Post-Game Talk: Birds that can’t fly @ Majestic eagles 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Vanecek wasn't terrible but it would have been nice if he could have bailed out the defense atleast once.
I still think Vanecek plays small when he is in the butterfly. He leaves alot of room, especially upstairs.

100%. VV is listed as 6'1" 181 lbs, but when he goes down in the butterfly it's like Daren Pang size if he were a butterfly goalie! What I saw from VV tonight is the same issues where he was scored on in the other games against the Pens. All 5 Pens goals, there was too much angle to shoot at. Vitek was playing too deep in his crease and he was slow on some of his reads. He played too timid becuz he's a rookie goalie that relies on his defense's positioning too much. In the 1-0 shutout of the Isles, Vitek was hardly tested and faced only 18 shots. Pens doubled that and their shot selection was far better than what the Isles had done. If you look at VV draft/scouting reports, he's skilled but raw and needs to become more consistent. I don't see him being better than a long term backup goalie.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
You can't expect the Capitals to defensively shut it down like they did to the Islanders every game, especially to a strong offensive team like the Penguins. They are going to give up scoring chances and the goalie has to make some difficult saves. Yes there was some bad turnovers and defensive plays but Vanecek wasn't up to that task tonight and he was the main reason they lost. Jarry covered for more mistakes, turnovers and bad defence on the Penguins side.

That is the biggest difference between VV and Sammy. Sammy can cover up defensive mistakes a lot better than Vitek can. Vitek needs more Team D structure in front of him. He doesn't have the size and athleticism to cover up breakdowns.

Reactions: maacoshark and um

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Play like this and get average goaltending and they win that game by multiple goals most nights.

upload_2021-4-30_7-24-57.png

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
How many on here have played goalie or are currently playing as a hockey goalie?
I can’t speak for everyone else but I played goalie up until high school and then switched to center. Player center through college (albeit the club team at Western Michigan).

That being said, they don’t preface when asking Alan May about a goalies play with, “Alan, what do you think of VVs game, albeit you didn’t play goalie”...

Reactions: Neil Racki

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
How many on here have played goalie or are currently playing as a hockey goalie?
I played goalie back in the 80s. It was alot different back then. It was more stand up and cutting down angles.
I understand that goalies need to use the butterfly to cover the bottom of the net. More so on lateral passing plays. But I don't understand why goalies are going down on long range shots. The goal that Kapanen put upstairs. Vanecek didn't need to go down. It was long enough away and on enough of an angle that standing up and cutting down the angle would have been the better option. If he stands up there that puck hits him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I played goalie back in the 80s. It was alot different back then. It was more stand up and cutting down angles.
I understand that goalies need to use the butterfly to cover the bottom of the net. More so on lateral passing plays. But I don't understand why goalies are going down on long range shots. The goal that Kapanen put upstairs. Vanecek didn't need to go down. It was long enough away and on enough of an angle that standing up and cutting down the angle would have been the better option. If he stands up there that puck hits him.

The 4th goal was soft but is inside the face off dots close long range to you? The reason they go down is that if they dont the biggest holes they have is the 5 hole. Its a much easier shot to hit a standing 5 hole than an inside 20ft top corner

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Guys, was Sprong benched in the 3rd? I woke up am 3:30am my time (the Netherlands), with around ten minutes left in the game, but didn't see Sprong on the ice at all?

Sprong last came off the ice at 54:22. So he didnt play the final 5 mins and OT. Sheary didnt play either in that stretch. Lavy went with the top 2 lines between then and when they pulled the goalie.

Reactions: Neptune Towers

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Pretty even game.

It looked like occasionally Caps didn't appreciate how intense Pens' forecheck is and forwards left their D-men without good outlet options. Pens and Caps are similar teams in terms of quality of depth in that any line can score and capitalize on mistakes and turnovers.

Backstrom absolutely shouldn't be trying to make that pass on the first goal against. That to me is underestimating your opponent. Wilson with a soft play on the boards on the 3rd goal against. Mantha won't be winning any Selkes any time soon. So little separates these two teams that I feel whichever team makes the least of these mistakes, will take a playoff series.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

You and I are on the same page. I think a lot of goalies misuse the butterfly. The technique/mechanics has changed a bit, but the concept is still the same. You go into the butterfly to take away the lower part of the net and when there is traffic in front or possible deflection/redirect. When it's a clean shot through, the goalie should stay upright unless it's a low shot. Something I also noticed. If VV doesn't read the play right, he will go down in the butterfly early.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The 4th goal was soft but is inside the face off dots close long range to you? The reason they go down is that if they dont the biggest holes they have is the 5 hole. Its a much easier shot to hit a standing 5 hole than an inside 20ft top corner
Not if your goalie stick is in proper place to limit the five-hole opening. Shooters only have about a few split seconds to pick an opening. Good goalies disguise or take away shooting options from a shooter. Vitek hasn't learned to do that yet, as he still reacting to a good deal of shots(more experience will allow him to force a shooter to shoot to Vitek's strengths). He needs to learn when going down in the butterfly, he's leaving big holes stick-side/glove-side top corner. Vitek compacts too much in his butterfly on some longer range shots. Even a lift of the shoulder/elbow can make some saves on high shots in the butterfly.

Reactions: maacoshark

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not if your goalie stick is in proper place to limit the five-hole opening. Shooters only have about a few split seconds to pick an opening. Good goalies disguise or take away shooting options from a shooter. Vitek hasn't learned to do that yet, as he still reacting to a good deal of shots(more experience will allow him to force a shooter to shoot to Vitek's strengths). He needs to learn when going down in the butterfly, he's leaving big holes stick-side/glove-side top corner. Vitek compacts too much in his butterfly on some longer range shots. Even a lift of the shoulder/elbow can make some saves on high shots in the butterfly.

ok...with good stick placement there should never be a 5 hole goal. I shouldnt have brought it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad