Movies: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Someone on TicTok had a horrible suggestion about the movie. Not surprised anymore, it's sadly the norm these days.

It's been removed from TicTok but a bunch of articles/sites have it. Not worth getting into how wrong it is (it's worth a discussion but not here).
Ya saw it and it's a dumb idea.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Does the current King/Queen of Wakanda automatically become Black Panther?

The problem with having the 95lb tech nerd take over as Black Panther is that it was clearly established in the first film that anyone can become ruler of Wakanda by challenging and beating the current ruler in a fight

So, at any point going forward, any man and half the women in Wakanda could usurp Shuri if they wanted to, and wouldn't break a sweat in the process

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I will likely watch it but I am having a hard time caring as much without Boseman, which obviously isn't their fault and having Shuri replace him as the Black Panther....like I said I will give the movie a shot but I still need to be sold on this.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Does the current King/Queen of Wakanda automatically become Black Panther?

The problem with having the 95lb tech nerd take over as Black Panther is that it was clearly established in the first film that anyone can become ruler of Wakanda by challenging and beating the current ruler in a fight

So, at any point going forward, any man and half the women in Wakanda could usurp Shuri if they wanted to, and wouldn't break a sweat in the process
Not sure how the MCU will handle it but the person making the challenge has to have a claim to it via lineage in one of the clans that live in Wakanda if I recall. So not just anyone can make a challenge and not at just any time.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I'd be the least surprised if Shuri did end up becoming the Black Panther but I'm still not convinced the promotion isn't being intentionally misleading pointing in her direction. I wouldn't be shocked if Okoye or Nakia took up the mantle or if all three did.

I'm almost expecting an incomplete scene with them debating who should become the Black Panther as the climax approaches, the next scenes start with a costumed Black Panther that is eventually revealed to be Shuri,only for Okoye to show up as a Black Panther as well to turn the tide against the Submariner.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I'd be the least surprised if Shuri did end up becoming the Black Panther but I'm still not convinced the promotion isn't being intentionally misleading pointing in her direction. I wouldn't be shocked if Okoye or Nakia took up the mantle or if all three did.

I'm almost expecting an incomplete scene with them debating who should become the Black Panther as the climax approaches, the next scenes start with a costumed Black Panther that is eventually revealed to be Shuri,only for Okoye to show up as a Black Panther as well to turn the tide against the Submariner.
I could see them doing something like that, but increase the cheese factor by 100 by saying that the Black Panther mantle isn't just for one person, it's for everyone who loves and wants to protect Wakanda.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure how the MCU will handle it but the person making the challenge has to have a claim to it via lineage in one of the clans that live in Wakanda if I recall. So not just anyone can make a challenge and not at just any time.
That’s what they showed in the first movie. Should be consistent with that.

Sep 19, 2008
I usually go on a review embargo and omit any spoilers, even little details, that aren't in the trailers but I went to RT today to check the reviews and they seem good. I did this because I will unfortunately not be able to see the film tomorrow like I normally would do for any opening movie. Fact is I might not be able to see it until Saturday.

So far the movie looks good so that's good to hear

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
I usually go on a review embargo and omit any spoilers, even little details, that aren't in the trailers but I went to RT today to check the reviews and they seem good. I did this because I will unfortunately not be able to see the film tomorrow like I normally would do for any opening movie. Fact is I might not be able to see it until Saturday.

So far the movie looks good so that's good to hear
I stopped going by the critic reviews on RT a good while ago. Too many 1 or 2 line hyper-positive reviews that just praise a movie without giving any detail whatsoever as to why. Reads like bought and paid for reviews.

There are some that got to see it early and have already put their opinions out. A mixed bag. A couple really liked it, a few others absolutely hated it. Liked it or not, there were a couple common points. It was long and it wasn't really upbeat. Not the best news for repeated viewings.

Personally, I haven't liked what I've seen so far in the trailers and elsewhere. Saw a screencap of the Ironheart suit yesterday; just, no.
But that's me. If anyone else is looking forward to it, go for it. I'll be sitting this one out.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for this movie to live up to the hype and reviews of the first one. Of course, given that the actor who played the main character has died this is inevitable, but it doesn't help that the powers-that-be have decided to cast an unlikeable person as the new Black Panther.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for this movie to live up to the hype and reviews of the first one. Of course, given that the actor who played the main character has died this is inevitable, but it doesn't help that the powers-that-be have decided to cast an unlikeable person as the new Black Panther.
How is she unlikeable?

Reactions: John Price

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
How is she unlikeable?
pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Yup, that's pretty much how I look/feel from the Marvel offerings in the last few years (with the exception of Spiderman).

But like I said, that's just me. If you want to see it and/or really enjoy it, great. I sure as hell can't throw stones about others enjoyment of movies, TV, entertainment in general.

An example: Out Cold. Seen it a bunch of times, always entertaining to me. It is objectively a bad movie; it would take twice as long as the movie itself to point out all that's wrong with it. But I have and always will love it. To each their own.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yup, that's pretty much how I look/feel from the Marvel offerings in the last few years (with the exception of Spiderman).

But like I said, that's just me. If you want to see it and/or really enjoy it, great. I sure as hell can't throw stones about others enjoyment of movies, TV, entertainment in general.

An example: Out Cold. Seen it a bunch of times, always entertaining to me. It is objectively a bad movie; it would take twice as long as the movie itself to point out all that's wrong with it. But I have and always will love it. To each their own.
67210d3592f41e76a8f93bc2f244d9ae8a87f80a13cfe2b69db829a0ae3f56f2.jpg

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Hockey 4 everyone

Sep 29, 2017
saw this last night, and it was really great. really in the top tier of marvel movies.

the acting, plot, effects, villain, soundtrack, social overtones... everything came together to make a great movie.

i am a comic fan and i was very curious (maybe mildly concerned) to see how they did with namor and his civilization it was great.

i can't believe they pulled this off. what a movie.

Hockey 4 everyone

Sep 29, 2017
my wife does not particularly like superhero movies. she has seen a decent number of MCU movies because of me, and enjoyed a few of them (spiderman movies, end game).

she thought this was the best marvel movie she has seen.

they really did an amazing job in making a great movie that also is a great comic book movie and a powerful meditation on grief/mourning (both individual and societal).

what a triumph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad