Billy Beane to leave A's as part of blockbuster merger

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They offered Damon and Giambi fair deals before they left. They chose to take Ny/Bos money in fa.

That was my point, ownership was too cheap to match. I don't doubt they offered fair deals, but they didn't seem all that interested in matching. I don't disagree with that either, as they clearly made out just fine and that sparked the Moneyball era.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That was my point, ownership was too cheap to match. I don't doubt they offered fair deals, but they didn't seem all that interested in matching. I don't disagree with that either, as they clearly made out just fine and that sparked the Moneyball era.

Meh, I can understand not getting into a bidding war. You make your pitch that you feel is fair. Giambi and Damon used that to leverage higher deals from big market clubs. So now you have to overpay on your original offer? Not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Meh, I can understand not getting into a bidding war. You make your pitch that you feel is fair. Giambi and Damon used that to leverage higher deals from big market clubs. So now you have to overpay on your original offer. Not worth it.
and the 02 A's without their MVP 1B were even better than the 01 team

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Royals most definitely spent money in 2014 and 2015. More than half the teams in the league spent less than them when they won. Invalid argument there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad