-view, cable, streaming, DVD releases and television. You can ask for more money if the film was a hit in theatres. Then of course there is merchandising, which can be extremely lucrative for some franchises. If you take the first step away you are losing money and it is difficult to create hype for the film making it popular. Premieres and opening weekends are big events. Release on streaming service isn't.

Maybe in the future studios and streaming platforms figure out something new, but now the business model doesn't look good for the studios.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would be really really surprised. Mulan didn't do particularly well at $30 a shot with estimates at about $100M, though that all goes to Disney as they don't have to share with theaters. Not everyone wants to pay $30+ to rent a movie...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Would be really really surprised. Mulan didn't do particularly well at $30 a shot with estimates at about $100M, though that all goes to Disney as they don't have to share with theaters. Not everyone wants to pay $30+ to rent a movie...

Campea said last Friday on his show about Wonder Woman possibly going to HBO Max/streaming. On Thursday's show he talked about hearing about the exact date even. But he couldn't say that last week. Turned out his source was 100% correct.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

Or might it be used as a lure to get more people to subscribe? I suspect a lot of interested parties already have Disney+ so how many more customers are to be gained? But investors love growth stories and buzz. You could argue the real goal is to continue to drive those subscriber numbers more than one-time rental payments.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Isn't Wandavision dropping in January? You'd think that's enough of a draw to get Marvel fans to D+. It's a series as well, so, they'll get more mileage out of it than a single movie.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Or might it be used as a lure to get more people to subscribe? I suspect a lot of interested parties already have Disney+ so how many more customers are to be gained? But investors love growth stories and buzz. You could argue the real goal is to continue to drive those subscriber numbers more than one-time rental payments.
In that case you are trying to convince someone that hasn't already signed up to not only pay the rental fee but also the monthly fee...is the movie worth $40+?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
In that case you are trying to convince someone that hasn't already signed up to not only pay the rental fee but also the monthly fee...is the movie worth $40+?

I have no clue. Just pointing out there may be other motivations beyond just the rental revenue. If you follow any of the business chatter about the streaming services it's all growth, growth growth. A stagnating subscriber base is seen as a problem. (Not that Disney is stagnating ... )

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00