Billy Beane to leave A's as part of blockbuster merger

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Beane was a good GM. Perhaps not good enough to have Brad Pitt play him in a movie, but still did better than most.

I really liked Moneyball but the lack of mention of Tejada (Royce Clayton played him lol) and their pitching staff was a little annoying. And the historical inaccuracies of the trades too. Giambi and Pena weren't traded the same day and Pena wasn't just traded for "a reliever and cash" he got traded for Ted Lilly in the 3 team deal that also included Jeff Weaver, Jeremy Bonderman and some spare parts lol.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
A's will be better to finally move on from Beane

He has always been overrated and never built a winner

Teams with far less financial means have built winners or contenders consistently so the claim that A's were held back by finances are always laughable

Thank you!!!

Most overrated GM in MLB history. Everyone talks about moneyball. 20 something game winning streak.

I think of only getting past the first round once. Where they were promptly swept by Detroit.

No postseason success whatsoever.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Thank you!!!

Most overrated GM in MLB history. Everyone talks about moneyball. 20 something game winning streak.

I think of only getting past the first round once. Where they were promptly swept by Detroit.

No postseason success whatsoever.

The fact he took low payroll teams to playoffs year after year is why he is rated so highly.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The fact he took low payroll teams to playoffs year after year is why he is rated so highly.

Yes. But those low payroll teams weren't exactly devoid of talent. It doesn't excuse blowing two 2-0 series. Three out of the four years they lost (00-03) were with HFA. All three times the season ended at home.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yes. But those low payroll teams weren't exactly devoid of talent. It doesn't excuse blowing two 2-0 series. Three out of the four years they lost (00-03) were with HFA. All three times the season ended at home.

Outside of the Rays which other low payroll team has had more success?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So he's been a great GM even though his team advanced past the 1st round once? At what point do results matter?

Results do matter but you can't deny the work he's done with limited payroll.

Rays with all their "success" have won exactly what?

Reactions: sjsharks92

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah, those early 00s A's teams choked a couple times. as if they're the only team to choke in the playoffs

TB aside, no other team that has a payroll as low as the A's year after year has managed to get into the playoffs as often as the A's have. beane sure as hell deserves credit for that

Reactions: darko

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
At least Beane got to see his A’s advance in the playoffs before he left.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I presume the A's selling off every good player as soon as it was time for a payday is because the owner is a cheap scumbag. In which case Beane did an admirable job.

Reactions: sjsharks92

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
saying St. Louis is a low payroll team is funny heh.
i mean, as a cards fan, i wish they spent more but still they are top 10-12.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
When did A's become such a cheap organization? They had All Star teams in the 80s.
mid 90s or so, when alderson was still GM. ownership ordered him to slash payroll and that's what got him to tinker with sabermetrics. beane was his assistant GM and once alderson left, beane took over and put what he had learned to use

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
When did A's become such a cheap organization? They had All Star teams in the 80s.

Well starting in the early 90s everyone got a new park meanwhile the A's still played in that 1960s multi-functional arena unattractive to well-heeled fans and more importantly without a ton of the commercial exploitation options common to newer parks. It probably would still have been okay if they hadn't been the #2 team in a market barely big enough to support 2 teams.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Cheap or not it makes 0 sense to spend a ton when you make nothing off your stadium and tv deal, especially when the rules were written to promote being cheaper. Rich people don't get and stay that way without looking out for the business first.

The league hasn't lifted a god damn finger to help Oakland with their stadium the way they have other cities.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
That is EXACTLY why he is such a good GM. Just because the talented teams he assembled on a miniscule payroll collapsed in the playoffs isn't an indictment of him. He was competing with teams with 3-4x the payroll of the A's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad