Black Friday Massacre Sens @ Panthers

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
definitely could use a fisher

what did we get for fisher? noesen? and?

edit: jarrod maidens

(oops?)

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Dear God. Ryan has been playing well, on a bit of a point streak prior to this, called out for tremendous defensive play on a bunch of occasions and now he's a scrub?

goldfish-o.gif

Andy complimenting Neil and ripping team for not playing together. Andy would like to see less oddman rushes lol

Good for Andy. Needed to be said from him tonight.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
How many points even strength do Turris, Mac and Chiasson have since being put together? I'm going to assume not more than 2 each. I don't understand how they were still together for this game.

I agree, that line has been atrocious. Stone, Ryan or bust.

Stop using Chiasson there, he isn't first line material.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Andy also keyed in on maybe they didnt respect Florida. Lmao they were on the beach this morning playing Frisbee. They went to the beach instead of a morning skate i believe lololol

BigBush*

Dear God. Ryan has been playing well, on a bit of a point streak prior to this, called out for tremendous defensive play on a bunch of occasions and now he's a scrub?

goldfish-o.gif

Good for Andy. Needed to be said from him tonight.

Sorry Ryan has not been playing well. He's had good shifts here and there but has been invisible for the most part

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Here's my assessment of the number of rosters that our players could crack in the NHL right now.

All 30 rosters: Mac, Turris, Ryan, Karlsson, Chiasson, Methot, Andy, Lehner
25-30 rosters: Michalek, Zib, Ceci,
20-25 rosters: Neil, Hoff
15-20 rosters: Smith, Lazar, Stone
10-15 rosters: Boro, Cowen
5-10 rosters: Greening, Condra, Gryba, Weir
0-5 rosters: Philips

Our defence is really the weak point of this team. I think most of our defence wouldn't play on half the teams in this league.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
Even after that win in St Louis, I did not feel this team was that much better. It was a gutsy win, but in recent games, I think they are showing what they really are, when you have a typical second line centre pretending to be No. 1, and a typical number 3 or 4 centre (Smith) pretending to be No 2, and so on, you are going to win fewer than you lose unfortunately.

Legwand looks like he is just a 3rd liner right now. But thanks to him, Greening and Michalek, we are able to reach the floor. I am starting to think that is the whole point of having them here.

I don't know if coaching change is going to solve anything. You do get what you paid for most times in life, so it is not that surprising they lose. I would bet we are not much better than Edm or Buffalo if we swap goalies with them.

I did not have any expectations with the team coming into the season, and I wouldn't mind if they get a top 5 pick this draft, since there is good chance we may get a true No 1 centre in that range, and ship out even more players like Michalek and Legwand at the deadline. It could be a good thing, then maybe try to lure a guy like Bylsma or if we get super lucky - Babcock.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Karlsson will never win the Norris again. Yeah I said it....

Way too many minutes for him and he was soft all over the ice. Then again so were most of D men.

Never is a long time but he certainly needs to tidy up his own end.
Missing the playoffs this year might be what he needs.

You need dmen that can move the puck and defend the entry into the zone. We aint winning **** with this D corp.

Gryba - slow
Phillips - slow
Cowen - slow cant pivot
Wiercioch - slow, soft and hard time pivoting
Karlsson - Kaptain Turnover
Ceci - Best overall D man we have and he's 21!
Borowiecki- heart and grit, but slow
Methot - our only hope?

Winnah!
We have too many big slow stupid d-men. This is a throwback to Murray's loving a big grindy game of hockey, which is fine...in 2003. It's ten years later though and now you need mobility on every pairing.

Absolutely brutal getting 40+ shots against from the Panthers.
Must rebound against Tampa Bay or they're looking at a long road to the playoffs.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
What's the over/under on shots against in the upcoming battle with Stamkos' Lightning? 52?

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't think anyone is saying bring back spezza

What ppl are saying is that we need a number 1 center this reminds me of the days where we had white as our top center

For me its a pretty big "told you so" to all the morons who blamed all of our defensive woes on one player for the last decade.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
This is still the youngest team in the league right? Did that change all of a sudden?

No, it isnt. Its the most inexperienced though.

Ottawa is the 4th youngest. Have always felt this is a bit of a dumb "stat". The difference between the youngest and 2nd oldest is a whopping 2 years.

JBucephalus

Jan 8, 2013
Karlsson did not show a whole lot of effort out there, neither did anyone on the team really. It's just such a noticeable contrast with him when he's giving his full effort and when he is floating. He still made a couple of good plays though.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
this is a young team coming off a major win. I expected a let down. nothing to worry about, carry on. i have no worries at all about the progress of this team. sorry guys.

I would appreciate your optimism if it didn't strike me mostly as denial.

This team is mediocre, and I can't fool myself otherwise. We're going to win some but lose more, and the playoffs seem like an unattainable goal to me. Inconsistency might seem like progress to you, but to me it feels more like idling, and big changes will need to be made to take further steps in the right direction.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I would appreciate your optimism if it didn't strike me mostly as denial.

This team is mediocre, and I can't fool myself otherwise. We're going to win some but lose more, and the playoffs seem like an unattainable goal to me. Inconsistency might seem like progress to you, but to me it feels more like idling, and big changes will need to be made to take further steps in the right direction.

So then we get a shot at McDavid and our young guys get a year of development. Big whoop.

Plus for all you guys who seem to hate veterans, you're one year closer to having whipping boys, Phillips, Neil and Legwand off the team. Win-win, no?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yup.

Although some people want to believe spending does not matter, and you are the 30th out of 30 in spending you end up having a 5/6 D in your top pairing, maybe 3 top 6 forwards, etc. Players with marginal talent are forced to play above their level and as a result they end up failing. People read this as a system problem when it is a depth of skill problem.

I shudder to think where we would be without Andy and Lehner's stellar play this season.
I don't think it's an either/or proposition: we certainly lack talent due to budget, but we could also do better with what we got.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So then we get a shot at McDavid and our young guys get a year of development. Big whoop.

Plus for all you guys who seem to hate veterans, you're one year closer to having whipping boys, Phillips, Neil and Legwand off the team. Win-win, no?

That's just the thing, mediocrity doesn't get us McDavid. I think we'll finish between 10-12th in the east and draft outside the top five, which is still good, but won't get us that generational talent other teams that are really crappy get when tanking.

And also, yes, the kids get a year of development, but our kids aren't exactly stars either. We'll eventually need to bring in top-6 talent from the outside.

And a year from now Michalek will still have two years remaining on his contract. Not a win.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
That's just the thing, mediocrity doesn't get us McDavid. I think we'll finish between 10-12th in the east and draft outside the top five, which is still good, but won't get us that generational talent other teams that are really crappy get when tanking.

And also, yes, the kids get a year of development, but our kids aren't exactly stars either. We'll eventually need to bring in top-6 talent from the outside.

And a year from now Michalek will still have two years remaining on his contract. Not a win.

Would you rather stay mediocre and be a bubble team hopefully drafting your star players due to good scouting or would you risk toiling as a league bottom feeder potentially ending up like Edmonton or Atlanta and never finishing the rebuild. You could end up like L.A, Pitt, Chicago but is it worth the risk of ending up like a joke of a franchise. Might not even be an option to blow it up since when the sens arent competitive the attendance suffers

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Well, let's see, what were the differences in the roster between this game and the one against St-Louis?

Boro out, Phillips in
Greening out, Michalek in.

I think at this point Greening and Michalek are pretty much interchangeable, so that can't be the problem.

I said it before the game started that with Boro out, our LD looked very bad (Cowen excepted), and this was confirmed during the game. When you're paring Phillips with Karlsson, you are taking away his effectiveness. The opponent can double-team or triple-team Karlsson and leave Phillips alone. Boro is no better stick-handler than Phillips necessarily, but he brings the intimidation factor, and that alone sometimes helps us keep the play in the opponent's zone. Phillips can just contain the opponent but he keeps them in our zone. And he also makes terrible decisions with the puck.

Our top D pairing right now is Cowen - Ceci. They deserve more ice-time. Karlsson can make up his ice-time deficit on the PP. And he needs to be paired with Wiercioch while Boro and Methot are out. I'm no fan of Wiercioch, but pairing Karlsson with someone who can handle the puck and contribute to the breakout helps us not only get our of our zone, but to get in the O-zone with more authority and to stay there.

Phillips should get very minimal ES time, and he can get plenty on the PK.

Gryba is fine.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Barfffff, florida passed us with this game too. But still, screw off with mcdavid talk

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I don't think it's an either/or proposition: we certainly lack talent due to budget, but we could also do better with what we got.

True.

I focus more on the D though, which is what it is with this current group. We are better with Boro in the lineup, but not by a huge amount. No amount of shuffling of these guys will consistently and significantly change things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad