News Article: Bill Spaulding to be named as new Devils play-by-play announcer

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Like me for example:

Me: And Severson sails a home run pass from behind the goal line just past the outstretched stick of Jesper Bratt at the center red line. It will be an icing as Adam Fox touches up behind his goal line and they will face it off again in the NJ end. With that on the horizon we will be back after this from Fan Duel.

Mrs My 3 Sons: Will you shut up already. You aren’t broadcasting the game and I’m not going to let you watch if you insist on wearing a suit to sit in front of the tv and force the dogs to listen to you do this. They don’t like hockey. Now take off that broken headset and get the overflowing hamper in the bedroom and run the wash if you want to actually do something useful.

See, you should use the dogs as colour commentary.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I dunno if it’s considered off topic for this thread but i’d love to hear what people didn’t like about Cangelosi. I can definitely tell there was something about him that didn’t feel like other announcers, but i don’t know how I’d describe it.
I thought he was arrogant for a guy who never played nor coached the game - as if his opinion were gospel.

And his voice sounded like he was still in his teens.

You could tell he put a fraction of the work into his craft that professionals like Doc, Mike Breen or Marv Albert did.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I like his voice and PBP in the samples. I'll be definitely listening to your MSG feed next year when the Jackets play against NJ.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I thought he was arrogant for a guy who never played nor coached the game - as if his opinion were gospel.

You could tell he put a fraction of the work into his craft that professionals like Doc, Mike Breen or Marv Albert did.
I’ll give you the last part but the rest sounds ludicrous. Doc never played or coached. I think very few PBP announcers have. They’re just people who love sports and love watching them and found a way to do that for a job.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I never found him to be arrogant at all. He sometimes was goofy, especially with the out of town scoreboard updates late in the year until we were officially eliminated from the playoffs. Which seemed to stop in the last few years, maybe because he finally had enough of it lol. Or maybe it was someone at the network pushing that. The production manager or whoever. To try and make it more interesting.

I also don’t understand the accusation that He didn’t put a fraction of the work into his craft that those guys did. I thought he put a lot into his work. It’s okay that he’s not as good as those guys.

I understand not liking his voice, as there’s plenty of voices I can’t stand (Jeanneret) that are critically acclaimed.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I’ll give you the last part but the rest sounds ludicrous. Doc never played or coached. I think very few PBP announcers have. They’re just people who love sports and love watching them and found a way to do that for a job.
That was my point. Doc, Marv, and for those on here who are a little older the great Jim Gordon never played the sports they covered.

Unlike a significant segment of current sportscaster, they never took themselves more seriously than the game and made pronouncements as if they were experts.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

The arrogant thing is just silly. He didn't give off that impression at all.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I think the issue is with Dano and Elderly Chico. Doc was masterful at being neutral and even keeled. Chico was the offbeat excitable guy. As he got older he was all over the place. Dano was terrible when he started. Unlike Doc who can anchor those guys, Cangi feeds the beasts.

Example: Dano will say they F’d up a call (they didn’t, he is a homer). Cangi will go on tangent about said messed-up call. Turns out the call was right; Dano is a homer and Cangi looks stupid.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I think the issue is with Dano and Elderly Chico. Doc was masterful at being neutral and even keeled. Chico was the offbeat excitable guy. As he got older he was all over the place. Dano was terrible when he started. Unlike Doc who can anchor those guys, Cangi feeds the beasts.

Example: Dano will say they F’d up a call (they didn’t, he is a homer). Cangi will go on tangent about said messed-up call. Turns out the call was right; Dano is a homer and Cangi looks stupid.
Definitely some of that. After a while some of the excuses they would make to try and justify the inferior product and lack of commitment on the ice really soaked any of the credibility from the broadcasts.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Definitely some of that. After a while some of the excuses they would make to try and justify the inferior product and lack of commitment on the ice really soaked any of the credibility from the broadcasts.
He was the f***ing PBP guy, I don’t know observations you expected him to express here. You’re complaining about the team, not the guy.
Or just complaining to complain.

Cangy wasn’t going to be whiny and negative all the time, even if you like that sort of thing.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
6q07zi.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It’s usually Dano trying to justify and rationalize the on-ice product more than Cangy.

It was almost always Dano, not quite as much Cangy.

Usually the color commentator does sound off a little more on that stuff though, that’s part of his job, while the play by play mostly just does the play by play and gives a few plugs and maybe a few other words.

Even by the end of the year Dano finally seemed to capitulate and join #itsthegoaliesfault.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
This guys transition to his new job will be easier if we are winning more games. Daneyko really.vot annoying when the Devils were losing or playing bad to the point where I would listen to the other teams feed when the Devils were on the road.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad