Confirmed with Link: Bill Zito is the Panthers new GM

Are you happy with the hire?

• Total voters

Vilam

#Catlantic
Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco
This is a great choice imo, I'm on board.

From CBJ website:

Former agent so he knows that side of the business well so I bet we won't be seeing anymore stupid contracts.

CBJ AHL team won a championship with him at the helm, and they managed to push on without any issues after losing Panarin, Bob, etc after last season. People describing him as "sharp", "brilliant," and "no-nonsense." Outside voice with no ties to anyone here which is great.

Thanks for the perspective. I've never heard of him before, but looking forward to seeing what he does.

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Seems like he's one of the best candidates out there to fix the developmental system, which imo is the org's biggest problem. I think we scout fine, something gets lost in translation between the good prospects getting picked....to them getting to the nhl as polished players. Plus he knows how to hire good personnel. Sounds like a savvy hire. Maybe John Viola does know what he's doing.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I would also take Zito over Gillis, simply because Zito has been in a front office since 2013 (7 seasons). Has the connections of people to fill out his management team and scouting department.

Gillis, hasn't been involved since 2014. Based on his radio interviews, he fancies himself more of a team president who can put an organization structure together. But, don't think he would come cheap, so it's more costs for a team.

This team also needs more building from the ground up than the mid 2000's Canucks did. They already had all their core pieces in place. Zito has actual experience building from the ground up.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think the only relationship he has here beside Bob is Kekalainen Brother who is one or maybe that Scout for the Florida Panthers. Is hard to believe Zitto doesnt knwo Jari, Jarmo is Columbus GM.
And then he also knows Janne who works in Nashville.

I let me surprise what he can do and what he brings in. This will not be easy and not tough, since everyone watching him, the first GM after a lot of Time.

Jere spends most of his time in Finland, so its understandable.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
My first response was “who tf is that?,” and was pulling for Armstrong, but after reading @RT’s post and reading up on Zito, I like this hire.

Kekoleinen (sp) is a great GM imo. Not afraid to make ballsy trades (Jones), sounds wisely, and everyone noticed how good they still were this season. Zito has a good resume, here’s hoping the success follows him and he can work through the BS.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
This is a great choice imo, I'm on board.

From CBJ website:

Former agent so he knows that side of the business well so I bet we won't be seeing anymore stupid contracts.

CBJ AHL team won a championship with him at the helm, and they managed to push on without any issues after losing Panarin, Bob, etc after last season. People describing him as "sharp", "brilliant," and "no-nonsense." Outside voice with no ties to anyone here which is great.

Thx for the scoop but, honestly, it's time for you to go away now, Dale. Go practice your golf swing.

:)

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Interesting that he went from being a co-founder of Acme to then going to the organization side and working his way up there.

Cool and interesting background on him.

He handled some decent contracts in his agent career.

Hopefully we see a welcomed change in how this team hands out contracts moving forward.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Panthers hire Blue Jackets' Bill Zito as general manager

"He’s the most well-rounded candidate that we came across,” Panthers President Matthew Caldwell, who led the search, told The Associated Press. “He’s very intelligent, went to Yale, played college hockey, built his own agency. He went to a great organization like Columbus, a smaller market where they’ve built a great fan base. He understands how to make a place a great destination for players to go to. That really jumped out at us."

I wouldn't describe Columbus being a wanted destination. I dunno what Caldwell's process of thought is in this one...

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
If he can get this team to play as hard as Columbus I’m all for that. Sick of watching uninspired hockey.

well, i don't think he has anything to do with how hard they play.

but he at least has been part of management that put together a team with an identity. that's something tallon has not been able to do here.

also, he's worked as part of a team that accomplished this without spending to the cap, which i think may be the most important factor.

i'm in on board, though. i think he at least fits the profile of the type of person we need. and thank heavens we didn't hire edzo or some other talking head with no experience in the front office.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Reactions: Laus723

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It’s a selling point on a short resume.
Eh I’d give a different interpretation:

Those from the North, especially NYC, view elite education as a quality signal. Is it much of a signal here for the context? Not sure; but I do think it picks up that he is well educated and probably pretty smart, which might contrast to Tallon’s background.

Now consider that the owners are all in high finance where education brand is key and well we can see why.

(Personally I am not sure how much it matters in general but I could see it helping a lot with say communicating with the ownership group and showing breadth outside of well hockey.)

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Imagine being named captain of a sinking ship.

9959901543_3ca750b2a6_b.jpg

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Brian Burke likes the hire FWIW, says Zito has negotiated on both sides of the table and has good relationships with other GM's around the league.

Very articulate and been around the game for a while now.
Burke was asked whats his next move regarding the team (UFAs/staff hiring etc).

Burke replied with whats the cap limit, is there an internal cap which seems likely now but said his first thing is to focus on the draft and worry about the other things (UFA's/staff hiring) after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad